Sign in to follow this  
Yzalirk

Let's Talk Reptiles

Who else here loves reptiles? Just comment your thoughts and what not about all kinds of reptiles!

My favorite reptile has to be Bearded Dragons. It's ironic though since I do not have any yet! Nonetheless, I know just about everything there is to know about them. I like regular ones, leatherbacks, and silkbacks all the same. Though, silkbacks are a bit more difficult to care from what I hear, and more expensive. I plan to get two Beardies and have them placed in a 75 gallon tank by this summer. It would be cool to have hypos, trans, or even trans-hypos but I'd rather save the money and get regulars. As for colors, I want to go with either reds, oranges, yellows, or the standard tan color that most regulars are. I would include darker colored ones but I haven't seen them in stores like PetSmart or PetCo.

Enough about me talking about Bearded Dragons, what kinds of reptiles do you guys like?

I almost came home with three Bearded Dragons from the pet store. They were looking at me through the glass and one kept trying to crawl on my finger. But after the loss of my Hermit Crabs (Hermie I had for 7 years), my sons reminded me of the extensive care they needed just like the hermit crabs. So sadly they are still at the store. :cry_sad:

I like Snakes.

Any particular species of snake or just all in general?

I almost came home with three Bearded Dragons from the pet store. They were looking at me through the glass and one kept trying to crawl on my finger. But after the loss of my Hermit Crabs (Hermie I had for 7 years), my sons reminded me of the extensive care they needed just like the hermit crabs. So sadly they are still at the store. :cry_sad:

Bearded Dragons do require quite a lot of attention, especially if you have two males in the same tank together. They are surprisingly very territorial and they will fight, especially for a mate. So if you do plan to get some, just keep that in mind. They can also eat lettuce and small assorted vegetables, for the most part, as well as crickets, meal worms, etc. A lot of the insects can be fattening as well. You can also feed Beardies Anoles but personally, I wouldn't suggest it. I find it a bit cruel.

Also, do you know what kind of Beardies they were? I wonder if any pet stores sell silkies or leather backs and don't even realize it. :grin:

A good friend of mine has a bearded dragon, they're really great animals. I too am surprised at the amount of work bearded dragons need, the tank my friend uses is huge compare to what I expected.

My favourite reptile? I can't really say I have a favourite but I have always been interested by Snakes, in particular Pythons.

I love all reptiles, but my favourite of all reptiles has to be the frilled-neck lizard, anytime I go to my local national park, I'm always on the lookout for them and even catch them once in a while. I have a bearded dragon that lives in a certain area of my garden

I love fried gator :tongue: I do always stop by the reptile cages when I'm in a pet store. I prefer fuzzy animals, but they are neat watch and feed. I was googling how to care for large snakes (Boa's, etc) a few days ago, out of curiosity. Favorite would probably be Chameleon. Tongue, eyes, tail, colors; winner :classic:

I love all reptiles, but my favourite of all reptiles has to be the frilled-neck lizard, anytime I go to my local national park, I'm always on the lookout for them and even catch them once in a while. I have a bearded dragon that lives in a certain area of my garden

Frill-Necked Lizards are pretty cool as well. I'm not 100% sure but I think you get have them as pets. I've seen some guy on YouTube with one and it's neck frilled out and ran around on it's back legs very fast! That would be awesome to have but I would have the fear of it just running somewhere and I can't find it. :oh3:

I love fried gator :tongue: I do always stop by the reptile cages when I'm in a pet store. I prefer fuzzy animals, but they are neat watch and feed. I was googling how to care for large snakes (Boa's, etc) a few days ago, out of curiosity. Favorite would probably be Chameleon. Tongue, eyes, tail, colors; winner :classic:

Chameleons are very unique pets but I hear they get sick pretty easily. :sad:

Any particular species of snake or just all in general?

Bearded Dragons do require quite a lot of attention, especially if you have two males in the same tank together. They are surprisingly very territorial and they will fight, especially for a mate. So if you do plan to get some, just keep that in mind. They can also eat lettuce and small assorted vegetables, for the most part, as well as crickets, meal worms, etc. A lot of the insects can be fattening as well. You can also feed Beardies Anoles but personally, I wouldn't suggest it. I find it a bit cruel.

Also, do you know what kind of Beardies they were? I wonder if any pet stores sell silkies or leather backs and don't even realize it. :grin:

I don't know if a specific kind was listed, only that they were $64 each. And I was prepared to pay that x3 to take all three home. I'll have to remember about the males in the same habitat. That was always a problem with my African Cichlids (fish). They grew to 8-9" long in captivity (only get to about 4" long in the wild) and the alpha males were always very territorial.

To me, reptiles are simultaneously disgusting and interesting.

That's basically the point! :tongue:

I don't know if a specific kind was listed, only that they were $64 each. And I was prepared to pay that x3 to take all three home. I'll have to remember about the males in the same habitat. That was always a problem with my African Cichlids (fish). They grew to 8-9" long in captivity (only get to about 4" long in the wild) and the alpha males were always very territorial.

I assume they were adult Bearded Dragons? I've usually seen juveniles sells for cheapest at about $40 on average but it's a bit harder to determine the gender of them when they're young. But adult males will definitely fight over territory and a mate. Between them, it gets rough! I'm not really sure whether or not they'll become friends if they live together since they were juveniles but I wouldn't want to test that so I'll have to look into that.

As a kid, I wanted a reptile pet, but no way would my parents let me have one. The wife feels the same way. I thought of having something like a kingsnake, ball python, or a bearded dragon. Guess it was not meant to be.

[What I said]

Chameleons are very unique pets but I hear they get sick pretty easily.

I was not aware, assuming they where relatively low maintenance. Never really thought on how easy reptiles can get sick. That is unfortunate :look::classic:

I was not aware, assuming they where relatively low maintenance. Never really thought on how easy reptiles can get sick. That is unfortunate :look::classic:

It's not all reptiles, I think Chameleons in particular. I have a Leopard Gecko, who is about 8 years old (roughly), and has never been sick. Maybe I just take care of him good, I'm not sure.