Alasdair Ryan

The future of SR3D and its users

A couple of weeks ago we were all shocked to learn that Sergio (The maker of SR3D) passed away,this made me curious on what the future holds for Lego cad software and the people that used his software.

Will we see a newer version of MLcad with a whole new user interface and some kind of auto snap feature that SR3D had,in my opinion

MLcad getting a upgrade like this would be really good if it happened.

We will continue to have LDD,although this software is still not in my opinion anyway as good as MLcad or SR3D.

We were lucky that Sergio left us with a stable build but with no updates expected now for it, will this force users to switch software?

I am aware of Mecabricks,maybe Scrubs will incorporate some of SR3D's features into his software,is there demand for another program?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

It would be amazing if someone could go on where Sergio has "stopped". There are probably enough people with the knowledge and the lego and LDraw addiction. The problem is that Sergio has never shared any source code.

I know that Sergio was programming in VB.net, C# or C++ in Visual Studio. That's quite common, so, maybe there's a way to decompile the code.

But, if that isn't possible, we'll just have to wait until someone starts building a new LDraw cad software.

For example, LDCad looks very promising, altough it seems to not have the "snap" feature and quite a steep learning curve. But who knows what the future will bring? It's still being updated.

Although SR3D isn't finished (as in V1.0), it's quite stable nowadays and we can still use it for quite some time in the future :classic:

This is surely a question that many users asked themselves.

The point is what Sergio disposed.

Maybe he decided to release the codes, or maybe he found someone that could take his work and maybe continue or simply maintain it, or he prefer to leave every right to his family so that it could provide some extra money for them, or he couldn't dispose anything.

Whatever the answer, I hope that we could know something about sooner or later.

The good new is that SR3Dbuilder does work. The problem is that new parts needs connectivity, but this can be defined by external patch files. Now question is - who will create these patch files and distribute them? The other problem is images of parts, there are supposed to be functions in SR3D to generate them but I could never get them to work (but it's possible to use LDView for that).

As for other programs - I think that indeed LDCad is the best candidate nowadays. Probably less intuitive than SR3D (though I remember I struggled quite a bit with SR3D when I started, but now my neurons are properly wired ;) ) and it does have connectivity in addition to grid mode, somehow offering the best of both worlds (simple to use connectivity when it works well, and use gridded moves - always possible - when connectivity is not defined or when you want weird things).

Another benefit of LDCad is that the files it generates are more compatible with other LDraw tools (including for things such as flex parts!), and it has very good image quality.

The newly added animation scrip featuret is extremely powerful but also MUCH more guru-friendly than SR3D one.

LDCad is a bit lacking documentation, but Roland Melkert is very helpful on LDraw forum! See announcement of latest version here: http://forums.ldraw....14209#msg-14209

Edited by Philo

Yes I agree, that LDcad is looking very good and is probably the best way forward for users like me who want to use a more complex piece of software.

I do feel though that it needs a better user interface.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Any updates on where we stand vis-a-vis this 'situation' ?

Has anyone contacted Sergio's family to get a feel as to how we move forward?

Edited by DrJB

Any updates on where we stand vis-a-vis this 'situation' ?

I don't know how to contact the family or how to contact someone who can contact the family. And, even then, maybe they don't know either where all the source files are located...

I tried decompiling the .exe file, but it isn't very useful...

I have but it is all in the works.

w.

LDraw Content Manager

I have but it is all in the works.

w.

LDraw Content Manager

Thank you ... I am sure many AFOLs would be willing to make a small donation to the family, just to show appreciation.

Hello everybody,

By chance, I discovered SR3D this afternoon, during a CAD software training in my compagny... We were talking about modular design in CAD software. I remembered my LEGO technic models... Such a good part of my life :)

I installed it and began a simple assembly. I love this soft!

I am a software developer specialized in CAD data management (PDM). I coded using .Net during 8 years, for now, I am using java in order to customize Windchill...

So, I decided to contact Sergio in order to contribute to its nice software. But... I realize that he passed off :( Really bad news. I also read the message from its wife.

I don't have a lot of time because of my job and my family but maybe I could help to improve SR3D. Does anyone knows what was the most important pending needs ? Does someone manage to get source code ? Maybe someone could ask to his wife ?

My goal should be to maintain the software, add some little improvements. Not for money, just for the memory and pleasure.

Regards

Julien

Edited by ilisox

ilisox, you are cross-posting this same message here too. One post is enough.

Thanks

Hello supercalle,

It is in order to have more chance that an aware member would receive a notification on these two streams.

We would remove doublon after if you want ?

Thanks

Julien

SR3D is closed source and I believe a few people from the LDraw community have contacted the family of Sergio (also because he had won the JJMA).

I believe they did not want to share the code (yet). I can't find the information anymore though, so I'm not sure if this is just a fake memory in my brain or not :grin:

I'll take another look.

---

EDIT:

Well, that was quick! I found it:

In this topic (at the LDraw forums), Steffen asks if they could get the source code, on which Orion replies:

We already did. Her [sergio's wife] current reply is that if Sergio want the code open he would have opened it. Maybe time will change her mind but I respect her decision for now.

It may be a dissapointment to some, but I think we should respect that decision :classic: