Piranha

Sci-Fi Forum General Discussion

Welcome to the LEGO Sci-Fi Forum!

The days of neglect are over and we are pleased to announce we will be taking this forum to the next level.

If you haven't already please take a look at the new master directory "Launchpad" for news, updates and the forum indexes.

If you have any comments, improvements, questions or feedback it should be posted here.

-The Sci-Fi Team

Great job on setting up the cleverly-named "Launch Pad" Macoco/SI-mocs! :thumbup: I really like how things now are getting organized around here in Sci-Fi.

For starters I think the banner might need a little bit of updating to give the whole subforum a fresh look. (We'll have to discuss with the graphic designers in the Staff regarding this, but if you have ideas feel free to thrown them in.)

And I believe I've heard of some interesting ideas to liven up this forum once again, but I guess we'll have to discuss it somewhere else to keep the 'surprise factor' for the members. :classic:

But so far, excellent work guys and keep it up! :thumbup:

I agree with KDM. I think of this as a "changing of the guard" with you and SI-Mocs coming in. Maybe a Sci-Fi theme month?

And I've got a few LDD MOCs I've been wanting to post here, so those might be up sooner than later.

Edited by prateek

Personally, I really like the smooth, retro artwork look of this banner, It's one of my favorite EB banners. That being said, if I remember correctly, this one's from before the software update to IPB 3, so maybe it could use an update to the correct size, with new minifigs.

Most of the credit goes to Macoco!

Just like Guilds of Historica, I don't do much, I just sit back and look pretty :laugh:

I think we have a few ideas floating around - but yes we can discuss that else where....

--

As for the banner - it is one of the nicer ones :wub:

But maybe something new would be good.

For starters, I would use the same/similar planet star log that is in the Regulator title.

I would also rather see a more brick built banner - like Town or Action themes.

Range of SCI-FI minifigs - not JUST space..., in the background we could have some micro space ships, maybe a steam punk, maybe a mecha?

Sky the limit...

--

Though Macoco please enlighten us on how to get some of those fancy new tags you have?

The enquiring public would like to know!

I don't mind the current banner at all, but I'm always open to an updated version. Fewer Exo-Force minifigures could always help. :laugh:

I don't mind the current banner at all, but I'm always open to an updated version. Fewer Exo-Force minifigures could always help. :laugh:

:laugh: And I'm sure there won't be any objections if some Classic Space minifigs are added.

Great job on setting up the cleverly-named "Launch Pad" Macoco/SI-mocs! :thumbup: I really like how things now are getting organized around here in Sci-Fi.

For starters I think the banner might need a little bit of updating to give the whole subforum a fresh look. (We'll have to discuss with the graphic designers in the Staff regarding this, but if you have ideas feel free to thrown them in.)

And I believe I've heard of some interesting ideas to liven up this forum once again, but I guess we'll have to discuss it somewhere else to keep the 'surprise factor' for the members. :classic:

But so far, excellent work guys and keep it up! :thumbup:

Thanks, we will continue to look for new innovative ideas and suggestions to improve the forum. :thumbup:

A new updated banner for the forum is a great idea, the current banner made by BrickMiner is indeed very nice but as mentioned an updated version maybe showing more creations and models over just simply minifigs like SI-mocs suggested would look very nice. I am sure our talented EB staff could make something brilliant (myself excluded :laugh:).

:laugh: And I'm sure there won't be any objections if some Classic Space minifigs are added.

None here either. :grin:

Most of the credit goes to Macoco!

Just like Guilds of Historica, I don't do much, I just sit back and look pretty :laugh:

I think we have a few ideas floating around - but yes we can discuss that else where....

Though Macoco please enlighten us on how to get some of those fancy new tags you have?

The enquiring public would like to know!

That is true. :tongue:

Yes, the secret surprises are better suited to be discussed elsewhere. :devil:

As for the tags, we will be adding more as time goes by, I believe the "Launchpad" has all the needed info on how to earn one. :wink:

More cake, less pie. :)

Oh, come on! Everybody knows that the cake is a lie.... :tongue:

Seriously though, I would like to know what the meaning of the "Zip Gun" tag is (heck, I'd like a comprehensive tag key somewhere so that I can figure out what some of them mean... Some are obvious, like LDD indexer, but others, like "stud lover" are rather ambiguous)....

...Not that I'm likely to ever get any, considering I'm lucky if any of my MOCs gets more than 1 comment. :laugh:

Personally, I think that the banner should have some Blacktron I minifigs in it, but I'll be the first to admit to some bias on my part. :tongue:

Seriously though, I would like to know what the meaning of the "Zip Gun" tag is (heck, I'd like a comprehensive tag key somewhere so that I can figure out what some of them mean... Some are obvious, like LDD indexer, but others, like "stud lover" are rather ambiguous)....

The Staff have actually said before that they intend to keep the exact meaning of various tags a secret. Hinck says that knowing other members don't know why you have that awesome tag is part of the fun. :laugh:

In any case, the Launchpad says that the zip gun tag is for "Outstanding contributions to any of the major subthemes within the Sci-Fi forum", so there're apparently no set criteria other than quality posts. (like the Death Star tag of the Star Wars forum)

It's good to see this place getting an update! I would like to see some sort of new banner here, some nice space ships would like good here. :wub:

As for the banner:

How about making the background one of the ones from SP III(inside or outside Galaxy City)?

Minifigs:

Shwartz(black Classic space), Galanos(blue Futuron), M-Tron, Old Blacktron, New Blacktron, SP I, SP II, "Ice planet babe", Sryrius(headband), Unitron(printed helmet), Roboforce(orange helmet), insectoids(don't care who), UFO(don't care who), Exo-Force(don't care who), Exo-Force Robot(don't care who), Life on Mars(don't care who), LoM Alien(don't care who), Mars Mission(don't care who), Jelly(unfortunatly, this is needed), SP III(with this head), Kranxx(or P-Squiddy), ADU(soldier, not pilot or scientist), AQ Alien pilot, all CMFs space/Sci-Fi minifigs.

Note: Some of these 'Figs can be in the background; I just want a representative from each group.

Perhaps the scene could be a "Sci-Fi Council"?

Edit: Count now!! :excited:

Edited by LEGOman273

The banner is nice, but it does feel a bit dated. I think it needs some of the modern figs, like a SP3 commando and an AQ alien, and some color in the background.

Since the forum is getting more attention, does this mean we'll have the long overdue Sci-fi contest? :sweet:

Also, will you be completing the MOC index?

Only thing I'd like to see is more of the modern figs in the banner, though I'm okay with almost anything as long as it doesn't look like star wars.

You could have alternating banners that could load every time the page is visited, one could be all villains, one could be focused on spaceships, one could show only Ice Planet, etc.

Edited by DrNightmare

Great that we get some new stuff now. As for the banner, have a few figs from the old themes (classic space, blacktron, etc), one or 2 from a newer theme (SPIII, Alien Conquest), and probably at least 1 alien. And since the other branches of scifi are kinda ignored in the current banner, maybe have a steampunk mech or something in the background. Not really sure though.

A 'time-line' banner would be nice; starting with CS on the left and ending with Lego Universe astronaut on the right.

Anyway nice to see some action on this side of the board. Maybe we can think up some more stuff to get it even going more. :thumbup:

I don't think the banner background needs any changes. It's one of the best pieces of artwork on EB, in my opinion. Should be easy enough to extend the gradient upwards to make the existing background bigger.

Important Points!

Unless you just want to discuss it for the fun of it, don't get too serious about the banner ideas. We're changing it, we've been discussing it for a while, it's just that the new Regs aren't boffed up on it. It won't be a retro one.

On a similar note as long as I'm staff on EB there won't be a new forum post style review index in Sci-Fi. Long term I hope to replace all with the Set Index which has every review indexed and can be browsed without having to load 200+ images first. :sick:

I do feel similar about MOC indexes... but if the new Regs want to make one that's their call. :wink:

Important Points!

Unless you just want to discuss it for the fun of it, don't get too serious about the banner ideas. We're changing it, we've been discussing it for a while, it's just that the new Regs aren't boffed up on it. It won't be a retro one.

In that case, will it have only official Minifigs, or will it have customs as well?

In that case, will it have only official Minifigs, or will it have customs as well?

Custom as in ones not sold in set, probably.

Custom as in ones including custom parts, probably not.

Custom as in ones not sold in set, probably.

Custom as in ones including custom parts, probably not.

I meant as in ones not included in sets, but made with official parts. So, :thumbup: