Sign in to follow this  
Enforcer Zer0

Can you make requests for MOCs on here?

I would like to request Mocs and instructions on here, because my god are there some amazing people on here, but is that allowed?

If you mean to ask about instructions for specific MOCs, it's not prohibited to ask a builder in the appropriate thread if they care to share instructions for their MOC. Be aware however that most builders do not have instructions or virtual files for their builds.

If you mean to ask about instructions for specific MOCs, it's not prohibited to ask a builder in the appropriate thread if they care to share instructions for their MOC. Be aware however that most builders do not have instructions or virtual files for their builds.

Ok thanks but could i also request for someone to build a Moc? For example a car in the "town" section?

I reckon most builders prefer to build what they want. If you want a MOC built, why not do it yourself?

Believe me if I could build it myself I would, I'm really terrible with that sort of thing though

Ok thanks but could i also request for someone to build a Moc? For example a car in the "town" section?

You could try, though I don't know if anybody would be interested. It really depends what sort of thing your asking for, something very specific, or something that someone may already be working on. I believe some builders do commissions, its not cheap though, you'd be better off trying to build your MOC skills to a level when you can build what you want.

Believe me if I could build it myself I would, I'm really terrible with that sort of thing though

Don't be so hard on yourself! If you don't try, you'll never improve ;)

Came out of my dark ages a few years ago and only had the building skills I had when I was 12 years old. After spending plenty of time looking at MOCs that others have built, and building the modular Expert sets produced by Lego, I now have a pretty firm grasp on building techniques. I found tons of inspiration from Jangbricks by watching his various videos, most notably his custom shopping mall, fire station and most recently, hospital. It's just nice to see how others employ their own techniques to build things. I recommend that you do the same. Besides, the whole joy of Lego is building it yourself, not having someone else do it for you :classic:

Edited by BrickAddict90

Came out of my dark ages a few years ago and only had the building skills I had when I was 12 years old. After spending plenty of time looking at MOCs that others have built, and building the modular Expert sets produced by Lego, I now have a pretty firm grasp on building techniques. I found tons of inspiration from Jangbricks by watching his various videos, most notably his custom shopping mall, fire station and most recently, hospital. It's just nice to see how others employ their own techniques to build things. I recommend that you do the same. Besides, the whole joy of Lego is building it yourself, not having someone else do it for you :classic:

I completely agree, though the modulars are probably quite a bit further down the learning curve for the OP; if you want to learn building MOCs I suggest to stert by experimenting with a few small creator sets; choose one which has a few "alt builds" listed at bricklink, and build them to learn how a small amount of pieces can combine in different ways to produce very different looks; particularly if you're into cars I'd suggest 31017 Sunset Speeder (out of production, but easy to find on ebay), or your current best intros to the 4-wide scene, 31027 Blue Racer; 31041 Construction Vehicles is nice and cheap as well.

Give it a try and ask for suggestions. My builds still tend for an older style because I'm still figuring things out. I recommend the various Lego Ideas books. I recently tried to recreate one of the builds from Cool Creations in 101 Pieces. I didn't have the exact pieces but even looking at the picture I am uncertain how he got it to work. My creation isn't the same but still successful I think.

If you really don't want to build something yourself, use the search bar. There are tens of thousands of MOCs on this site and I'm sure someone has made a MOC of what you're looking for.

It takes a LONG time to get good at building. I've still got a long way to go. Just don't give up, because you CAN do it, contrary to what you think. ;)

A few pointers:

Learn from official sets, UCS sets, Modulars and other Direct to Consumer sets often use methods found in good MOCs.

Learn how to use LDD. Sometimes we feel like poor MOCers not due to our skill but due to our poor brick selection. LDD has unlimited bricks, and if you are patient enough to learn it it can unlock your full potential. Download Blue Render from here on Eurobricks to get a good view of your LDD MOCs.

As mentioned if you want to do a commisioned piece from a favorite MOC builder be prepared to pay up the wazoo. Not only will they ask for money to pay for the bricks, but they will probably ask for money for compensation for the time it took to design the MOC, build it, package it, and ship it.

Of course there are some cases where you can ask for a MOC assuming you don't want to own it! In those cases the MOC builder will build what you want, then send you photos. This method is probably free since the MOC builder is using his own bricks... But you might never get to see the MOC in person let alone own it. Usually if a builder is doing this for you it is for a special building event on the forums.

So as stated, brushing up your own skills and learning to do it yourself is the best way.