AllanSmith

My 2011 town layout at the Taupo Hobby Expo

indexed.gif Layout

Once a year I get make a LEGO town out of my sets (1000+) in storage and show it off. A 300km trip from Wellington to the storage unit in Napier. Two weeks there to plan, build and test the layout. Pack it up then another 150km trip from Napier to the Taupo for the Hobby Show.

A video of the town layout

A view along the layout.

taupo2011a.jpg

taupo2011b.jpg

taupo2011d.jpg

taupo2011e.jpg

taupo2011f.jpg

taupo2011g.jpg

taupo2011h.jpg

taupo2011i.jpg

taupo2011j.jpg

taupo2011k.jpg

Close ups

taupo2011ka.jpg

taupo2011l.jpg

taupo2011m.jpg

taupo2011n.jpg

taupo2011o.jpg

taupo2011oa.jpg

taupo2011ob.jpg

taupo2011p.jpg

taupo2011q.jpg

taupo2011r.jpg

taupo2011ra.jpg

taupo2011s.jpg

taupo2011t.jpg

taupo2011u.jpg

taupo2011v.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the layout as much as I enjoyed showing it off. :classic:

Edited by Phred

Looks like a great town. I love the Flintston's car that you have in the traffic. Great use of power functions with the construction site.

Excellent layout 'Allen', though I will say AWESOME to all the power functioning of the construction site !

My approach to displaying is different than yours or in fact everyone else....I like the kids having a play with some (not all) of display. That's what Lego is for ! :classic:

Brick On ! :grin:

Looks like a great town. I love the Flintston's car that you have in the traffic. Great use of power functions with the construction site.

Thanks. Crane has three older geared Technic motors (trolley, hook and swing) and is controlled by a 8485 Technic Control Centre II. Edited by AllanSmith

Why the heck did you put Market Street on fire???? Those things are $1000USD now! *oh2*

I like your supercharged grand Emporium.

There's a lot going on; is there anything going to happen off your under-construction building?

Incredible and large layout! *oh2*

Too many details!!! I like the airfield with that beautiful glider :blush: ...the luna park, the limousine with police cars, the broken road near the mech-warrior ...all is FANTASTIC! :wub:

Fantastic, I just love the way you mixed in other themes and the odd humerous element here and there. I think what really sells it is the sheer amount of activity going on around the layout, it gives a genuine sense of life to the whole place.

Brilliant stuff!! So many little details and clever ideas... I especially like the Hazmat guys and their cracked road, and the drive in!!

Superb!!

Looking at all of those tiny details makes me think it would be great fun if you had a handout with things to look for!

So much fun to look at!

How do you find the fence as a barrier? We have been using simple rope barriers but we have to keep pushing them out as kids (and parents) move them forward. I would think the fence is quite high for kids to see over.

How do you find the fence as a barrier? We have been using simple rope barriers but we have to keep pushing them out as kids (and parents) move them forward. I would think the fence is quite high for kids to see over.

Fence works very well. It is a cheap expandable trellis fence. There is concrete in the LEGO buckets. Small kids can look through the trellis, there are photos of this towards the end of the longer video. :wink:

taupo2011w.jpg

Edited by AllanSmith

Why is the carousel bigger then houses? Why is a walking shark in the town?

Ask LEGO why they designed the carousel so big :sceptic:

The shark, gorilla and clown are off to catch the train to a fancy dress party. :tongue:

Fence works very well. It is a cheap expandable trellis fence. There is concrete in the LEGO buckets. Small kids can look through the trellis, there are photos of this towards the end of the longer video. :wink:

Ah, thanks for that. I just watched the regular video not the video with bonus features. :grin:

The line is original set, right?

Don't understand the question. All the trains, track and monorail are from LEGO sets.

Looks Great! Shame I missed it - the weather wasn't very conducive to travelling last weekend :cry_sad:

Always next year though!

This is a great layout! It's so busy yet not cluttered. I love the integration of the different themes. I saw at least 6 different ones, well done. You made them fit in so well it seems like they belong in the City theme.