What do you get if you take the new 8043 Motorized excavator, some extra PF and technic parts and a crazy builder ?

The Ultimate 8043

DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS.

I modified my 8043 even more than I did the first time. I believe these mods are all "legal" builds. These mods hugely increase the playability of the model. It now includes:

* Full independent simultanious controll of all the functions

* Joystick-controller that works just like a real excavator. Based on a desigh by Jason Railton

* 8878 Rechargeable battery

* XL-motor for lifting boom

* PF-lights

* Improved bucket looks and operation

* Improved Dipper range

* All the gear-reduction moved to the undercarriage

* Cabin roof

This time I made full (photo-) instructions so everyone can turn their 8043 into a properly working mean digging machine.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop
Corrected spelling of "Modifications" on original post title.

That's an incredible set of modifications. I see that the controller now functions like Jennifer Clark's JCB JS220 excavator (and like the real thing) which makes it a pleasure to operate. Thank you very much for all your work on this.

That indeed is a mean digging machine, well done!

Especially the fact that all features can work simultaneous is great, the motion and diging look just like the real thing.

It's great you made instructions and share them, thanks! :thumbup:

What do you get if you take the new 8043 Motorized excavator, some extra PF and technic parts and a crazy builder ?

The Ultimate 8043

DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS.

I modified my 8043 even more than I did the first time. It now includes:

* Full independent simultanious controll of all the functions

* Joystick-controller that works just like a real excavator. Based on a desigh by Jason Railton

* 8878 Rechargeable battery

* XL-motor for lifting boom

* PF-lights

* Improved bucket looks and operation

* Improved Dipper range

* All the gear-reduction moved to the undercarriage

* Cabin roof

This time I made full (photo-) instructions so everyone can turn their 8043 into a properly working mean digging machine.

Great made....

It seems that there is a wrong pdf file at part 5, sorry..

Cheers,

Raoul

I was going to wait a while to buy my 8043 to see if lego comes up with a solution to the problems people have been having. But seeing this now, I decided not to wait and to get one now. I saw a Buy-It-Now on eBay for $175 with free shipping and bought one.

Do you have a parts-list that I need to make this modification?

Many thanks for writing the instructions. Thanks also to whoever wrote instructions for a modification of the front loader, I'm looking forward to build that too. Thanks to Blakbird, your technicopedia lead me to buy a 8868 a little while ago, absolutely awesome.

That's awesome. The excavator works perfectly with these mods.

I think I'm missing a battery box to mod mine :cry_sad:

Great made....

It seems that there is a wrong pdf file at part 5, sorry..

Cheers,

Raoul

I corrected this. The link was corrected making part 5 avaible as well.

I was going to wait a while to buy my 8043 to see if lego comes up with a solution to the problems people have been having. But seeing this now, I decided not to wait and to get one now. I saw a Buy-It-Now on eBay for $175 with free shipping and bought one.

Do you have a parts-list that I need to make this modification?

Many thanks for writing the instructions. Thanks also to whoever wrote instructions for a modification of the front loader, I'm looking forward to build that too. Thanks to Blakbird, your technicopedia lead me to buy a 8868 a little while ago, absolutely awesome.

No I don't have a parts list. You don't need a lot of extra parts though, the 8878, 1 x XL-motor, 1 x M-motor and 1 x receiver are the most important parts. Although the 8878 is expensive, it is a crucial part of this mod. But in the end it will be cheaper, cause you don't need any more batteries for this battery-eater. And lithium-batteries are better than alkaline batteries for staying at the same voltage.

If you have a 8275 Bulldozer, you propably have enough parts.

thank you very much for the solution

now all i need is to get a PF XL and build the 8043 again!!

though im using a battery box similar to 8878 but with alkalines (as in the new trains)

No I don't have a parts list. You don't need a lot of extra parts though, the 8878, 1 x XL-motor, 1 x M-motor and 1 x receiver are the most important parts.

Great. It looks like I have exactly the right parts, I have an 8878, and I have exactly one M-motor, one receiver and remote control, and one spare XL motor. What are the odds of such a perfect fit?

though im using a battery box similar to 8878 but with alkalines (as in the new trains)

That has to fit as well, it's exactly the same size as the 8878.

thank you very much for the solution

now all i need is to get a PF XL and build the 8043 again!!

This mod was optimized for the size of the 8878. If your battery-box is exactly the same size, then it'll fit. There is practicly no more extra space in the back of the upperstructure. Everything fits in exacly. It's quite difficult already fitting almost 2 metres of PF-wire in there. I'd still prefer the 8878 over alkaline batteries cause Lithium-batteries keep their voltage better than alkalines. Alkalines have the property to give a lower voltage when being used constantly (even e.g. Duracells, I've tried). And they produce more chemical waist.

If you as willing to invest in a model like the 8043, then IMO it's definatly worth to get the 8878. I have 2 and I've never regretted a single moment buying them.

That's an incredible set of modifications. I see that the controller now functions like Jennifer Clark's JCB JS220 excavator (and like the real thing) which makes it a pleasure to operate. Thank you very much for all your work on this.

And the same controlls as my Pneumatic Excavator DEC-24and the JCB JS 130 by five-star-bricks. I will make a comparison between this PF-excavator and my pneumatic excavator soon.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

This looks really good and sounds like it works much better. Well done.

Paul

It certainly does work better. It took just only about 20 minutes to completly digg the huge box of pins you saw in the video. And if you have a 8043, you can do this mod too.

Now I want the 8043 even more!

The set alone is expensive enough, and with these mods it's now a wallet-buster :cry_happy:

wicked mods...... exactly what i wanted to do once i could afford this set, particularly the full independent control of the functions, it gives it the function it should of had if price constraints weren't a concern for lego.

wicked mods...... exactly what i wanted to do once i could afford this set, particularly the full independent control of the functions, it gives it the function it should of had if price constraints weren't a concern for lego.

Yes I agree, this is what the 8043 could have been like, but it would have been much more expensive.

And the full independent controll is especially nice when combined with the joystick controller. I can reccomend that one.

very nice!

i think i'll take apart my original 8043 and start over again - following your instructions :)

i cant see anywhere why you're not using the original bucket?

Because it is too large for the Excavator this size, and this smaller bucket has better movement range.

Great MOD, Jurgen!

This mod was optimized for the size of the 8878. If your battery-box is exactly the same size, then it'll fit. There is practicly no more extra space in the back of the upperstructure. Everything fits in exacly. It's quite difficult already fitting almost 2 metres of PF-wire in there. I'd still prefer the 8878 over alkaline batteries cause Lithium-batteries keep their voltage better than alkalines. Alkalines have the property to give a lower voltage when being used constantly (even e.g. Duracells, I've tried). And they produce more chemical waist.

If you as willing to invest in a model like the 8043, then IMO it's definatly worth to get the 8878. I have 2 and I've never regretted a single moment buying them.

And the same controlls as my Pneumatic Excavator DEC-24and the JCB JS 130 by five-star-bricks. I will make a comparison between this PF-excavator and my pneumatic excavator soon.

i meant this one bb466.jpg?1 it is the same size but i was about to ask for the batteries they use 6x AAA and i dont know if it has enough power

about the 8878 it is really expensive because i also have to buy the 8887 Power Functions Transformer 10VDC

i hope someday ill have enough money for it..

Thank you, Jurgen, you "crazy builder", who saved the reputation of TLG in this case.

I was hesitating about purchasing this set, mainly because of its high price, the reported technical problems, and rather limited playability.

Now, after I downloaded your instructions, I am going to purchase it, definitely. Yes, I will have to add some minor mods, mainly to accommodate the classic battery box, but your instructions will be my guide. Thanks.

very nice!

i think i'll take apart my original 8043 and start over again - following your instructions :)

The original bucket is way too big, rotation point is wrong (it should be et the edge of the bucket, not somewhere in the middle), and it doesn't go out far enough and doesn't move in enough. Look at some excavator YT-video's and you'll see what I mean. Ok this bucket is a bit too small, but it works much much better, so I prefer ihis one.

i meant this one bb466.jpg?1 it is the same size but i was about to ask for the batteries they use 6x AAA and i dont know if it has enough power

about the 8878 it is really expensive because i also have to buy the 8887 Power Functions Transformer 10VDC

i hope someday ill have enough money for it..

Yes, I know what you mean. It took me some time as well to save up enough money for the 8878 (&transformer), but if you really like Lego & power-functions (and you do), I think it definately worth to get it.

Thank you, Jurgen, you "crazy builder", who saved the reputation of TLG in this case.

Did I ? I made this mod & instructions for myself and for the AFOL & TFOL-community.

Because it is too large for the Excavator this size, and this smaller bucket has better movement range.

Great MOD, Jurgen!

hmm, i think it looks stupid with this little bucket... :sceptic:

I wanted to buy this set but hold it off after the troubles surfaced on the internet. Now I have seen this I will def buy it, incl the extra Power Function parts you mentioned. Because I don't own the bulldozer, do you have an idea of which other current technic set will give me the needed extra parts ?

@mortenm : why don't you use the mods but keep the original bucket ? That is my intention also.

Edited by OneSnowTrooper

AAA alkalines are not going to be very happy running the excavator ... too much current draw will mean they will discharge very quickly