cesbrick

MEC Category B: Gandalf’s Retreat

Hi everybody.

This is my entry to the MEC. I only had enough time to build in one category, so I choose B.

After Sauron was defeated and the ruling ring has been destroyed, the age of men, an age of peace and harmony, began. Gandalf took a break from is great adventures and quests and now lives peacefully in a small cottage in the middle of the woods. Frodo, Bilbo and other friends continue to visit him, and when they do, they seat by the fire, talking about how they manage to get thru all the dangers and slippery roads. It’s a time of peace, it’s a time of friendship…

The idea was to recreate a circular cottage with a roof in a shape of a wizard’s hat, taking some inspiration on the latest DC build, Caer Caradoc . The roof didn’t worked out as I wanted, mainly because of lack of time and specific parts, but I think the idea is there. I now this roof is not going to please to everybody, but hopefully the idea gets thru. :)

Some photos. Hope you like it and CC is welcome!

PS: Good luck to everyone!

15497068950_93d026f0e6_c.jpg

15495997509_5b2a0d38af_c.jpg

15061939784_0d4e874486_c.jpg

Edited by cesbrick

Wow, what a nice creation this is!

The choice of colors, the textures of that beautiful house and the all the nice different trees are a true pleasure to look at. :wub:

But I don't know if this fits the description of the category because Gandalf didn't stay in Middle Earth. He sailed together with Frodo, Bilbo, Elrdond and Galadriel to Valinor an never returned to Middle Earth.

Wow, what a nice creation this is!

The choice of colors, the textures of that beautiful house and the all the nice different trees are a true pleasure to look at. :wub:

But I don't know if this fits the description of the category because Gandalf didn't stay in Middle Earth. He sailed together with Frodo, Bilbo, Elrdond and Galadriel to Valinor an never returned to Middle Earth.

Thanks Wat! Glad you enjoy it! :classic:

I must confess that although I had seen all the movies and being a fan, I'm not a HUGE fan and don't know a lot of things about Tolkien stories and books.

Well, if it doesn't fit, that's OK, it was an enjoyable build anyway. :laugh:

The colors, terrain and lighting really make this awesome model feel alive! I think for next competitions they should limit the brick count because the models got very big (not thats anything wrong with that), but there are people who dont have much bricks or cant afford them...

Awesome! The style of the building, terrain and foliage are all well done IMO. And I think this does fit category B because its supposed to be your story of what happens in the future of Middle Earth. Gandalf could have returned a couple centuries later or in an alternate universe or something, lol. Also, great halloweeny colors.

This is the kind of moc I would like to see in Legoland. Have you ever been to Legoland? Not that the mocs in Legoland are bad, but I would really like to see great detailed mocs in minifig scale on display like this one. Maybe Lego could add a big room and put on display mocs from Afols all over the world. This would inspire Afols to make instructions for Lego and have their names as builders displayed. I would certainly like to see such a Lego museum. Well I will keep dreaming...

Very cool build cesbrick! There's too much great stuff here to pick out just one thing! Also, I think this build fits in fine, because in the books, Gandalf stayed around for quite a while before sailing with Frodo, Galadriel, Celeborn, Bilbo, and Elrond to the undying lands. :wink:

Very nicely done. I like the build. I'll never understand how the angled roof is built. I've seen that before in other MOCs and I have no idea how to do it. Any tips?

I've been wanting to make a better Hagrid's Hut, so I could use that concept, plus the rounded stone walls (which I'm not good at building either).

Keep up the good work!

Thank you all for your nice comments! Really appreciate it.

Colibri, no, I've never been to Legoland. But I too think that TLC should pay more attention to the AFOL world. Like you said, keep on dreaming..

Very nicely done. I like the build. I'll never understand how the angled roof is built. I've seen that before in other MOCs and I have no idea how to do it. Any tips?

I've been wanting to make a better Hagrid's Hut, so I could use that concept, plus the rounded stone walls (which I'm not good at building either).

Keep up the good work!

This roof was without any doubt the hardest that I've ever built. It's a mix of wedges (round and linear) connected to a structure by 1x2 hinges plates. Then the tiles are put together and the ones on the curved parts are only semi-connected. It's hard to tell in words... :sceptic: But the overall shape was a pain to get...

Edited by cesbrick

The roof is incredible - also groundwork and plants are excellent.

Is that Aragorn lurking about on the side of the set?

Yes it is! Glad someone spoted him! :wink:

Goog luck to everyone!!

Fantastic build, it's nice to see your style in a middle earth build. That being said, I feel like these colors are slightly contradicting( there's some trees that look like they are in late fall( the Orange ones) and others that look like early spring( the light green ones) Also, the ground looks a little dead and dry in some sections, like its devoid of life. Additionally, this doesn't really feel like middle earth, or any known part at least. The cottage looks great, with superb detailing, except for the roof, which look only a little off( I think the problem is the bent part looks like it would be too large if it was turned up strait.

Despite the few flaws this is still a awesome build and I can't wait to see more of your builds :)

Thanks lord Dan, for your words.

About the trees, there are no bright green. Just regular green and dark green and this ones is all I have. Maybe the colors are a little off due to my poor photoshop skills. The floor is a little dry, yes I agree, but with a base this size was dificult to me to make it look different or more vibrant without beeing cramped.

About the not looking middle earth, well I think thats debatable. :) I chose category B because of the wide limitations possible. But maybe with more fooliage or flowers would looked more natural. Thanks for your CC. ;)