TanTile

[MOC] Winter Village Display.

Hello EB Members!

On the 4th of November 2014 I began construction of our LEGO Winter Village Christmas display.

8 days and 7 late late nights (2am/3am) later I have finished!. This has been my biggest MOC to date. Not that I have done many... This is my 2nd major MOC, but I have done about 7 small little 16x16 baseplate sized ones.

The size of this display is Three 48 x 48 and One 32 x 32 baseplates wide and Two 48 x 48 baseplate deep. (1410mm W X 770mm D)

It's lowest point sits on the actual baseplate, and at it's highest point it stands at about 34 bricks high! (330mm H)

The whole thing is modularized and each building is easily detectible like a floor level on a "modular building".

Throughout the build I have added in some things for the kids to look for like a Where's Wally/Waldo.

They have to find:

8 x Elves

5 x Reindeer

4 x fire hydrants

3 x Owls

Find everyone that is doing a sport ie: snow baseball, Ice hockey etc..

Everyday I move Bad Santa around and the Kids have to spot him in his new location.

(since taking these Photo's the kids also have to find 6 toy Soldiers, the very same ones in the October bonus S@H set)

The carousel works with power functions and the motor is hidden in the "shed" and the battery pack is underneath the shed in the underbelly of the foundations.

Below are a few Photos of the display...

15591827598_758ce7558f_b.jpg

15157819523_fab69246c3_b.jpg

15592398610_1d08f226fc_c.jpg

15778807312_3edcae1d4a_c.jpg

15592419700_70bdc00bc2_c.jpg

15591364049_dd5a5a00ef_c.jpg

15778746212_a6a8b0bbf5_c.jpg

15157216424_88b4ae61d5_c.jpg

15157742613_ef758fae16_c.jpg

15591313719_4f2d619c1e_c.jpg

15591966607_002a51d0df_c.jpg

15157677263_67037bd080_c.jpg

You can view more photos in myFlickR Folder here.

Thank you for taking the time to look.

C & C are most welcome!

Edited by TanTile

That is a fantastic display! I love how there are so many little hubs of activity scattered throughout. Amazing work.

I'm planning on doing something like this (but in a much smaller scale due to space restrictions) this year for the first time to add the to usual Christmas ornaments we put up around the house each year. You've given me some great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Very neat. A member of my LUG did this but for a Halloween MOC. The search is fun for kids.

U can tell you put a lot of work into this. There are a lot of neat details.

I've been wanting to build a winter village scene, but it would be much smaller also.

AWESOME work 'TanTile'.......so much action :thumbup: though I guess they need to.....so they can keep warm right ? :laugh:

Brick On 'TanTile' ! :grin:

We didn't have any snow so far here in the West of Germany, but seeing this lovely winter diorama, it makes me feel like Christmas (which is coming now anyway).

Well done!

Thank you very much for the kind comments! I had an absolute blast building this!

incredible detail! what kind of power functions do you have, the remote one or the other more basic type?

Thank you! Just using the basic PF using medium size motor with a switch battery supply. I might add a IR ans see how it works.

Wow! Amazing! I love all the details but my favourites are the bridge, the waterfall and the search game of course :grin:

They were the most fun to build and the longest area to build. To get all 4 sections to blend in was tough.

Edited by TanTile

thanks for that. how did you get the motor to run at a suitable speed? ive got 8293 and the motor goes too quickly for the carousel. not clever with MOC, so havent been able to work out how to do it.

thanks for that. how did you get the motor to run at a suitable speed? ive got 8293 and the motor goes too quickly for the carousel. not clever with MOC, so havent been able to work out how to do it.

No problem. I used this worm piece, It worked a treat! :)

11305950594_7647548cbd_c.jpg

ooo, perfect. nice and easy to understand. thank you!! now to track down the parts. much appreciated, tantile :sweet:

Fantastic work. I love everything about this. The idea, the models, the "Where's Waldo" stuff. Great job!

Is it modular? Do you plan to keep it together to display every year?

That would chew up most of my white brick collection!

Fantastic work. I love everything about this. The idea, the models, the "Where's Waldo" stuff. Great job!

Is it modular? Do you plan to keep it together to display every year?

That would chew up most of my white brick collection!

Yep it is modular. Each 48x48 can be separated and all buildings an be removed as if it was a floor section on a modular building.

Lol it almost used all my White too, Back to Bricklink I think :)

Wow, my other half would love to have it in display in our house for christmas xDD

Thank you! our whole family loves it!

Wow, amazing Christmas layout. I see you've made a reversed version of the cottage, I thought about doing that too.

Thank you very much!, Yeah that was a good challenge, getting my brain to do it in reverse every step of the way. I love how it turn out with the Tan too instead of the blue.