pacc

MOD - 3221 / 7848 European style

Hi,

Here is my attempt at building an european style truck from the LEGO or Toys'r us trucks.

I have a review of it modified and built with real bricks further down this thread.

Even the standard city truck was hard with the bricks available and the result

used more rounded slopes. Suicide doors!

The trailer is dragged by one of the plentiful handles,

good enough since the 6 large walls are due to be used in some simple houses.

If you like it I guess there are a few more parts to pimp it up with.

Only four blue 2x1 grills used from Toys'r us shop, you need to find yellow

stud plates and exchange some hidden parts if you are using the lego truck.

I'm sure you already have some spare parts anyway but that would not be a true MODification.

MOCB_7848_Toys_r_us_truck.zip

Oh, and the younger kids will need to put the flat bricks under the roofplates for playability.

Post pictures if you build it ;) / Patrik

Edited by pacc

Got a brickshelf account instead for images and lxf files: pacc at brickshelf

Somehow I misplaced some bricks and got a slightly better result with the Lego truck

and it's probably possible to fix the Toy's r us version aswell. (lxf files slightly modified)

3221_moc.png

From the lack of comments I guess most people like the semi truck and are a bit bored with the old 7733 style...

Very interesting primemover designs there 'pacc', what kind of truck brand is it based on ?

And don't worry about people commenting...sometimes it takes us a while to wake up ! :laugh:

Keep on LDDing 'pacc' keep on LDDing ! :sweet:

The design came mainly from the lack of available bricks..

Since the cab and the cassis seems to be separate the best match

will probably be some kind of renault.

It may look better with the grill wedged upwards or something like this.

post-13824-128877308787.gif

Got a brickshelf account instead for images and lxf files: pacc at brickshelf

Somehow I misplaced some bricks and got a slightly better result with the Lego truck

and it's probably possible to fix the Toy's r us version aswell. (lxf files slightly modified)

3221_moc.png

From the lack of comments I guess most people like the semi truck and are a bit bored with the old 7733 style...

Nice work.. it is difficult to make such a truck with limited bricks...but you've done a great job, i think! I like the little yellow desk as well, you've got an eye for detail!! You should do the same with the cargotrain or passengertrain.. could be nice!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Pretty interesting truck LDD designs pacc, especially on the front grilles, though it looks kinda weird with the recessed gaps in front. Did you base this on real-life trucks? Any ref. pics?

It was hard to find a design to fit around the wheels,

tough there are lots of trucks that have the cab suspended

'on top' of the chassis and the recess can show this look.

Most real trucks looks kind of boring if you don't exaggerate

the grills so I went with more yellow and more grills.

For a more realistic look I think the middle one looks

quite like a renault, maybe even more so with a yellow brick

instead of the gray one on top of the bumper.

3221_variants.png

I like the latest designs better than the first ones, and I agree that the middle does look like a Renault. With the earlier designs, I didn't like the grilles on the front of the trucks, they look unrealistic. Overall, well done on your truck designs, they are even better considering that they are made from a limited variety of bricks. :classic:

~buddy~

I finally bought the 7848 and had a chance to try this out in real,

since it's late night there won't be any pictures but I had to change

the lxf to include structural updates for much better stability and to fit the minifig inside..

Playtest tomorrow will show if it's good enough and cool enough.

3221_mod_final.jpg

Final lxf file

Iveco and Mercedes are most close on the road, now I wish mine was yellow like our postal distributors:

3828.jpg

2868.jpg

(Two 2x1 plates left outside the model since the lxf and actual roof slopes did not match,

they need to be switched to yellow ones (sacrifice the fusilage) exchanged to the 1x4 under

the door and put in the roof for stability. I just picked one up in the scrap heap...)

Edited by pacc

Review:

I like this truck better than the original mainly because I never see any other type here in europe.

Since it uses almost all parts It's a good value, perhaps the 3221 has a better colormatched trailer.

I wish all Lego sets had alternative sets planned, this seems like the lucky exception. Though all that is needed is some clever exchange of hidden parts and/or breakup of larger parts for other models. A 10x6 plate, two 12 long bricks and some sort of telephone booth (no phone) is left over together with the large sloped roof.

The total length is 41.5 studs compared to the original 49. I'd say less ridiculous, kids will cry.

1.jpg

My son soon overcame that the truck he built was gone and started to deliver goods to the toy store.

The trailer mechanism worked pretty good except in narrow turns, but was easy to hinge on and off.

It only broke down once, which is normal for a 3 year old. The main container was secured by replacing

some parts and I had to remove the motor grills from the roof to please the kid.

To compare, the original truck did not have a proper hinge mechanism either and had to be rebuilt once and again. The front bumper also fell easily so the durability did not suffer for the alternative model.

2.jpg

An extra handle found use to hold the box loader, a function missing in the original.

3.jpg

Internally it naturally loses the bed but the driver has coffee and a computer with delivery schedules easily available.

The roof became rigid enough to pull off easily, but it's secured with too many studs for a small kid.

Despite being one big part the original design was too stiff to hinge and frequently fell off instead.

Improvements? Lego should have included a 2x2 turning plate for the trailer (both original and alternative) I would also wish for some blank plates under the roof and smaller interlocking parts in the cab.

Even though I prefer this variant to the original I will rate them equal, because the alternative model increases it's value. Try it out and decide yourself.

The truck I do really like especially the front end/cab is AWESOME though the rear trailer is okay.

Great work and keep on trucking ! :sweet:

Hi everyone. Nice builds here. Have made one myself as a test project for my son. 3 axel truck and 3 axel traile with turn on the front wheel on trailer and of course turn on hinge between truck and trailer.

Can post some pics tomorrow. I am a truck driver so i try to make it look as much as the trucks we drive here in Norway:)