Blakbird

Review: 8063 Tractor with Trailer

8063 Tractor with Trailer

Based on some input from other readers here, I went and checked my local Toys 'R Us and found the new 8063 tractor set in a nice big shiny box.

I'm a Technic fan. A HUGE Technic fan. I buy every set whether it looks any good or not. It's not easy to disappoint me given how enthused I am about the whole thing in general, but I was certainly disappointed here. Read on to find out why. I thought about reviewing it two different ways: one as an independent set release, and one as a comparison to the previous 8284 tractor , but in the end I decided that this was unnecessary since the same conclusions apply.

I'll be anticipating the questions from you, the readers, and I'll incorporate the answers into my review.

Vital Statistics

• Set 8063 (Weird set number. This series not used since the old Universal Sets)
  • 1100 Pieces
  • Build time was about 2.5 hours (including taking all the pictures)

The Box

The box is quite large. Pictures of the front and back can be seen below. This is one of the boxes in which you need to cut the rear corners to get it open. Unlike many of these boxes, everything inside was in good shape with no squashing of the instructions. In fact, they look like they came right off of the presses.

dsc_0707.jpg

dsc_0711.jpg

The Instructions

There are 2 instruction books.

Q: Since this set is clearly two distinct models, a tractor and a trailer, each instruction book covers one of these right?

A: Wrong. The division between instruction books occurs in an arbitrary location near the end of the tractor model.

There are no printed instructions for the B model; those muse be downloaded.

Like all the newer sets, these instructions come with a parts list at the end.

dsc_0714.jpg

Inside the Box

There are 7 bags inside the box as well as a few loose pieces which I'll discuss a bit later. The bags are numbered into two groups. The first group is for the tractor, the second group is for the trailer. There are smaller bags of small parts inside the larger bags.

dsc_0712.jpg

dsc_0713.jpg

New and/or Noteworthy Parts

Q: With 1100 parts, there must be a lot of new stuff here!

A: Wrong. Since the tractor is nearly identical to the old 8284 tractor, there are no new parts here except for the engine compartment side panels. These are slightly flatter than the old versions.

The trailer uses 13 of the new larger panels in green (TLG #62531) as previously described in my hauler review. Based on early photos, I thought these were going to be sand green (like the Statue of Liberty 3450), but they are actually regular green. If you want a big pile of these panels, this is the place to get them.

There's also one of the linear actuators in the trailer.

The differential in the tractor is the same as that in 8284 which is NOT the newest version. Since the gear mating with the diff ring gear is a spur gear, it would have been difficult to integrate the new diff bevel gear without a significant redesign.

dsc_0715.jpg

The Build

If you've built 8284 before, you will find this very familiar. The tractor is actually rather complex and, due to the use of 8

32009 "Technic Beam 3 x 3.8 x 7 Liftarm Bent 45 Double", the frame is very rigid. The trailer build is very redundant due to the use of so many panels.

This first image shows the core of all of the functions of the tractor. I've color coded the functions for reference:

• Green: This is the steering. Overhead Hand of God control the front rack and pinion. The whole front steering assembly is pendular, so the steering axle also provided the structural support. Note that the steering axles pass through a 16 tooth concentric idler gear.

• Blue: This is the drive train. The differential will mate with the rear double bevel gear. Torque goes through the driving ring center and up to the crankshaft of the engine.

• Yellow: This is the Power Take Off (PTO). When the red driving ring is engaged, this is driven off the rear wheels.

• Red: This is the worm gear lift for the rear implements.

dsc_0717.jpg

Q: Why is there a worm gear lift for the rear implements? Are there any rear implements?

A: No. The worm gear pivots some liftarms which are not attached to anything.

Q: Why is there a PTO? Does it drive anything?

A: No. The PTO hangs uselessly out the back. When engaged with the driving ring, it uselessly spins.

Q: OK, if these major functions don't actually do anything on the main model, they must at least drive the B-model right?

A: No. The B model doesn't use them either.

Q: Well there must at least be some photographs on the box or in the instructions of possible implements which use these features right?

A: Wrong. These two major functions of the model do nothing at all and were obviously only included because the previous tractor had them. They are wasted on this model. In fact, the trailer does not really even come with enough gears and axles to build any suitable implement if you wanted to.

This shows some more of the structure attached as well as the rear differential and the seat.

dsc_0718.jpg

Now we can see the inline 4 cylinder engine. There haven't been very many inline LEGO engines. You can also see the steering assembly and the pendular suspension highlighted in yellow. Note that, in this case, the engine block actually forms a structural part of the forward frame.

dsc_0719.jpg

The build of the trailer was so straightforward that I did not take any photographs. It is really just a frame, so panels, and a linear actuator.

The Verdict

Now we'll take a look at the completed model. It is actually quite attractive and very large. The engine cover opens up and exposes the engine. The overhead Hand of God gears controls the steering. The rear gear controls the lift. The red lever on the right engages the PTO. The engine is driven by the rear wheels. The gear on the side of the trailer controls the dumping mechanism. A liftarm on the front of the trailer supports the tongue when disconnected.

dsc_0725.jpg

dsc_0720.jpg

dsc_0721.jpg

dsc_0722.jpg

dsc_0723.jpg

dsc_0724.jpg

Q: This is not that compelling. Does the B-model at least do something new?

A: No. In fact there isn't even a B-model of the tractor. The B-model is just a different trailer.

This set is lame. It doesn't function with itself and seems cobbled together. The idea of a tractor and a trailer is a good one, but they need to be designed to go together, which these are not. With no implements, the tractor is not even good as a standalone model.

• Price: 4/10 (quite a few pieces, but too much money for a set that doesn't work)
  • Functions: 2/10 (half the functions don't work which is totally unacceptable for Technic)
  • Appearance: 6/10 (reasonably good looking but trailer is bland)
  • Parts: 3/10 (quite a few pieces, but not much new except panels)
  • Total: 3/10 Don't buy this unless money is meaningless to you or you are a masochist. I expect it to be on clearance for $40 within a couple of months.

Scale

Q: How big is that thing?

A: The trailer is huge. Take a look.

dsc_0726.jpg

Q: How does it compare to 8284?

A: It is virtually identical. Obviously, the color is different. The panels on the side of the engine are new. There are slight changes in the geometry of the lift on the back to make room for the trailer tongue. Otherwise it is the same with the obvious omission of the rear implements.

dsc_0727.jpg

Wrap Up

While building this model, I listened Killswitch Engage which got me properly enraged to write this review.

Q: Why the hell did LEGO release a model with functions which do nothing, an irrelevant B-model, and no original content?

A: I have no idea, but I'm not happy about it. Even if you don't have 8284, this tractor still makes no sense since half the functions are unusable.

Q: If you were an angel of retribution, would you visit your wrath upon whomever decided to release this set to the public?

A: What do you mean "if"?

Edited by Blakbird

Good review. I guess this basically confirms what we thought about it earlier. Those half-finished functions are quite lame and were obviously taken straight from 8284, and at $100 it really is a ripoff compared to the excellent 8265 for $80. The only thing I like about it is the printed 1x2 tiles.

I think what you said in the other thread makes sense, that this set was only made to fill in the TRU exclusive requirement and TLG didn't want to spend any effort on it.

Edited by CP5670

I read this just because I like to read reviews...

This set sucks.

But, it may get its audience.

Those who didn't see first tractor may find this appealing.

Excellent review, Blakbird!

Those who didn't see first tractor may find this appealing.

I think those who didn't see the first tractor will be left scratching their heads. They will wonder, "what are these extra features for that don't do anything? Did I build the model wrong?" Imagine a child (in the target age bracket) building a Technic model for the first time and how confused they might be about those extra useless gears and cranks.

Good review ! :thumbup:

I think those who didn't see the first tractor will be left scratching their heads. They will wonder, "what are these extra features for that don't do anything? Did I build the model wrong?" Imagine a child (in the target age bracket) building a Technic model for the first time and how confused they might be about those extra useless gears and cranks.

I agree.

I am not fully concerned by the fact that two functions (PTO and rear implements) are not used.

They might be there just for the show. Just to present real two functions of the real tractors, which, if I am not wrong, has PTO for powering, for example special tool (sprinkler, seed thrower or for trimming the grass), and those lifting rear implements are used to lift and carry those tools behind the tractor.

I agree that in this set they are useless, but still present.

Woow wow wow that's a harsh review, but from looking at it I'd say it was pretty fair. It doesn't sound like a typical Technic set to me, so your thoughts that it is just a quick knock-up job for Toys R Us is probably right.

I hope the leaked 2010 Forest Tractor with Crane is a new, original model and better than this.

Thanks for the review, and I feel guilty for asking you to get it!

At

Edited by tomacwhite

Woow wow wow that's a harsh review, but from looking at it I'd say it was pretty fair.

Reviews that are always positive don't mean anything. I'm honest about what I think.

Thanks for the review, and I feel guilty for asking you to get it!

Don't worry, I would have bought it anyway. :classic: You just sped up the process.

At �30 or something on sale, would you recommend it then? At least for the parts!

Yes, definitely. Perhaps I should qualify the statements I made in my review. It is NOT a bad tractor. In fact, I like 8284 very much and this is basically the same thing. I am simply upset that TLG chose to re-release a set for MORE money with LESS functionality and design details which obviously do not fit together. An AFOL could certainly make some nice implements for this and make it a great model. But TLG did not make it a great model.

And by the way, I just checked the LEGO website and the B-model instructions are not even available.

Edited by Blakbird

Definitely a good chance to give a lower rank in a review.

Fully agree on "Reviews that are always positive don't mean anything".

I don't use to buy every new TECHNIC set and hardly regret!

Just buy those that really catch my eye. Most of the times, the mid and big size ones.

This I would want only for the green panels (which by the way never thought to be Sand Green), as I've already one thing in mind for them.

But surely I'll find them later at BrickLink for a good price. ;)

Thanks for one more review Eric!

But surely I'll find them later at BrickLink for a good price. ;)

You will have to be patient. O_o

With Lego Direct, I think you can get them now. I guess a panel costs about 1€.

What an excellent review of a not-so-excellent set! :tongue: I suspect you're right about TLGs motivation for this set... and the meanie in me hopes they regret it. I can't see this selling well at full price and it could hurt future Technic sales due to the wasted PTO. I missed the old version so I'll be aiming to get this on sale. I must confess I want the panels...

Good review ! :thumbup:

:tongue:

At least the puzzle of whether this set was a real set has been put to rest,

However, I quite like it and I think I will buy it,

looking at the tractor functions from a more positive view than everyone else,

It's a tractor, we have only had a couple in the last 20 years,

it has good features like the PTO and the 3 point linkage,

it is begging for AFOL's to make farm machinery attachments to use with the tractor.

Everyone was moaning about the colour scheme of the old tractor, now we have a good colour tractor

You get a bonus free linear actuator!

At least with the green panels it makes the trailer functional and you can fill it with bricks and tip them out, try doing that with 8415 dump truck.

Paul

Nice review. The Q&A bits made me laugh a few times - thanks for that.

Quite an boring set it seems to me. I quite liked the old tractor but the reuse without the functionality is really sad. And one LA doesn't suddenly make the set a winner.

But the "normal" sets are quite promising in the last time - let's just hope this was a slip-up.

I like the old green tractor, actually built it for the first time a month ago.

Why all the complaints about this product, a red tractor with the same design ? It's not like the Technic design team made this product instead of an all new set.

This is a bonus to add to the excellent line of Technic products in 2009.

I like the old green tractor, actually built it for the first time a month ago.

Why all the complaints about this product, a red tractor with the same design ? It's not like the Technic design team made this product instead of an all new set.

As I mentioned above, it is not a bad tractor. But the fact is that they nullified two of the most obvious and useful features by removing the implements and replacing them with a trailer.

As with any review, of course, all of this is a matter of opinion. I have no doubt that others will love this set and the lack of an implement will merely be an inspiration to create one.

P.S. I just noticed my new title under my avatar. Now that's a cool title!! :thumbup:

Edited by Blakbird

It's a good set, but only if you didn't buy the lime green one. I like the addition of the trailer though. Great review BTW :tongue::classic::thumbup:

Good evening to you all!

Looks like a poor set. I assume many people will be disapointed when they buy it. Seems to make more sense to look for 8284 indeed. Oh - is it possible to build the dune buggy (B-model of 8284) from the parts of 8063?

By the way: great review (as usual).

Greetings from Lupus

Fantastic review! Blackbird didn't spare the whip on TLG.....

But i'm going to get it anyway, because together with the 8284 it makes a great display! And that is worth a bit of money. (I only have to put in a few extra hours at work!!! :sceptic: )

Hopefully the AFOL-community will get us a trailer (or anything else) that WILL take advantage off the unused functions. :laugh:

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Q: Why is there a worm gear lift for the rear implements? Are there any rear implements?

A: No. The worm gear pivots some liftarms which are not attached to anything.

Q: Why is there a PTO? Does it drive anything?

A: No. The PTO hangs uselessly out the back. When engaged with the driving ring, it uselessly spins.

Q: OK, if these major functions don't actually do anything on the main model, they must at least drive the B-model right?

A: No. The B model doesn't use them either.

Dig all your reviews Blackbird, but this ones my favorite :classic:

the 8063 just showed up on S@H today, laughed when I read the description:

..."and even switch the rotating rear transmission axle on or off!"

Still wish they re-released something else, but it'd be worth buying at half price (or better) if I didnt own a few 8284s already.

It's not available in England from the Lego online store, I wonder if that's because we've had the tractor before, whereas USA (officially) never have. I am not sure if anyone in England has seen one in Toys R US yet, I've not had chance to go myself to check it out.

I spotted it on the UK Toys R Us UK website earlier this week,

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Toys/Co...0Trailer%208063

I'm still in shock by the price rises we have seen in the UK on Technic this year, I'm sure I only paid £40 or £45 GBP for the last tractor and this one is double the price to get the trailer, but I quite like the trailer even with it's limited functions.

Like someone said earlier, I'm loving some of the unique selling points of this model, from the TRU UK website:

"The engine hood can also be opened"

Wow, should keep kids and afols amused for hours that one!

Edited by paul_delahaye

Very good and funny review! The model really seems to suck, they just ctr+c ctrl+v the tractor, made a big megablocks trailer for it and repackaged it... The PTO could at least lift or lower the trailer, even though its not very realistic.

As mentioned at technics set for 2009:

Building instructions for 8063 Tractor and a-model trailer are available at www..lego.com

Book 1

Book 2

Edited by JunkstyleGio