Murdoch17

Back To The Future - Jules Verne time train (steam locomotive) - real life MOC

Thrice upon a Time, in a city called Hill Valley California, there was a time machine made out of a Delorean sports car. But this is not about that device and it's many adventures, but a special steam engine that could also travel in time. It was known as...

THE TIME TRAIN

42349443231_d90eb1b0ab_z.jpg

The Back to the Future (BTTF) Time Train "Jules Verne" has been made in real bricks, and is heavily inspired by he one Team BTTF had presented in their rejected LEGO Ideas model.

42349443241_141d514973_z.jpg

In BTTF part III, the engine itself was really built, but the tender was CGI animated. The engine used in the film can be seen at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida

42349443431_4ee460afe4_z.jpg

On the original model, parts of it would spin and the engine could be motorized via Power Functions. I removed those features to save money and make it weight less. I did add working pistons to the model, though.

42349443341_491e74a1af_z.jpg

The tender of the time train.

42349443501_5596fb12a6_z.jpg

"Doc" Emmett Brown (left) and his wife Clara (right) with the time train front and center.

EDIT 4/14/15: I removed the cab interior and changed the orange parts on the tender, along with refining the front end. Also, the gizmo no longer spins.

EDIT 5/9/18: Added newer pictures, revised the text, and changed some parts of the model to fit into a 10 wide space.

28236376288_9ffc78528a_z.jpg

EDIT 5/14/18: All but two Bricklink orders are in my hands, with one coming tomorrow and the other on it's way.

EDIT 5/20/18: Added real life pictures and revised the text.

EDIT 5/25/18: Added revised picture showing the working pistons. The updated LDD file for the finished model is available at Bricksafe.

Edited by Murdoch17

I posted my version in the first post.

Can a Moderator please move this to the thread Licensed forum?

Edited by Murdoch17

Could a moderator change the topic title to BTTF Time train MOD? I updated the ldd file and pictures, and the topic is kinda misleading.

15637470509_748617e394_z.jpg

Here is my dramatic shot of the train.

Edited by Murdoch17

18 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

This part here ( bricklink link ) is the one you need.

thank you, as it said rigid while we needed to bend it i wasn't sure :)

Can this piece 64424c01 be used on locmotive and tender to join them, or are there better solutions? Sorry but i'm new to lego trains.

Any suggestions on minifig for all the family?

thanks for your patience

Edited by MOMAtteo79

3 hours ago, MOMAtteo79 said:

thank you, as it said rigid while we needed to bend it i wasn't sure :)

Can this piece 64424c01 be used on locmotive and tender to join them, or are there better solutions? Sorry but i'm new to lego trains.

Any suggestions on minifig for all the family?

thanks for your patience

I would suggest the second version of the coupler: 91968c01 as the other one you linked to can drag the ground when going up even slight inclines / bumps in table, at least in my experience.

The family depends of peach skin or yellow skin: the original BTTF set figures are peach, but yellow is way more common. Which are you going to use?

I would stick to the other minifig style of bttf, so peach color. Il liked this ones here (or something like that), but can't find references :) I suppose they are custom.

Sorry to be such a newbie on this but are the pieces  like 91968c01 or  64424c01 sold in couples even on bricklink?

BTW , have you ever build it in the end?

On 10/26/2017 at 9:29 AM, MOMAtteo79 said:

I would stick to the other minifig style of bttf, so peach color. Il liked this ones here (or something like that), but can't find references :) I suppose they are custom.

SNIP

Sorry to be such a newbie on this but are the pieces  like 91968c01 or  64424c01 sold in couples even on bricklink?

BTW , have you ever build it in the end?

With regards to the figures, yes, they are custom sticker torsos. The magnetic couplers are sold in different amounts according to how many the seller has. You just have to enter in the amount you want (3) from the store you choose. I generally buy from my own country's stores, (USA) and skip the stores from far away places (Hawaii and Alaska)... you save a lot on shipping and handling / customs by buying in your home country. Also, no I didn't built it, but someone in my local LEGO User Group (LUG) did... it looks pretty awesome! The reason for me not building it is storage space for the extra-big-and-wide model is at a premium. Simply put: it's just to big for my storage system!

BUMP:

Main post EDIT 5/9/18: Added newer pictures, revised the text, and changed some parts of the model's file to fit into a 10 wide space. This train now can fit on my Eads bridge, go through my Western mine, and inside my train shed with room to spare.

28236376288_9ffc78528a_z.jpg

Most of the Back To The Future time train should arrive today (has arrived) with the rest coming later this week. Consider this a teaser of things to come!

Edited by Murdoch17

Thrice upon a Time, in a city called Hill Valley California, there was a time machine made out of a Delorean sports car. But this is not about that device and it's many adventures, but a special steam engine that could also travel in time. It was known as...

THE TIME TRAIN

40409749840_3031fb00bb_z.jpg

(co-staring "Doc" Emmett Brown and his wife Clara)

More pictures coming soon!

Sorry for the bump, but the first post has been updated with new real-world pictures and revised text!

On 11/18/2014 at 2:32 PM, Murdoch17 said:

THE TIME TRAIN

42185233402_1e8c1dd936_z.jpg

:drool: That's pretty darn sweet! Nicely done. :thumbup:

On 5/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, LegoMonorailFan said:

:drool: That's pretty darn sweet! Nicely done. :thumbup:

Thanks, and I think you really are gonna like this update @LegoMonorailFan!

42349443431_4ee460afe4_z.jpg

Here we see the model with added pistons, which i have recreated in the updated LDD file!

Enjoy!

Edited by Murdoch17