Bricktrix

MOC: 2-6-0 Standard Class 4MT

1small.jpg

This ones not for the faint hearted!

I decided to go with sticker lining on the boiler rather than keep it a "legal build" for 2 reasons.

1. The stickers dont move, whereas the red rubber bands can do at the slightest touch when picked up.

2. The stickers "wrapped" around the boiler pieces help keep it all in shape if an accident occurs at a show, greatly improving rebuild time and less stress for me also :wink:

Flickr full album:

Many more pics on Brickshelf:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=497656

This ones not for the faint hearted!

Or more precisely - give up now and bow down in the presence of beauty. Wow.

Beautiful work there Carl you have captured the spirit of this locomotive so well, the level of detail you have lavished on this model is superb and would equally match any O gauge model for detail, the BR standards are probably the hardest to model due to the large number of external fittings compared to the usually clean lines of British locomotives :sweet: .

When you do get to take her to PW's can you take a camera as I would like to see a picture of his jaw dropping when you show him :laugh: .

I think possibly the phrase "I didn't think it was Lego at first" exists simply to describe all your trains.

Flawless execution. Thank you for sharing these with us and, once again, the bar has been raised.

Raised? The bar is as unreachable as it gets - but in all honesty, seeing such beautiful creations shouldn't put one off. For me personally, this is precisely the type of MOC that inspires me to keep plucking away at my attempts to build a half-decent train MOC.

It's a beautiful engine, but seriously... valve gear? *jaw drop* And I really like your solution regarding the whole stickers vs. purist build issue. Considering how much the stickers have contributed not simply design-wise, I'd say it's a perfect decision. Besides, it is awesome to hear that pro builders are not sticklers for purism but would instead actually opt for the better solution, even if it's not the more complex one.

Thank you all again for the great comments.

I'm honoured that so many take inspiration from my models, as I'm aware that I can push some boundaries over some comfort zones, but thats what is so great about this hobby, you dont have to, or if you want to, you dont have to take it as far.

Inspiration to me is what this hobby is all about, no matter how big or small. I took much inspiration from other builders when I got back into this, not just from the masters in this niche but also from new starters with more basic builds that may have had just one "golden nugget" of an idea hidden within their model that was an excellent "building block" to start from.

The "raising bar" or "taking things to the next level" that so many talk about is a never ending circle, in a few months it becomes the standard, then it gets raised again....but in no way should a high level ever put anyone off having a go for themselves (see above quote for what YOU "may" bring to the table)

That says to me that builders are looking at ways of improving their game....This in itself fills me with excitement for the future of this niche and TLG's parts, as I'm in awe of whats going to be "the norm" in a few years time. i.e. just how much higher will that bar have gone....Jupiter?!!.....and where will the "norm" then lay?

Carl

WOW...fantastic train. All pieces where it intended to be.. :thumbup:

Greetings new friend,

while indeed there are all sorts of interesting bits in old threads like this, please do not bump an old topic just to add a small comment or ask a quick question. Few of the readers will remember the original discussion and it just becomes confusing for the regular readers.

If you have questions for the original poster you can try sending them a private message. You can also start a new thread if you have a related topic that is not a direct continuation. Of course if you do have a substantial follow up to an old thread it is sometimes appropriate to do a bump like this, e.g., "I finally built this and found...."