Sign in to follow this  
kabel

Gentrification in Valholl

Weel it took a while, now it's done. Thank you guys for all the good advice. so let's go:

sscn0857.jpg

Here you can see how Valholl evolved over time. The first settlers lived in simple sod huts. Not many of them survive till this day, and they are actually not really nice to live in. Only the poor and some orcs are living in those sod houses these days.

The second phase in Mitgardian architecture was the thing hall phase: Mitgardians finally befriended the local dwarves and in return were taught how to build stone houses. They build the thing hall and other stone buildings in a similar manner. Today the middle class and the dwarves live in them.

The latest fashinon in Mitgardian architecture was started as Mitgardians became rich by actually dominating trade in the northern regions. Types of these houses are now being build all over town and displace the older houses rather quickly.

sscn0848.jpg

Let's see what some locals policitcians think about their city these days:

sscn0856.jpg

"Well Steen, take a look around. This is what happend after Mittenlander took office. Slashing down on gorvernment spending, Valholl lost its well organized police forces and therefore much of its older charme. Now the scum is taking over and in this area here we're now confronted with

public drunkeness:

sscn0847.jpg

orcs that are citizens now and are scaring the women:

sscn0855.jpg

and the spoiling of our city's fiew parks with public nakedness:

sscn0852.jpg

I'm not very happy about it and I guess we really have to clean up this part of town. Therefore I'm going to propose a law to the Thing to take away citizenship from all orcs and drive them out of town. Furthermore, we really need to tear town those shabby old sod houses and sell the land to some investors. I really want to see some more of these new nice houses in these parts of town. Let's see what the Jarl and Mittenlander think!

Shots of chapter one and two connected:

sscn0846.jpg

sscn0844.jpg

more pics here when public

Edited by kabel

Looks great! The grey house turned out nicely, the windows on the blue one look great.

How much farther are you going to go with building Valholl?

Glad to see another Mitgardian free-build :thumbup:

Great moc kabel! :sweet: Nice job on all the different styles of the houses, even better with the elevation you've made for the house in the back! And it's even better with all the stories going on.

Builds like this will get us back at number one in no time! :thumbup:

Do you have great plans like this for challenge three?

Edited by Ecclesiastes

Great work I love all the details you have put in it makes the whole thing look really realistic. Tut tut those naughty orcs they will never learn :sadnew::tongue:

thanks for the feedback guys. I guess my building skills are getting places. Now I need to learn how to take better pics I guess. I tried three lights, but it seems like they were not strong enough. Also I'm still fuddling with artweaver and am not getting anywhere.

@HT: When I put the two mocs together I was really surprised myself about how well they looked together. And sod houses are ever so Mitgardian, it's a shame that those stupid Mitgardians will tear them down.

@soccerkid: Yeah, I would like to expand this. Two obstacles though: my bricks, my wife :laugh:

@ecclesiastes: We really need Mitgardia to start building again. But somehow a lot of our good builders left the guild. Quite a shame, I already miss the enthusiasm of the first days when 10 new mocs were shelled out per day ... Challange three is in the making, but now I'm faced with making that a small moc or tearing down Valholl. Tough decission to make ...

@TJ: I have no idea who let the orcs live in Valholl. Must have been Mittenlander with his laizzes faire policy I suppose!! :tongue:

Very nice scene Kabel/Steen, i really like the mix of different housing types to show how ppl's tastes have changed over time. :thumbup: The new houses look very elegant, but that sod house is really cute! I can't believe that the powers-that-be in Vaholl would want to tear them all down - maybe some of them could be protected under heritage laws? :wink:

ps. I'm sorry to hear that the Vaholl orcs are facing a problem with persecution - we don't see many orcish folk in the south, but those i have met seemed perfectly freindly and gracious, according to thier customs. I hope that a spokesperson for their tribe can put a case before the city fathers, whereby they can keep thier citizenship. :classic:

What a lovely scene! I'm getting a great impression of the city of Valholl from this. Excellent work on that blue house. I'm normally not a fan of medieval houses in that colour, but this looks great. Looks like Valholl is prosporous!

@gabe: I'll see what I can do. Mitgardian politicians are actually way more conservative than I am :laugh: However, Steen is not quite as much of a moron as Eric Grimmson. Maybe he'll be able to protect the house.

@Balthasar: Medieval cities were actually much more colorful than you would think. And I'm trying get that across in my mocs. Thanks for your compliments!

@all: the bs folder is public now!

Edited by kabel

Looking really good Kabel! I´m liking that grey stone house very much! Great to see that you took the help from other members and imrpoved it alot! Great job!!!