Sign in to follow this  
AnalogPanda

[MOC] A guest at Goblin's getaway

Hi all,

Here's my first not-super-small MOC. I don't have a huge brick collection, so this pushed the limits of what I have on hand. I don't think it's perfect, and I wanted to do so much more with it. But I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

26429649684_5ce521c3fd_h.jpg

Flickr album with lots of pics is here

I'd love to get some feedback with how I could improve the building techniques.

Photography feedback is welcome as well (but I already know it's pretty bad!)

I just build for fun, so there's no backstory.

Thanks, and I look forward to your input!

I remember the frustrations I had with a small brick collection--it can be pretty difficult. I'll give some feedback, but obviously you might not be able to use the advice because of your collection size. You used some great looking techniques, the bridge in particular looks good, as does the roof. The rocks leading into the water also look nice and fairly natural. The figure posing looks nice and dynamic. Some of the landscaping looks nice, but I think thre are too many different colors on the ground--particularly the dark red and the lime green on opposite sides of the path seem like a very strong contrast. Another thing (which is something I'm also still working on) is that it seems very blocky in places. A few ways to help with that would be to have an irregularly shaped base, or attach the house at an angle. The dark red wedge shape pieces also do a nice job of making it look less blocky when compared to the lime green for example. Hopefully that helps a bit, but I'm sure a lot was already somewhat obvious and couldn't be helped due to your brick collection. Keep at it, this is a great start with some very nice techniques, and I'd love to see what you can do with more bricks!

One last bit of advice, I remember when I had a very limited collection, it forced me to get more creative with the pieces I did have, which helped me to make nice little details, even though the quality of the MOC as a whole was a lot lower than I wanted. You could try focusing on that for now as well.

It looks like you did a good job making the most of what you have. I like the bridge, details around the house, and path especially :thumbup:

The tree trunk is a fun touch too :classic:

A very nice build, especially using a small parts collection :thumbup: The rockwork is excellent, and I really like the bridge. Great job with all the little details to the side of the hut as well, I particularly like how you used an upside-down helmet there :thumbup:

I agree with Milo that the dark red and lime green don't work the best together though, possibly use brown or lime green instead of the dark red?

Great job overall, looking forward to seeing more from you :classic:

Edited by LittleJohn

You made a lot out of these parts! Beautiful arrangement and a fun idea for your build. It really made me smile :classic:

Thanks for the constructive feedback, everyone. It's great to hear from more experienced builders!

@MiloNelsiano - Thanks for all your thoughtful and detailed input! I totally see what you mean about the mismatch of color and shaping on either side of the path. Making them more consistent (or at least less contrasting) would help it all flow together, and could probably make the path pop a little more.

Also, great point about attaching the house at an angle - I though about this, but then went the safe route. I really should have been more brave!

@everyone - even though I mentioned my limited parts collection, please feel free to suggest better alternate parts/techniques. I may not have the parts you suggest, but I do plan on growing the collection =)

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to give some feedback. It really helps a lot!

Thanks, Captain Braunsfeld. At some points, I realized I couldn't make things as ambitious as I had wanted. So I chose to scale them back rather than let them look "half-built".