Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint_M

MOC: Ignis Skyfighter

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Ignis

ignisa.jpg

When the Nex was commissioned, Project Ignis was taken from mothballing and re-started. This long range Fortress-Buster plane had got as far as field deployment when the powers that be at high command retired it, stopping their plans for an outer island push.

Five years later the Nex and the war on the freestate alliance were in full swing. Requiring some sort of human air support in combat, the team in charge of the highly classified Nex mission seconded the Project Ignis team and the pilot who had flown it. Now Lieutenant Beryl Somerton is once again taking Hynys flying fortresses down far out in the air combat zones.

This plane is based off the same general design as the Nex, however I lengthened the wings and body, adding a little more presence to this plane. I think the visible engine details make it seem a little older than the Nex, so I took more of the smoothness away by adding in the 1x1 studs. The Hawker Hurricane to the Nex’s Supermarine Spitfire. A little bigger, a little slower, a little less graceful looking, but nevertheless a handy plane in a fight. I have to add that the Hawker Hurricane is my favourite of its contemporaries. The stickers (seen in the pilot picture) represent the two fortress 'kills' of the plane and pilot.

I have one more plane of this Long Range project to build, I have had a cool idea in relation to this little storyline of mine...

ignis4.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Nice plane 'Peppermint', your story that goes with it reminds me of the story line from the film 'Things To Come'. :classic:

Oh, now that's an idea.....you like Skyfighter's right....build this....

THINGS_TO_COME-7.jpg

things-to-come.jpg

ttc1.jpg

Sorry, about the last image....it's just a model of the WT-34 plane from the film...vintage 1976 flown by the technology people who don't want war anymore....yeah, the war had lasted more than 40 years ! :wink:

Watch the film you get stacks of ideas. :wink:

Brick On 'Peppermint' Fly On too....Oh, I hope you enjoyed your birthday ! :sweet:

Thanks all,

LT, I will have to look that up, I am always looking for new ideas.

Alasdair, I figured that the printed torso/leg pairs from Alpha Team looked great as military uniform for my figures.

Mikeosaurus, the wings on this plane are on 2x12 plates, a 1x2 section is inside the body of the plane with a pair of the SNOT brackets lined up against the plane sides. Then the wingtips are the car roof parts, placed so that the plate goes right to the edge inside the element, another pair of SNOT brakets there too. Then I filled in the gaps with 3 minifig bases a, 2x2 tile and a 2x1 tile, covering the SNOT brakets with t 1x6 slopes and bricks on a pair of 1x6 plates each side. It takes about 24 pieces to build a wing!

Ah, so that's how it was done. 24 pieces is quite a bit for a single wing, but its worth it for that curvy look. Its always interesting to see how people find uses for those collectible minifig plates!

Another awesome plane, 'Peppermint M'. Like 'Brickmamba' said, great color choice. I really like the look of the wings and fuselage. Keep up the great aircraft builds default_classic.gif