BaronSat

Puerto Brico

Hello everybody,

First I wanted to say I'm glad to have found a forum about Pirates that's rare and that's one of the reason that makes me build this model. The other one must be a movie I recently saw ;-)

Secondly I could have use the "Hello my name is..." forum first but I had nothing very interesting to say about me, so I much prefer to come here directly and present you my last MOC :

"Puerto Brico".

1_puerto_brico.jpg

Tell me what do you think of that model,

Eric Druon a.k.a. BaronSat

October 7th 2006 : I have updated the link to BS as it seems the old one didn't work anymore???

My BrickShelf folder

Baron Sat you certainly have some talent! This is brilliant! If this were an official LEGO set I would rush out and buy this without hesitation. You've just done everything right. Wel maybe not quite everything but I'll go into further analysis a little later on.

Are you some form of graphic designer or artist? You also seem to have good presentation skills as well.

Baron Sat you certainly have some talent! This is brilliant! If this were an official LEGO set I would rush out and buy this without hesitation. You've just done everything right. Wel maybe not quite everything but I'll go into further analysis a little later on.

Are you some form of graphic designer or artist? You also seem to have good presentation skills as well.

Hello Mr Phes,

Thansk for the compliments. It's always difficult, there was many more things I wanted to put in that model but it would ahve been MUCH MUCH larger and I wanted to keep it on two 32x32 baseplates.

You're right I'm a graphic artist, so when I don't build I'm working on photos and fonts. Skills helps for creating nice pictures with Lego MOCs.

I noticed your banner with the sun goes down, it's pretty nice.

BaronSat! I go to your webite sometimes! It's fun to see you here!

Your pirate moc is really good, and the presentation too!

Welcom to Eurobicks!

You're right I'm a graphic artist, so when I don't build I'm working on photos and fonts. Skills helps for creating nice pictures with Lego MOCs.

I noticed your banner with the sun goes down, it's pretty nice.

Actually I've created most of the graphics in the Pirate LEGO forum! Needless to say I'm already disatisfied with them and will probably give them an upgrade some time in the future when I get time. At the moment I don't have much time to post let alone design graphics for the forum, which is because I'm designing graphics for a heap of other projects.

if you ever want to help out in the Pirate LEGO Signature & Avatar Workshop by all means do so.

Anyway, back to your MOC. One thing that stands out to me is the flag. Its the Blue Coat Imperial Guard flag on what appears to be an Imperial Armada structure. My only thought is if you happen to have an Imperial Armada flag then swap them over.

BaronSat! I go to your webite sometimes! It's fun to see you here!

Your pirate moc is really good, and the presentation too!

Welcom to Eurobicks!

Hi Alex54,

Yes, there's a long time I read news and post on Eurobrick and it's the pirates forum that makes me subscribe even if not big in forums probably because english isn't my frist language... but you know what I mean ;-)

Thanks did you saw the other photos? My BS folder is now moderated.

Eric

Actually I've created most of the graphics in the Pirate LEGO forum! Needless to say I'm already disatisfied with them and will probably give them an upgrade some time in the future when I get time. At the moment I don't have much time to post let alone design graphics for the forum, which is because I'm designing graphics for a heap of other projects.

if you ever want to help out in the Pirate LEGO Signature & Avatar Workshop by all means do so.

Anyway, back to your MOC. One thing that stands out to me is the flag. Its the Blue Coat Imperial Guard flag on what appears to be an Imperial Armada structure. My only thought is if you happen to have an Imperial Armada flag then swap them over.

You don't have to be disatified with the graphics I like them and the environment they create. But if I can help, I'll be pleased. I will check the forum you mentioned and see if I can do something.

About the flag it's one of the thing I didn't finished. I wanted to create one in a "spanish spirit" but must admit I simply forgot it after I put it on the fort. I will probably Photoshop the photos with the correct flag that will be faster.

Very well done!

There's some excellent details, the vessel fits in well, and the presentation, as others have said, is great.

Oh yes - I love the name too.

Brick Miner is also a graphic artist and he's been designing skins for some of our other forums like LEGO History & Adventure.

Yes, they're very good. Or should I say NEARLY good :-D

You guys are good which makes me feel like I have to lift my game! The graphics for the Pirate forum skin are ok but given that I made the skin over one weekend so it was probably a bit rushed. After seeing what you guys have done it make me want to do a better job!

And that's a good feeling, I mean wanted to do better.

Anyway, I wanted to ask what program and which process(es) did you go through to create those sails?

First I used Adode Illustrator to make the template from existing Lego sails. It an interesing software because it use vectorized lines. Then I imported them in Photoshop* to put the pattern and designs. They are printed on thick paper and I applied a coat of matt varnish.

* Graphic artists can only survive a few hours if you take them out of their Photoshop environment!!!

love the independent look of the port. it captures what LEGO missed, the everyday life in the pirate world.

They tried with Imperial Trading Post but its not as good as this! This MOC could easily be the Imperial Armada equivalent of the Imperial Trading Post with a few modifications.

A set I don't own... hm, maybe it's my subconscious that built that MOC???!!!

Very well done!

There's some excellent details, the vessel fits in well, and the presentation, as others have said, is great.

Small ships are difficult to make, I was afraid that the smooth aspect of the hull would look to modern but finally it turns well. Thanks to the mast, sails and ropes.

Oh yes - I love the name too.

It's just the translation of "Port Brique" (a name from Lugnet if I remember well) into a poor spanish language (sorry I don't speak spanish) but I found it sounds good untill I understood why... I mean the song :

"Puerto (B)rico - My heart's devotion - Let it sink back in the ocean..." as they sing in West side story :-D

Anyway, I wanted to ask what program and which process(es) did you go through to create those sails?

First I used Adode Illustrator to make the template from existing Lego sails. It an interesing software because it use vectorized lines. Then I imported them in Photoshop* to put the pattern and designs. They are printed on thick paper and I applied a coat of matt varnish.

The sails look very good and I couldn't tell they were made from paper in that image. Were you going to make flags using a similiar process? You could make a unqiue flag for the ship or you could replicate the Imperial Armada Flag.

The sails look very good and I couldn't tell they were made from paper in that image. Were you going to make flags using a similiar process? You could make a unqiue flag for the ship or you could replicate the Imperial Armada Flag.

Yes, I'm much more efficient with paper than with fabric... fabric terrify me *wacko*

About the flag I'm not sure. In a first time I will use an image of the Armada flag to correct my photos but I really like to make my own design for later photos. As I wrote there's still some details that needs work but I wanted to post this model before I forget it in one of my stock boxes (that happened to many military vehicles and playsets). But I need to document on the 18th century spanish flags and logos.

Nice MOC ! I really like the mix of cultures you managed to add to this little town. It gives the scene this exotic feeling that too many pirates creations are missing. I alos like the fact you created a port, it's so good to see some real buildings instead of a lonely ship :-)

If only lego would have made this set....

Looks really great. I envy your talent.

I'm afraid I could never make such a nice design with so many original details in it.

I see that you are also a Star Trek and Star Wars fan.

If you lived in Belgium, I would invite you. I think we could talk for hours :-).

Nice MOC ! I really like the mix of cultures you managed to add to this little town. It gives the scene this exotic feeling that too many pirates creations are missing. I alos like the fact you created a port, it's so good to see some real buildings instead of a lonely ship :-)

Hi jipay,

Thanks. "Feeling", that what I tried to put in this model so I'm pleased it works.

I love sets, vehicles are great too but I really enjoy building places. That makes me think that I haven't shot the ship alone!!! Not that is such a piece but it has opening part behind with a small canon. Let's hope there'll be some sun tomorrow for more shooting.

Should be some sun shining. But Sunday it will be occasionaly raining. I'd be interested into some more shots of the ship itself, as I assume many other members would be. Those guys are just crazy about ships, sometimes they don't even know how to build something else ! :-D

Very Impressive, I love the amount of detail, I think a moc can never have to much detail.

I've seen your brickshelf folder before, you have one of the very best Star trek mocs and one of the only Jules Verne mocs, the other also The Nautilis belonging to another EB member. Job well done! *y*

fortin_back.jpg

Oooooooooooo! Look at those Imperial Armada mini-figures! Are these the same three mini-figures in the first picture or do you actually have that enough you can afford to put three around the back?

If only lego would have made this set....

Looks really great. I envy your talent.

I'm afraid I could never make such a nice design with so many original details in it.

I see that you are also a Star Trek and Star Wars fan.

If you lived in Belgium, I would invite you. I think we could talk for hours :-).

Hi Bonaparte,

And I wish (or you I say I dream, like one zillion of other builders) that Lego would buy my model and produce it :-|

You're resourceful too, I saw you're army and it's impressive. Now stop building armies and build ... buildings.

- This free advice was given to you by BaronSat corp. unlimited - BaronSat corp. is good for you - End of subliminal message------

Thanks for the invitation but I live in France in Bordeaux and rarely go out of my town.

Should be some sun shining. But Sunday it will be occasionaly raining. I'd be interested into some more shots of the ship itself, as I assume many other members would be. Those guys are just crazy about ships, sometimes they don't even know how to build something else ! :-D

That remind me some Star Wars maniacs that can only build fighters, fighters and fighters. That must be a current symptom :-D

Baron Sat, what inspired you to build this MOC? Do you have an interest in Pirate LEGO or did you feel that it was time you made a pirate MOC because you've been focusing on other themes in the past?

A great MOC indeed! I wish i could just take the steam bus and leave my petit village and have a

trip through the wilderness with a nice break at the tavern and buy myself a ticket for the galileo

(because i don

THe small ship is excellent... everyone else has summed up the rest of the model. I would also run out and buy this model, excellent. if you take more pictures of the ship i would like to see it. Those hulls only come in so many colors.... i think white and blue made a really nice spanish ship.... anyway good work....

Very Impressive, I love the amount of detail, I think a moc can never have to much detail.

I've seen your brickshelf folder before, you have one of the very best Star trek mocs and one of the only Jules Verne mocs, the other also The Nautilis belonging to another EB member. Job well done! *y*

Do you speak of the brown Nautilus, the one with the Disney look? It's really a great piece.

My version is an old MOC and would need to be redone as I did for the ST shuttle or Bridge.

I wonder if it can be considered as a Pirates ship? It's an attack ships and the crew is made with Pirates... but of course it's 2 centuries younger and doesn't requires wind to travel... definitively too modern for Pirates.

fortin_back.jpg

Oooooooooooo! Look at those Imperial Armada mini-figures! Are these the same three mini-figures in the first picture or do you actually have that enough you can afford to put three around the back?

Phes,

No, they are the same. You know when I shoot my model I'm like a movie director, I say to my minifigures to do that or go there : "Now everyone go in the front of the fort - now you two the in fort - and you the red shirt go swim with the shark" and they generally obey, particularly the military ones :-D