greg3

Ballabreek 2016

Well a new year can only mean one thing.... a new topic for my Lego village, Ballabreek.

24021802871_6b4859ea32_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

First a look at the new improved shopping/residential area. Those who've seen previous Ballabreek topics will know the the village was originally designed in the Classic Town style of open backed buildings (usually only 6 or 8 studs wide) but I've recently been experimenting with the creator style buildings and seeing if they can be fitted in. Issues of available space and my desire to keep the village's standard road plate layout created a few problems but here's the result...

Main shopping street front - From left to right: Pizza place, gem store, bike repair shop, barbers.

23810127640_5893edfe68_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Rear of shops/residential street - the one way street still retains 2 parking bays but at the cost of 2 small houses which had to be "demolished". However adding living space above the shops means those 2 houses have been replaced by three 1st floor apartments.

24104378905_4f909573be_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Close up of the new shops - the hairdresser has moved from above the pizza place and like the bike repair shop has now got larger premises with accommodation upstairs. (just need to reprint the signs!!)

23996293102_3791b5110d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The bike shop is the original creator set while I changed the cafe/restaurant into a barbers (and added more furniture to the upstairs apartment)

24078338976_d7a4bcf853_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Upstairs kitchen - fridge, cooker, sink.

23476142984_3fd45452ed_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The 1st floor of the Pizza Shop is now more living space

23808740140_eda7b4b74f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I'm quite pleased with how the changes have come out and will now look at adding more creator style buildings to Ballabreek (a deli perhaps?) - especially in the centre of the layout where open backs don't really look right. Still plan to keep the Classic style building for around the edges though... for example this new blue/white building near the mine which is just waiting for an interior...

24021807411_8cd1932fff_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

..but what is it going to be? Any guesses? (it's not a car dealership!!)

Watch this space to find out!!

Thanks for looking - comments are always welcome!! (and Happy New Year!!)

Edited by greg3

A Happy New Year to you, too, greg3.

It is nice to see Ballabreek back on track for 2016 with new developments. I have been curious to see what would happen in the residential area. It is interesting with the new buildings making the pizzeria company. It is making the central area much more dense. I will miss the little two-family-house though.

With the new Creator houses fitting to City buildings, it raises the question whether or not the buildings should be open-backed. I recognize it makes the buildings more "whole" to have a back wall, though I still have a preference for open-back buildings. I guess I am one of few, so I am happy to see you still keep some of the buildings that way.

With the new Creator houses fitting to City buildings, it raises the question whether or not the buildings should be open-backed. I recognize it makes the buildings more "whole" to have a back wall, though I still have a preference for open-back buildings. I guess I am one of few, so I am happy to see you still keep some of the buildings that way.

Thanks for the comments. I have to admit to preferring the open back style (I like exposed studs too!!) but with TLG seeming to be releasing mainly closed back buildings at the moment I thought I should try to make use of them!! Now, on with this weeks update...

Will it be a television-studio?

Good idea - in fact I had considered a studio but until we get some more official TV sets it'll have to wait. But the building is actually owned by a small Space Tech company!! The grass area at the front is still a WIP... might get model space rockets etc to put there or just benches etc (might see about using the upcoming polybag park statue/fountain set) but the building is now done!!

24187517401_4695d71090_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The company focusses on developing and constructing cutting edge components for satellites, space probes and planetary exploration. As such, they employ some of the brightest scientific and engineering minds from around the world... most recently a group of (familiar looking!) young scientists from the California Institute of Technology. Let's see what they're up to...

The first floor of the building is taken up with offices and labs.

In this office, renowned theoretical physicist Dr Sheldon Cooper B.S. M.S. M.A. Ph.D Sc.D (OMG!) is working on the latest theories relating to dark matter (using data from subterranean detectors the company have set up in the neighbouring mine). Working with Dr Cooper (sorry, FOR Dr Cooper) is astrophysicist Dr Rajesh Koothrappali.

23902225809_28e1c1c580_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24161894412_75fd47c191_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Next door to them, neurobiologist Dr Amy Farrah Fowler is carrying out research into the central nervous system of starfish. The company hope to use this research to create an AI program that would link physically independent exploration robots together wirelessly, allowing any one of them to take control of the others if it finds something of interest (in the same way that the arms of a starfish work... if that's not right, blame Wikipedia not me!!)

23902183919_efa51ecf05_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

23641792624_7852be8142_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Most of the ground floor is taken up by a "clean room" where the company's hardware is assembled. The company's owner is keen to encourage the public to take an interest in science and space exploration so large windows allow people to see what they're working on.

24270020085_05e95e6f82_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Currently they are putting the finishing touches to a satellite due for launch later this year. It's designed to carry out a number of experiments and is the culmination of the work of several scientists... Here experimental physicist Dr Leonard Hofstadter is fitting the components to an experimental photomultiplier (a device intended to detect particles of dark matter).

23641804044_3fab6a5165_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Meanwhile, microbiologist Dr Bernadette Rostenkowski prepares samples of bacteria which will be used to investigate the effect of cosmic radiation on cell division and DNA.

23974435080_39b862910a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Alongside Drs Hofstadter and Rostenkowski is Mr Howard Wolowitz, the engineer responsible for designing and assembling the mechanical systems that will control the operation of the satellite's solar panels. (behind him you can see the double door airlock system used to keep the assembly room free from dust and other contamination.)

24270029185_c794f7601d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Finally we have the receptionist, Penny. An aspiring actress, to be honest she knows very little about the work going on in the building and is really only working there for the money and the free wifi she can use to browse for shoes!!

24161888012_f9d2c86137_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Finally a couple of overviews of the building

24187526601_279ee1a112_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24243939846_6735fd9224_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can tell I'm a bit of a Big Bang Theory fan and wanted to incorporate the Ideas set into my town (I also wanted to use some of the recent space sets too)... I hope you like it!!

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment!!

Edited by greg3

Your city is so nice - a real diarama! As far as I know, LEGO City was the first theme series - even before mini figures.And it's still popular because much is needed in a city: railway stations, shops etc. So your project would be a pearle of any LEGO exibition. I like the playability of your creation and that you combined a few different ideas in one set.

Thanks for the comments. I have to admit to preferring the open back style (I like exposed studs too!!) but with TLG seeming to be releasing mainly closed back buildings at the moment I thought I should try to make use of them!! ...

:thumbup:

I have also have some of the new City-sized Creator buildings. I plan to "cityfy" them with open backs :blush:

Haha, love the combination with the Big Bang theory, really nice idea!

Even though I am no fan of Big Bang Theory, I also think this combination with "city space" is brilliant. I think in general, greg3, you cleverly include a lot of different sets into Ballabreek and connect it all with a story.

I like what you do, except here's one thing I really don't like: The connection to the other themes and sets. I like it more when you focus on everyday town stuff because to me it seems a bit more normal.

Thanks for the comments... this week it's back to solving real life issues in the village, namely the problem of traffic!!

Like many real life places around the world Ballabreek's roads are becoming ever more congested as the volume of traffic continues to increase. Ever larger vehicles aren't helping either, so the people of Ballabreek are looking for solutions.. last year saw the introduction of a modern tram system and now they're looking to the sea to help.

Most of the traffic problems centre on a crossroads in the centre of the village where 2 main arterial routes meet. One suggested idea is to run a car ferry across the bay to allow cars to avoid this chokepoint and bypass the village centre. A potentially suitable vessel has been identified...

"The Rose"

24419152666_b9186bf236_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The vessel is a cable ferry. Here you can see the single cable that it uses to pull itself along.

24362894211_602b2a06dd_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The stationary cable runs under the deck through a series of guide pulleys to a centrally mounted winch which pulls the boat along. Reversing the winch allows the boat to travel in either direction.

24077561789_586f61321b_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Here you can see the winch mechanism below the deck grating.

24445383165_498069365c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

One man can control the vessel from the wheelhouse

24362894991_9fa2da3452_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

23817195914_c71637fccc_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

From here the direction and speed of the winch are controlled. Dual controls allow the vessel to be sailed just as easily in either direction.

24149756870_cfb612fac3_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The proposed crossing would take less than 20 minutes so passengers would probably remain in their vehicles but some protection from wind/spray is provided for those who'd rather enjoy the fresh air. In the event of an emergency there are several fire extinguishers.

24337068542_5394988bb7_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can tell, I've been working on MODing the new ferry set. I'd experimented with a winch mechanism that would have actually moved the boat by turning a handle but I just couldn't get it to work reliably. Eventually I settled on this static solution which at least makes the boat look a bit more plausible. I also added a way to reach the wheelhouse and blocked up the gaps in the hull where possible.

As for whether it'll really end up in Ballabreek? Well we'll have to see as it'd involve a pretty major redesign of the beach area... maybe adding a new slipway/ramp? (the rock/pumping station would have to go though!!)

24445377795_799eb50e4c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Anyway, thanks for looking.... comments are always welcome!!

Oh, and the boat is named after one of 3 conventional double ended steam ferries (Rose, Thistle and Shamrock) that operated near where I live during the early 20th century!!

Edited by greg3

I'd experimented with a winch mechanism that would have actually moved the boat by turning a handle but I just couldn't get it to work reliably. Eventually I settled on this static solution which at least makes the boat look a bit more plausible.

Nice ferry. It would have been nice to see it move with Power Functions.

Following on from the last update, work has been going on to turn Ballabreek's beach into a usable harbour area. The area has been dredged and a small seawall and slipway constructed.

24874250595_f482f36221_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24780853121_6ab4155023_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

While this has meant the loss of the beach, it does mean that it's now easier to visit the village by sea. The slipway also allows the launching of boats and is currently being trialled by the emergency services - here the fire brigade try out their new inshore hovercraft.

24506643609_bedc5307f4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24780858931_1cf9d973fd_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Locals and visitors can still use the area for recreation as the swimming area now has a pumping/filtration system to ensure the water is clean. A small sandy area outside the cafe is popular with families/children.

24756360222_89dbbc901a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24246097364_987747b450_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The area's nautical history is commemorated with a monument made from the anchor raised from a nearby shipwreck (don't think I've ever visited a seaside town that hasn't had an anchor on display somewhere!! :laugh: )

24847973486_c31f59404e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I have to admit to really liking the original beach but with many of the official sets of the last few years having a nautical element I decided that a harbour would let me fit more of them into my display. It's still a bit of a WIP - certainly need to do something about the rock/pumping station (might replace the moulded rock piece with a smaller brick built structure)

Anyway, thanks for looking... Feedback/comments are always welcome.

Edited by greg3

After a few weeks of work redesigning the harbour, the new Ballabreek ferry is finally in operation!!

25415929672_d403da9524_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can see, I've opted for the MODed cable ferry design from a previous update.

25534460155_7425068316_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The ferry can carry several vehicles and will hopefully allow more visitors to enjoy the village and the surrounding countryside over the coming months.

25415929762_78e2d3dc2d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The redesigned rock/pumping station - it's still a tight squeeze for the ferry though (hence the cable!!)

25508332566_1cc9d2430c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I've not yet decided whether the ferry will become a permanent part of the layout but I wanted to try and fit it in. A brief backstory has it being trialled for a few months after which the citizens of Ballabreek will decide if it's commercially viable!! Anyway, comments are always welcomed.

Thanks for looking!!

Very nice layout, there is a lot to like on a (relatively) small space:

- the overall look of the city is not dominated by modulars

- the mix of old style (open back) and creator buildings works well

- there's some nice moc's

Five thumbs up! :thumbup:

I've been contemplating starting a layout myself, but I don't have a lot of space to do so.

It's very inspirational to see what is possible with limited space. Do you have an estimate on

how many 32x32 baseplates fit in your layout by any chance?

Thanks for the comments.

I've just counted and the town roughly takes up the space of 22 32x32 baseplates (which surprised me as it started off on just 6 baseplates - so I'd say if you want a layout, go for it!!!)

Anyway I've run out of expansion room now though so from now on changes will involve "redeveloping" areas!! I'm currently thinking about replacing the buildings around the park!!

It is nice to see you are still constructing your town.

How about pulling the desk forward and constructing a extension to the desk in order to make its depth bigger?

In this update, Ballabreek's transport links continue to improve with the building of a small heliport!!

25506439404_6f41d969b5_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Located half a mile or so from the village centre (eventually it's going go on a nearby shelf), it was originally a farmers field but has recently been bought by a business consortium with a view to create a heliport to serve Ballabreek and surrounding villages. This is the result of phase 1 of the work - the construction of a concrete landing pad and a small tower structure. It's just waiting for signage to be put up and the radar to be switched on before it becomes fully operational. (in other words I'm waiting for stickers!!)

Inside the tower is a maintenance room (containing tools for carrying out routine checks and repairs)

25508572443_1c36720a4f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

An office with a computer and internet connection so pilots can file flight plans, check weather reports etc.

26018662632_c6dce7375c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

And finally a control room.

26044835651_4c5382580a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

At the moment, the helipad can only accommodate small, 1 person helicopters. Over the next few months (i.e. when I can get more green baseplates!!) the field will be expanded with a larger pad (able to cope with the biggest helicopters available), a hangar and refuelling facilities. Ultimately the heliport will operate tourist/sightseeing flights, a helicopter taxi service, support for offshore exploration companies and maybe even a postal operation. It will also assist the emergency service by allowing police and SAR helicopters to refuel thereby extending their range.

26018667062_5b51d58d36_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can tell, I recently got the Marvel Civil War airport set and thought it'd be a useful addition to Ballabreek (and somewhere to put all those helicopters that Lego seem to think we need!!) As well as adding the landing pad, I removed the play features to make the office area a bit bigger and added the red/white pattern on the outside. At the moment it fits on a 32x32 baseplate but eventually will fill 3 baseplates.

Thanks for looking - comments are always welcome.

Edited by greg3

Man, I'd love to live in Ballabreek! :blush::sweet: This reminds me of the sprawling Lego cities I made when I was but a wee lad.

Well it's been a while since the last update (I hate it when work eats into Lego time!!) but I've finally got around to showing the latest goings on in Ballabreek.... The Ballabreek Festival of Speed!!!

Those long time followers of Ballabreek may remember a similar event last year but this year sees it return bigger and better!!!

This year, course has been changed to avoid the tramlines... not only safer but allows people to still travel to and from the village.

27322744126_cc50c38f94_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27307894821_4d9d0ca89d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The event is run as a timed sprint over about half a mile beginning in the village.

27285582441_5604bb5f56_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

View from the start line - as one car completes it's run, the next is readied on the start line.

27258427412_8759d8512d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

More cars ready for their runs

26749899723_b13a6aafee_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The usually quiet residential street is turned into a pit/service area where drivers can carry out minor repairs and adjustments.

27322849756_bbee99f70b_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Of course the races can't take place without the army of support personal....

Race officials/timekeepers

26748862494_050671fb2e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Emergency and recovery services (including the volunteer marshals)

27322843726_b5399e26dc_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Filming crew (using cameras and drones to capture the action)

27322840076_0a62cf1183_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27345473466_8982b67e29_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27285707051_534fa3736d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

While this update was mainly a way to make use of the Speed Champions sets, it's also inspired by the TT motorcycle races currently taking place in the Isle of Man (where I live) Unfortunately Lego don't make enough racing bikes so cars had to do (and the TT was originally a car race!!). I've got more photos to come so watch this space for more updates...

Thanks for looking!! Comments are always welcome...

Edited by greg3

great work, love what you did in town , and how you use it to make new events, you give me idea to do some to :laugh: and love the dron ;)

Good to see there is still activity in Ballabreek and that they are keeping the traditions alive. I also appreciate the respect of the public transport :wink: