jacob_uno

Lego is now the World's biggest toy maker.

They're #1 already? :laugh: Wasn't it just last year when they got ahead of Hasbro? Everything is awesome indeed :grin: What's most impressive about this is the fact that they went from near bankruptcy to #1 within 14 years despite still being a family business without any ties to the stock market :thumbup: Take that, Megasuck and Unkreative- O :tongue:

Imagine how much more they would sell if they made more of the harder to get sets and lower prices.

Imagine how much more they would sell if they made more of the harder to get sets and lower prices.

Is that really so? I wonder. Investors buy-up relatively large quantities to sell later. If they were not there, the same numbers may still be sold but then to the real collector over a longer period of time. But maybe you're right. I can only hope that LEGO has an adequate marketing intelligence unit so they know what they are doing...

For those thinking that TLG should lower prices now that they are the #1 toy manufacturer, you are forgetting the history of their near bankruptcy when they were trying to compete with companies like Mega on price. One of the (many) reasons they came out of bankruptcy is because they realized people bought LEGO because it was LEGO... they were the premium building brick brand, and so could stop losing money by charging more than the other guys. Prices slowly rose... and so did sales, as they got more lucrative licenses; they cut their other losses (non-building related things like running the theme parks, making videos and video games - all of which they licensed off to other companies to do), and now they are a very strong company.

Don't get me wrong... I complain about their huge profit margins all the time - they could cut prices 10% across the board and still be making a higher profit margin than most companies. On some properties - especially the smaller things, like polybags and CMFs, they could cut the price 25% and still be making a higher margin than most companies.

But TLG is to toys what Apple is to the computing industry... they are the high end; the luxury product of the toy industry. They are substantially better quality than most competitors; marginally better than the others... but always better, and until someone rivals their quality and the scope of their products, they will always be able to demand a premium for their product.

Think about the news recently: you don't see big Megablock heists! LEGO is now up there with expensive commodities like jewelry and expensive electronics! It's unbelievable, frankly.

I was browsing the news this afternoon and stumbled upon this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lego-movie-pushes-company-earnings-up-11-1.2756728

The article states "The company racked up more than $2 billion U.S. in sales during the first six months of 2014. That was slightly better than the past two quarterly sales numbers at Mattel combined, which means Lego is currently the world's biggest toy seller."

Rejoice people, our beloved hobby is back where it belongs; #1 spot!

Wonderful news!

A natural selection by the people of the world.

Long live Lego!