Sign in to follow this  

This time I tested wheels, which have the best traction and which are more suitable for offroading.

Edited by Zblj

An interesting comparison of the different wheels available, however i feel the test methodology for traction could be flawed, If the weight of the tyres and wheels effects the vehicle weight as it does, is the comparison fair? With the test vehicle being so light the effect is magnified, if the vehicle weight was greater the effect would be reduced.

Edited by Sam42

Your findings confirm what "Philo" (Phillippe Hurbain) had found in his "Wheels, Tyres and Traction" webpage http://philohome.com/traction/traction.htm . However, the "stickiest" tire is not necessarily the best for off-roading, as you observed. Philo didn't analyze the large BALLOON tires like you did.

32180.jpg32180-g.gif

An interesting comparison of the different wheels available, however i feel the test methodology for traction could be flawed, If the weight of the tyres and wheels effects the vehicle weight as it does, is the comparison fair? With the test vehicle being so light the effect is magnified, if the vehicle weight was greater the effect would be reduced.

The weight of the cehicle shouldnt effect the wheel trtaction, because the traction coefficient is same no matter the weight. It was a simple crude test, and i was quite surprised, how bad 8297 wheels performed.

The weight of the cehicle shouldnt effect the wheel trtaction, because the traction coefficient is same no matter the weight. It was a simple crude test, and i was quite surprised, how bad 8297 wheels performed.

What about these ones? (81.6x38 -- 8295, 8265, etc)

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/45982

Cool video. As you pointed out, the modern off-road wheels like 94.8x44 aren't very good with traction. They're made of a thinner material than older balloon tires and seem to slip more easily. Out of the tires in my collection, the big racing slicks like the 8458 tires have especially good traction.

My messenger budy told me they are out of same rubber as 56 ones, so they sgould be a good choice!

Actually, I think the 81.6x38 wheels are made of the same, thinner material as 94.8x44. It's not the thicker rubber used on the 56x30 or 68.8x40 tires.

Edited by CP5670

It is a pitty that you did not test the mentioned 81.6 x 38 ones. I use them on my truck and traction is really great. Anyway thank you for your effort with the video.

It is a pitty that you did not test the mentioned 81.6 x 38 ones. I use them on my truck and traction is really great. Anyway thank you for your effort with the video.

Its just that i dont have them... Thanks, there will be a new tip tommorow :)