Sign in to follow this  
Paul B Technic

Improving MOCs

A general question: when you have built a MOC, in the future do you ever go back and change / improve it based on new parts you have or different ideas you have found since building it the first time?

Back in May I built a road roller attachment for my Unimog, last night I was getting all my attachments out for a photo, when I looked at this I saw that I had some different parts now which looked better and made it work better. Is this something that other people do? or once something is built do you keep it as is. I am now going to go back over all my attachments and see where I can improve them.

I'm constantly updating most of my MOCs, especially my huey helicopters. That's the great thing about building with LEGO, you can go back and change designs when you see something new.

For my Modular building MOCs they usually have a period of modification of 1 month to 6 weeks after I complete the original build to get the building to look the way I want and get the particular color parts that I need from Bricklink stores and the like. As far as my Space MOCs, some of those I built over a year ago and I still find ways to make improvements to them based on improvements in my building skills or weak points found in the MOC after an AFOL con. Even my latest MOC which I will debut in a "beta" form at Philly BrickFest next weekend will not be ready for its 1.0 release until the display that we will have at PhilCon in November. Seems I have an issue with the way I setup my motor on my first locomotive so I will have to rebuild this MOC to make it more robust for future shows. But, I am not going to miss a chance to show off the work that is finished even though the battle hardend, show ready version wont be ready for another 8 weeks. Being this is my first train MOC, I am not sure how far the rework stage will continue, but I estimate a minor rework of this piece after each event just to make sure the parts and mechanicals are in good shape. So this one will need love on a regular basis as long as it is being used for events which is typical of my PowerFunction based creations.

I hope this long winded explanation of my method helps you out in some way. But at least it was better than saying "It depends" and leaving it up to your imagination.

Yeah sometimes I improve them and sometimes I just "freeze" them. Depends really... If there are some serious flaws than improve, if there's just some small insignificant stuff than I dont rly bother.