Sign in to follow this  
Artifex

After buying Lucasfilm, Disney now goes for Hasbro

After buying Lucasfilm (and Star Wars), Disney is now turning its attention to Hasbro (owner of Transformers, GIJoe, Dungeons & Dragons...).

Check out the rumours here.

If true, what do you think of these news?

I'm surprised (and a bit shocked), but I think overall it's good news nevertheless.

If only Lego could buy Disney...

Ugh, I hope this doesn't happen. Of course SheepEater makes a good point. Although my wallet would be happy, no more buying LSW. The rest of me would be sad.:sad:

Hmmm, they've gobbled up Pixar, Marvel Studios, Jim Henson Productions, ABC, Touchstone, ESPN, Hollywood Records, Hyperion Books, Hulu, Lucas Films and now Hasbro?

Who would have guessed that the world's biggest evil empire would have started with a mouse?

I think SheepEater could be right, if Disney gets Hasbro, several of TLG licensed themes could be in danger of not getting renewed (SW, POTC, Cars, PoP, Marvel SuperHeroes, etc.) Disney has a pretty long reach.

It's NOT good news. The minute they own Hasbro, you can expect Lego Star Wars to end and Kre-O Star Wars to begin.

Because Disney and Lego have a bad professional relationship? :sceptic:

Really, Kree-O is sold by Hasbro, not made by them. A bigger worry would be them just making their own series. But realistically, Lego is not simply a series of molds, but an evolved brain-trust that has value beyond the plastic they press. Making pieces does not equal making Lego sets.

LEgo has SW for ten years but we're not privvy tothe contract so there may be clauses that can lead to an early termination from both parties.

A lot will depend on how well Kre'o is selling. If it's a lame duck then Disney/Hasbro could end it compeltely and turn their attention to buying up mega-brands.

These things usually take a long time to sort themselves out though as product licensing is a bit of a minefield. No reason to get unduly worried just yet. I'm sure LEGO will watch with great interest and prepare for all eventualities.

No No No.

As much as Hasbro would like to have Kre-O Star Wars I do not think the fans of Star Wars will like such an idea. The Kre-O battleship and soon to be released GI Joe sets look pathetic in comparison to the SW sets made by Lego. Hasbro even had the nerve to "repaint" a Kre-O battleship set into a GI Joe set. Google "KRE-O G.I. JOE COBRA ARMORED ASSAULT set" and "KRE-O Battleship Mine Stryker set". :sick:

You don't see this kind of laziness on Lego's part. Imagine an LOTR set using an old catapult or carriage from the Castle line. I fear that if Hasbro had its way some Battleship or GI Joe design could end up being Star Wars sets since Hasbro and Disney are the same party.

Also if this news is true then all the Lego Star Wars sets will go up in value faster than Apple stock. :laugh:

Hey everyone, don't forget the ponies!

I saw this article yesterday (on Equestria Daily :grin: ) and all I worry about is the fate of MLP:FiM, the Hub, and Kre-O.

Would Disney terminate their license with TLG to start making Kre-O stuff? It would be very unlikely, but it could happen after this. I would like to see the Kre-O brand be retired, so we can get some nice MLP:FiM and Transformers LEGO sets (it would look way better if designed by TLG).

And then, what would happen to the Hub and MLP:FiM? Would Disney start putting Disney XD shows on their, and make it like the current Nicktoons channel but for Disney? What would happen to MLP:FiM? All I hope is that Disney doesn't put their say in the series.

Edited by just2good

Not sure what to think about this. I can't see much good nor bad coming from this. It's just whatever to me. Who knows, maybe Disney will be able to find somebody who can make an actually good movie based on a Hasbro property such as Transformers. :tongue:

It's just rumor right now anyway.

It's NOT good news. The minute they own Hasbro, you can expect Lego Star Wars to end and Kre-O Star Wars to begin.

Are you kidding me? They'd have to be some of the biggest morons in the world to let LSW end! It's a gold mine, especially with new movies coming up, and they know that. Ditching that in favor of Krappy-O Star Wars sets would be a really bad move. Besides, as others have said, we still have ten more years on the current license.

If anything, I think this could mean good things for Lego. I think they have a fairly good relationship with Disney, so perhaps Disney will give some of Hasbro's licenses into more capable hands. :wink:

They'll be stupid to cancel Lego Star Wars for some clone brand to make sets. I'm fairly certain KRE-O doesn't make even 10% of Lego's sales.

EDIT: Oky beat me to my point :laugh:

Edited by TheRedGuy

If this all came to be, Kree-o may still exist to create competition in the marketplace, but that doesn't mean they would get any better at making their sets. As others have mentioned, Disney would not give up their contract with LEGO to take them on directly with their own building block sets. Disney has a lot of money, but they also play into being a well known brand with a history of (one would assume) better quality. Same goes for TLG, so I doubt they would want to ruin things.

This can't be true... I've feared that Disney would go for Hasbro or Lefo after buying Lucas but hoped that it would not happen and not that fast.

Hopefully it's just a rumor.

I'm really in oposition to that idea. Big companies owning big companies was never a good thing especially with Disney's today greediness and it's luck of former creativity. It's not Walt Disney's child anymore. They've turned too much from a company creating child's environment and making big bucks thanx to that... into a company focused only on making big bucks.

Of course there's a good thing. With Disney as an owner such companies as Marvel will never fear bancrupcy again. And they'll still leave a lot of freedom to it's workers - despite all those Skywalker Mouse visions stuff all around.

But the thing is - with buying these companies Disney would obviously controll the whole market and dictate what they would like to everyone, with possibility of buying another big names - like Tyco and so on...

There would be not as much place for innovativeness and diversification as there is now.

And the biggest problem of all - no one would be able to repurchase these companies anymore, and they could not be taken over by someone with independent great vision... as Disney is not a place for visionaries anymore :sceptic:

Edited by Mazin

I think, personally, that this is just a rumor started by some of the trolls over at Something Awful or 4chan... Seriously, Disney is at the point where any further acquisitions run an extremely high risk of running afoul of Anti-Trust legislation, and one thing for certain is that can put the skids on anyone. Don't believe me? Just ask Microsoft or AT&T about how much good being a huge monolithic corporation will do you against the government.

Seriously, Disney is at the point where any further acquisitions run an extremely high risk of running afoul of Anti-Trust legislation, and one thing for certain is that can put the skids on anyone.

Excuse me for the indelicate question, but with all these mergings during the last two decades, I supposed the Anti-Trust body was outlawed in the US :innocent2: ...

Out of joke, I'm a big opponent to an acquisition, also because I fear that candid parents, relatives etc (the ones who put their money, I mean) could be fooled by the "magic" Disney logo, making a crowd along the Hasbro-Disney bricks shelves, with the LEGO ones abandoned and suffering damages by massive dustbowls :innocent: ...

This sounds like rumor-mongering to me. LucasFilm was a surprise, but George was actively looking for somebody to hock SW off to, and decided on Disney. Hasbro isn't looking to be bought, to my knowledge (though I may be wrong).

I wouldn't worry about LSW. It really is a gold mine.