Sign in to follow this  
The Maestro

Free build: Avalonian watch tower

​The soldier watches days go by, winters pass like a morning breeze. The Avalonia countryside seemed peaceful and he often rendered the watchtower as no more than a symbol of the days of war. That of course changed one dull morning, he watched with curiosity as messengers race pass him, by the time he had finished his duties, he had seen an entire army of soldiers march past. When he sat down for his evening smoke a serious looking man strode over to him. Behind him was a squadron of guards." Greeting captain Fernber, Have you been informed of our arrival", the soldier stared at him blankly. "We have been stationed here to strengthen your garrison" the man continued "for we have reason to believe that drow are planing to attack the surrounding area". At this comment the soldier almost chocked on his own pipe, "the drow, here?". "yes, and if you don''t get ready soon enough we will be slaughtered like pigs". With one last look at the overwhelmed man in front of him, the commander and his troops strolled through the door leaving the soldier to stare after them and wander what in the world of Historica was going on.

27589826875_d360dae7cc_k.jpgAvalonian watchtower by themaestro2, on Flickr

27555718506_e9a5c2ac92_k.jpgAvalonian watchtower by themaestro2, on Flickr

27589822165_401484ee8e_k.jpgAvalonian watchtower by themaestro2, on Flickr

26979932404_1819cca933_k.jpgAvalonian watchtower by themaestro2, on Flickr

27517088951_959e2ab2bc_k.jpgAvalonian watchtower by themaestro2, on Flickr

27517085241_82f43d3811_k.jpgAvalonian watchtower by themaestro2, on Flickr

27589812775_2ad775dfd8_k.jpgAvalonian watchtower by themaestro2, on Flickr

27589806215_3d856656e0_k.jpgAvalonian watchtower by themaestro2, on Flickr

You can find the Interior on my flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/142396709@N08/with/26099125654/

My first build for Goh and Avalonia I think this is my best build yet by miles. I tried so many new techniques and styles and I loved the result of all of them. My favorites would be the stonework and the black and white wattle and daub. This doubles as my entry for the summer joust guild category. I m in the avalonian with the amazing TitusV, LegoEomer and MiloNelsiano. All of them are great builders. I hope you enjoy this free build and you can expect to see more like it in the future.

Sorry about the size of the photos, still haven't completely figured out this posting thing.

Looks great! The main thing that needs to be worked on here is the photography. The new photography section of general discussion has some good tutorials that are worth looking at.

Looks good, my suggestion would be to add a bit more coverage on the roof of tiles or plates.

Thanks Titus

I agree Isundir, I would love to cover it more but unfortuantly i have a very small amiunt of bricks and that was all i had. Thanks for the comments.

My only complaint is that I do not belive the dark tan masonery bricks or the olive green cheese fits here. Other than that it looks good, particularly the thatched roofs.

Thanks for the advice Blufiji, The reason for the dark tan is the same answer i gave to Isunder, I seriously need to expand my brick collection. I will remove the olive cheese for display.

Great perspective for the first picture :thumbup: The black/white wattle and daub is excellent, and I like your sign with Avalonian colors. The bench and little lean to are nice additions :classic:

Love that first picture! :wub: The stonework is pretty good, though I'm not completely sold on the tilted 2x2 tiles; I think attaching them squarely might look better. :classic:

Excellent tree and sign too :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice, i can never get enough of it. Will change it for display.

Edited by The Maestro

Nice build !

I like the wall texturing.

The trees are quite good too. I like this little apple tree you made.

Good job !

Thanks Faladrin, The trees are just something im trying out so im glad you liked them. The walls are also new to me so thanks.

Great tower. The half timbered structures are a great addition. And good tree.

Really an excellent first build, Maestro, the tree and half-timbered sections are great, and the vegetation and stone-work are very nice as well - though a couple less colors would probably have helped with the latter (I see others have already been saying that :wink:) Quite an interesting story, and lovely lighting on the first picture - not sure if that was on purpose or not, but it looks excellent! :thumbup: I only wish the full build had been visible in that shot (your other overview pic is not from as good of an angle and is awfully saturated), and it would be good if you could downsize the pictures a little (I usually use the 640x something option when embedding from Flickr). Very good job, anyhow, looking forward to more builds from you! :classic:

Thanks you Jacob Nion I agree.

Thanks Garmadon, yes photography is my weak point and next time I will try downsize the pictures ( still trying to get the hang of things ) but thank you for the advice and more builds are on the way.

Really nice build Maestro, there's a lot of detail going on here and the whole scene has a suitably ramshackle appearance. :thumbup: I have no problems with the amount of colours used, i think you harmonise them very well. There are a couple of small, specific things that would help refine your build though: (a) Open studs often look odd left exposed, unless they are there for a reason. Left on stonework or thatch the way you have here, it just looks a bit careless. (b) 2x2 tiles don't tend to work so well for facing stonework, especially when placed at the angles you have put them. 1x2 or 1x1 tiles are a much better choice.

And of course presentation is an area you know you can improve in - just pulling the camera back and giving us some shots of the whole moc from different angles would be a great start. :classic:

Thanks gabe for all the advice :D I will tr incoperate this into the build for display and will use it in future mocs. Once again my photography is terrible, thanks for high lighting that ;p