Peppermint_M

Which Comic Do You Read?

Hello.

Having used the search function and not found anything from the past two years asking members which comics they read, I decided to ask just that.

So... I read Justice Society of America (10 years worth of TPB). Any Elseworlds that take my fancy and Alan Moore's lesser known work for 2000AD and hit Top 10 series. I love The Sandman and I am slowly colecting all of the TPB. Geoff Johns is my favourite writer (I noticed that the books I liked best had him credited every time).

As for manga, I am reading CLAMP's Tsubasa and xxxHolic and I also read Fullmetal Alchemist. I have the complete The Big O manga (apart from two untranslated books) and all of Cyborg 009.

Webcomics? I read Shortpacked! Dr McNinja, Girl Genius, xkcd, chainsawsuit, Starslip, VG Cats, Megatokyo, Non-Adventures of Wonderella, Freak Angels, The 10 Doctors, Kitty Hawk, Legostar Galactica, Adventures of S-Team, Irregular Webcomic, Lego Space and Order of the Stick.

I may have missed some off the list (my favourite internet links know what I read anyway).

So how about you?

Do Graphic Novels count? If so I read Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Clone Wars adventures, Knights of the old Republic and Dark Times

As for comics, I read the comics in the LEGO Club Magazines/Brickmaster, Garfield, the Simpsons, and Calvin and Hobbes.

I read the X-Men (and their spinoffs) off and on. I tend to focus on stories that feature certain villains (Apocalypse and Mr.Sinister primarily so I thought the Age of Apocalypse storyline was awesome) and my interest comes and goes when they aren't involved. The characters are interesting, but the stories with those villains are typically quite epic and hard to out do so when things go back to the typical monthly stories they just don't have the same appeal to me.

That kind of sums up my current take on most Marvel books actually. I have a few favored Avengers villains I try to follow (primarily Ultron) and if the Phalanx show up in anything I try to read it. The recent (last few years) space titles have been good. I can't think of the title they fell under, but they revitalised Nova, the Super Skrull, and Ronan the Accuser. The Dirty Dozen style title was pretty good. I'll have to look up the title they all fell under.

There was another Marvel title that spanned 3 different series and had a number of spinoffs that I thought was very good. The total story would have over 40 issues in total. It was called Earth X. It featured a Marvel a couple of decades from now where everyone had been given powers. It was basically a final story for the Marvel Earth kind of story once it was all said and done. I really liked it.

For DC, I followed the recent super events starting with Infinite Crisis. For monthly titles I try to keep up with the Green Lantern titles because they have been fairly interesting since Hal Jordan came back and the war with the Sinestro Corps.

I also follow the Star Wars Legacy comics and I have been trying to read through some other SW comics like the original KotoR line.

As far as Graphic Novels/compilations I have read the following and thought they were good: V for Vendetta, Watchmen, DC:Identity Crisis, Green Lantern:Emerald Twilight & A New Dawn, Green Lantern:Rebirth, Superman:Red Son, DC: Kingdom Come, and X-Men: Rise of Apocalypse. The two Alan Moore titles were great as were the Kingdom Come and Superman titles.

I must confess to being a weeaboo- the only "comics" I have read recently are all manga scanlations. And two of the ones I can remember reading are finished, as in done.

Anyway, I will list them out here:

Kodomo No Jikan- About a little girl in love with her schoolteacher. Full of pervy jokes and antics as she constantly teases him and makes him look like a pedophile to onlookers. Currently ongoing. Also has an animu series that you can look up on YouTube.

Mai-Chan's Daily Life-

Death Panda-

Whoooo! I don't even think I can even DESCRIBE those two! Best look them up yourself! They are both by the same author- Uzita Waiga, and are both totally not something to be caught reading/owning. Would get thee party-vanned. Save Death Panda for last though. Both are complete.

Graphic Novels count. (Although I think that its a bit of a silly title, they're comics butwhat-the-hey, people feel better if they call 'em that)

I live miles away from my nearest comic book shop so the only way I keep up are with the Trade Paper Backs. (TPB).

My Elseworlds collection is so far made up of Batman:Thrillkiller. The Nail, Another Nail and Kingdom Come. I have a few more on the list. I do have a years worth of Batgirl in single issues alongside my mid-sized collection of TPBs.

Graphic Novels count. (Although I think that its a bit of a silly title, they're comics butwhat-the-hey, people feel better if they call 'em that)

I live miles away from my nearest comic book shop so the only way I keep up are with the Trade Paper Backs. (TPB).

My Elseworlds collection is so far made up of Batman:Thrillkiller. The Nail, Another Nail and Kingdom Come. I have a few more on the list. I do have a years worth of Batgirl in single issues alongside my mid-sized collection of TPBs.

Totally agreed, graphic novel to me always seemed like a title that was invented to feel more "mature" than comics. Great elseworlds there too, I love The Nail duology (specially Barda!) and Kingdom Come.

I have a huge collection, but here's my main titles:

Batman

Detective Comics

Robin

Batgirl

Nightwing

Catwoman

Blue Beetle

Superman Confidential

All Star Superman

Justice League International

Justice League of America

Booster Gold

Among others, and not all that the same time of course, or I'd be bankrupt! :laugh:

I plan on getting to Green Lantern, Secret Six and Birds of Prey too.

Batgeek Away! :devil:

I read spiderman, and X-men when I can. The old ones were better, and even still I dont read them that much.

I'm not a reader of proper comics, although I should try reading a few as I do have access to a large collection (Xmen, Batman, Spiderman and so on) through one of my family members. I guess I'm daunted by the scale of it actually - and also I couldn't afford to get seriously into it (time or money). Mind you that's a bit negated by someone else having the collection already :) As it is I have invested a fair bit in ordinary books (fantasy, pratchett, classics, factual). Most of my exposure to any of the world of proper comics was religious watching of the Xmen cartoon series on TV as a kid, and the animated Batman (which I still think is marvellous, I love the music, stories and the convincing dramatic environment as well as the art style).

I have three graphic novels - Mort, The Last Hero and Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. I love the artwork in the latter two particularly, and the Wee Free Men was just a fabulous Christmas present surprise - it was a delight to read again and enjoy the artwork.

Not comics or graphic novel, but I have always been a very keen fan of Asterix and Hergé's various works.

Webcomics:

Ctrl-Alt-Del, PhDcomics, xkcd, garfieldminusgarfield, dilbert (fits as a webcomic despite being in print first)

"Funnies" I love include Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes (possibly favorite), Farside, Garfield. Quite enjoyed some FoxTrot compilations that arrived as Christmas presents in the family this year.

I read every part of Kdog's Space Comic.

I also read Disney comics drawn by Carl Barks, and the Lucky Luke comics.

I read far too many titles before. It was due to the library not having a few volumes that I even bought my own in the first place.

After the "Crisis" I have stuck to JSA and interesting Elseworlds, but I have quite a lot of Teen Titans comics and TPBs (until they got all lame and emo). I have Superman/Batman Generations I and II on my list for my next purchases, as are Alan Moore's work for DC (a collected edition is out there somewhere) the last few volumes of Sandman I need and JSA until such a time as something occurs that puts me off it (I hope the new writers are nice, Geoff Johns was very good to the JSA). I'm sure a heap load of books will come out that I will need.

I also have all of the Robotech comics that were collected into books.

Lego, Zoids and Books of all kinds demand my money :tongue:

(ps. Barda rocked, I am trying to convince my friends to do a New Gods cosplay for the next comic conj ust so I won't stick out going as Barda when they are Batman Baddies )

These are the comics I read regularly... but I warn you, I'm a voracious reader... this list may scare you...

MANGA:

Negima!

Tsubasa

XXXholic

Naruto

Bleach

Fruits Basket

Hikaru no Go

MARVEL:

The Incredible Hercules

Amazing Spider-Man

New Mutants

X-Factor

HALO

Mighty Avengers

Secret Warriors

Thor

X-Force

X-Men Legacy

DC:

Action Comics

Batman

Batman Streets of Gotham

Booster Gold

Detective Comics

Flash

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Gotham City Sirens

Red Robin

Secret Six

Superman

Teen Titans

OTHER:

GI Joe

GI Joe Origins

GI Joe Cobra

Transformers

Transformers Spotlight

Star Wars Legacy

Street Fighter

And if I had more money... I'd read twice as much... :cry_sad:

These are the comics I read regularly... but I warn you, I'm a voracious reader... this list may scare you...

*snip*

And if I had more money... I'd read twice as much... :cry_sad:

That is one big list. I went off Marvel (I read X-Men but I was in a bad place and didn't need the angst) xxxHolic and Tsubasa are very good, I have up to 18 of Tsubasa and 12 of xxxHolic.

I just read "De Schorpioen" (Eng: The Scorpion) and "De Aasgieren" (Eng: The Vultures). Maybe not know in other countries because it aren't comics like superman & co and it's more for the European market (and it's called a strip instead of a comic).

One of the strip covers of "De Schorpioen"

Schorpioen_004.jpg

One of the strip covers of "De Aasgieren"

aasgieren.jpg

I'd love to read more European comics, apart from Asterix and Tin Tin I can't find anything in English. oh, and Nemi in The Metro. I have a book of global comics and some of the French ones look amazing. It's too bad that only stuff from Japan or America gets imported.

I'd love to read more European comics, apart from Asterix and Tin Tin I can't find anything in English. oh, and Nemi in The Metro. I have a book of global comics and some of the French ones look amazing. It's too bad that only stuff from Japan or America gets imported.

Wow I did'nt know they had comics on planet Zi! :tongue: Well I mostly read my old Incredible Hulk, and Batman. With a little bit of spidey here and there I'm a bit of a comic geek I've read tons of them! :grin:

My older brother has boxes and boxes of The Phantom comics... that I still read when going back to my parents. Otherwise there is always (also at my parents) Asterix, Calvin and Hobbes, Tin Tin and Commandos.

Wow I did'nt know they had comics on planet Zi! :tongue: Well I mostly read my old Incredible Hulk, and Batman. With a little bit of spidey here and there I'm a bit of a comic geek I've read tons of them! :grin:

I also have every volume of the Zoids manga availiable :tongue: .

I am a huge comic geek as I remember most of the information on characters I read aboud on wikis and in comics... Never ask me a question about one of them or I will give you the pottes history (that I agree with, some stuff is to stupid to mention) and affiliations. Also never ask if I read Marvel, at first it was annoying (I only read DC these days) but after some of the editorial desicions over there its plain embarassing. :tongue:

Nowadays, I mostly read the Star Wars Legacy serie. And a little gem that is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. The art of that one is just astonnishingly fantastic.

But in SW, I have all the TPB of The Clone Wars (the previous serie, not the one based on the tv show), Tales of the Jedi and the two Crimson Empire.

I also used to read Ultimate Spider-Man, which I absolutely loved untill Bagley left the serie. Then I felt it lost it's dynamic. But the characters felt so true, thanks to Bendis's writing skills. It's just that Immonen's art just lost all consistency. Most of the time, I can't recognise who is drawn in a pannel if he's not wearing a costume.

And then there's Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane.

I also read the Amazing Spider-Man when Strazinsky was writing, but since that brand new day thing, I completely lost interest.

But I do read Invicible Iron-Man from time to time.

As for DC comics, I often try to go in its universe, but most of the time, I have no idea how it works. I find its collection of comics a complete mess, with story arc crossing over many different serie that make it hard to follow anything. (my first attempt was the Knightfall serie, that went all over the place in the many different Batman comics and whatnot and from an outsider point of view, it was really confusing... beside, it can get hard to find comics, here in Belgium, so I gave up pretty quick, in fact). But there were quite a few TPB I found excellent like Dark Knight returns and sequel, the Long Halloween serie and the different Joker one-shots like The Man Who Laughs and the Killing Joke.

Then there's Allan Moore' league of Extraordinary Gentlemen which is a personnal favourite of mine. (I was lucky enough that my sister made a trip to California last summer, so she brought me back the Black Dossier which DC decided not to distribute outside the US for some sobscure copyright fears). And I'm still waiting for him to finally write that volume 3.

And of course there are waaay too many european comics to be listed here (beside, most of them have never been translated or released outside of europe anyway...)

but a chosen few from the top of my head would be Sillage (I think I saw it translated in "Wake" somewhere), Universal War One, Lanfeust de Troy, Gipsy, Rapaces (the Vultures mentionned by capt. Kirk somewhere above), Murena, Corto Maltese and many others...

Oh and I almost forgot Mafalda, by Quino

Let's see..

Comics/graphic novels/(whatever :wink:) that I like:

The Red Star, Blueberry (anything by Giraud/Moebius really), Asterix, Donald Duck (especially stories by Carl Barks and Don Rosa), Elfquest (everything is available online :grin:), Sandman, (And a lot of others that I can only remember the Norwegian names for at the moment :wink:, several of them might not have been translated into English)

As for webcomics I reguarly read Girl Genius (quite possibly the best webcomic there is, well deserved Hugo nomination :grin:), xkcd, Questionable Content, Looking for group, Order of the Stick, Erfworld. And a lot of others irregularly. (and I should have added more links here I guess.. too lazy at the moment though)

Heh, listing webcomics I read is a long and tiresome task. Every day I have at least four to read for their regular updates and three to check incase of new postings. :tongue:.

Okay, here's my trade list off memory. Be warned most are Batman as I mostly tackle each characters books at a time, I'm currently getting Blue Beetle, Boost Gold and Justice League Unlimited.

Anyway, list:

Batman: Year One

Batman and the Monster Men

Batman and the Mad Monk

Batman: The Man Who Laughs

Batman: Haunted Knight

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: Dark Victory

Catwoman: When in Rome

Robin: Year One

Batman: Ego

Batman: Faces

Tales of the Demon

Son of the Demon

Bride of the Demon

Birth of the Demon

Nightwing: Year One

Batman: The Killing Joke

A Death in the Family

A Lonely Place of Dying

Knightfall: Broken Bat

Knightfall: Who Rules the Night

Knightfall: Knightsend

Batman: Prodigal

Arkham Asylum: Living Hell

No Man's Land vol 2

No Man's Land vol 4

Nightwing: Love and Bullets

Catwoman: The Dark End of the Street

Batman: Broken City

Gotham Central: In the Line of Duty

Gotham Central: Half a Life

Gotham Central: Unresolved Targets

Gotham Central: The Quick and the Dead

Gotham Central: Dead Robin

Batman: Face the Face

Batman: Detective

Batman: Death and the City

Batman: Private Casebook

Batman: Heart of Hush

Joker: Greatest Stories Ever Told

The Dark Knight Returns

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth

Batman: Black and White vol 1

Batman: Black and White vol 2

Tales of the Batman by Tim Sale

Batman: Strange Apparitions

Batman: Gothic

Blue Beetle: Shell Shocked

Blue Beetle: Road Trip

Blue Beetle: Reach for the Stars

Superman: Kryptonite

All-Star Superman vol 1

DC Universe Stories by Alan Moore

Watchmen

V for Vendetta

Kingdom Come

Justice vol 1

DC: The New Frontier

Justice League Unlimited vol 1

Justice League Unlimited vol 2

52 vol 1

52 vol 2

JLA: Earth Two

Of course a lot of these are on order. Man, looking at this makes me realise I need to get a life :blush:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

That's a lot (about the same size as my graphic novel collection) Like I said, I have lots of JSA, the two Earth-2 TPB and all the books from number 1 to 12, plus the new reboot, several Classified and the All Star JSA book. I'm probably going to get the Elseworld JSA: Golden Age. I decided that I'd stick to a team title. :classic:

"Asterix".

untitled1-47wghf5ud.jpg

I never liked the "Asterix" films but when it comes to comics, "Asterix" is my personal favorite :blush: and one of the best european comics in my opinion.

It has even been translated into ancient greek and two local greek dialects.