Cabby

Cement Mixer (7990) Pic Review

Finally got my hand on the 7990 cement mixer (which apparently slipped through *yoda* 's reviewing frenzy) so here's my review for all EB City fans. :-)

My "good" camera was out of batteries so I used another not as good one. Some pictures may not be that good quality, sorry for that.

Here we start with the content of the box.

There are two parts bags + the big blue cement tank parts, a rubber-like hose and two 1x16 bricks:

7990_1.jpg

Here are the instructions book and sticker sheet (sorry, I normally don't apply them so you won't see them on the truck in this review - the cement mixer looks nice enough even without them ;-)):

7990_2.jpg

Let's take a closer look at the cement tank parts. Look, they have the spiral blades real cement mixers have - so we're looking at a "working" cement mixer :-):

7990_3.jpg

The assembled part looks like a lot of MOCing possibilities *sweet* :

7990_4.jpg

Nothing special when it comes to the minifig in this set. It's a regular worker with an evil grin (i'd say), hence the subtitle for this review :-) :

7990_6.jpg

The only accessory is this shovel.

After a few minutes, here's a very promising truck base.

7990_5.jpg

Only one detail i don't like much (as in the garbage truck or fire engines): the small wheels. They don't really

suit such large / heavy duty vehicles. It's actually pretty weird that city cars and trucks use the same wheel size. *wacko*

Now only the mixer tank and hose are missing and our truck looks good:

7990_7.jpg

For those of you who wonder (and would have asked for it anyway ;-) ), here's a detail shot on the rotation mechanism for the tank:

7990_8.jpg

The mixer tank parts are assembled as follow:

7990_9.jpg

Final touch to this very nice design: the rubber hose!

7990_10.jpg

The tank and hose are now attached and here's the cement mixer in all it's glorious beauty *wub*

7990_11.jpg

Extra parts:

7990_12.jpg

And of course, the cement !

7990_13.jpg

A funny note: the instructions book lists a hybrid part here. Pay attention. ;-)

7990_14.jpg

:-D maybe the person in charge for the parts listing had a bad night just before :-D

OK, let's start working and fill those holes:

7990_15.jpg

7990_16.jpg

Hey, watch it ! Careful with that hose ! X-O

Hmmm i guess it's time for a good cleaning, now :-|

7990_17.jpg

7990_18.jpg

7990_19.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the ride !

that's a great review of a pretty good set. *sweet* i'll take at least two.

i'm also happy that the blue cylinder comes in two pieces and are being put together with technic pins. can't be difficult to use those some place else... *sweet*

Nice review Cabby!

It looks like his "cement-hat" had time to hardened - must be a killer to clean :-P!

I really like your picture of the truck base. Not that the pieces/stuff are anything special but the picture got me thinking into making a lot of bases and putting different gear on them.

Mix On

copmike

Very nice review. Lots of pics, lots of description. *y*

As for the set, it does seem interesting. I can see the mixer parts serving as engines in a space MOC, but I'm not sure I'd want to take apart the set. Sounds like I'll have to buy a few if I can. Good job, LEGO, you're managing to interest me in areas I never bothered with much before.

Can we look forward to another excellent review in the future?

I really like your picture of the truck base. Not that the pieces/stuff are anything special but the picture got me thinking into making a lot of bases and putting different gear on them.

Sometimes you just don't feel like going through the first (often repetitive) steps of a model, and i think that base offers some possibilities.

Can we look forward to another excellent review in the future?

Why not ? :-) Yoda can't possibly keep up the pace of reviews frequency he had lately anyway ;-) :-P

Thanks for the review!

After seeing some pics on the net you proved what I thought: for me the base and the cylinders are a bit too long. It kinda looks "awkward". I prefer a "bulkier" truck like this one (about the same size, but bigger wheels and a "thicker" cement tank).

Nonetheless, as with all the new City sets: finally something new *y*

I prefer a "bulkier" truck like this one (about the same size, but bigger wheels and a "thicker" cement tank).

Nice one, indeed. The 7990 is actually a bit off-scale if you think about it. Real cement mixers are huge ! That one would be a mini cement mixer. :-)

Thanks Cabby for this review which I was wainting for! Nice pics!

I prefer a "bulkier" truck like this one (about the same size, but bigger wheels and a "thicker" cement tank).

Me too, but the 7990 is already a good one for an official LEGO set. So I will buy it (without esitation, like all the new city sets :-D (when I will find them on shelves, hard to wait...)

The colour scheme is really nice. It will be nice to have the same set in different colours, like in yellow or in green, to make other cement companies.

The colour scheme is really nice. It will be nice to have the same set in different colours, like in yellow or in green, to make other cement companies.

Ah yeah, true. I was all excited about the idea because all the blue pieces can easily be replaced by another color. No, wait. Not the mixer tank. :-$

So we definately need different sets. :-D

Thanks Cabby for your nice review. *y*

And congrats that you managed to outrun *yoda* ! ;-)

Two days ago a lingerd thorugh a local real,- market. They already had the 7990! 8-

Two days ago a lingerd thorugh a local real,- market. They already had the 7990! 8-

still i'll mod this one when i find it. i'll make it a bit shorter, get rid of the second pair of wheels, because in belgium, we usually have 6 wheeled mixers, not the 8 wheeled trucks. the smaller truck will also make the cylinder look larger, which is IMO a good thing. right now, it looks just a little bit too small...

i'll also move the black tap and the mirror to the ceiling. usually trucks like these have large mirrors at the ceiling, not so much the classic mirror you find on any car, that way i can also add doors...

Exactly the mods I had in mind ;-)

i'll also move the black tap and the mirror to the ceiling. usually trucks like these have large mirrors at the ceiling, not so much the classic mirror you find on any car, that way i can also add doors...

What a great idea! :-) I think I'll be stealing that.. ;-) Also, I will add the funnel where the cement goes in..

And the halfpipe (can't find any better english description, LOL) where the cement goes out, like here:

315170730_fcc8832c47.jpg

What a great idea! I think I'll be stealing that..
Exactly the mods I had in mind

do you guys know how? there isn't much room up there, so my first guess would be to replace the black plates and replace them at the side with this modified plate and then use a bar and attach a clip to it; or maybe i'll use a smaller black hose instead of a bar... hm... things to think about for the rest of the week |-/

Thank you for this wonderful review, Cabby. *y* It's nice to see someone besides Yoda is pulling the weight 'round these parts.

It's a relief the tank is made of two parts connected via technic pin, I foresee that will be very useful in various space MOCs, both whole and spit....I know, not best clairvoyance. :-P

And the halfpipe (can't find any better english description, LOL) where the cement goes out, like here:

:-D

3585-1.jpg

do you guys know how? there isn't much room up there, so my first guess would be to replace the black plates and replace them at the side with this modified plate and then use a bar and attach a clip to it; or maybe i'll use a smaller black hose instead of a bar... hm... things to think about for the rest of the week |-/

Yep, like that. I was thinking of using your plate how you described it and attach this piece as mirror. The 1x1 clip piece used in the model just doesn't look right...

Yep, like that. I was thinking of using your plate how you described it and attach this piece as mirror. The 1x1 clip piece used in the model just doesn't look right...

good idea! *sweet* that should be lots better... now we only have to get this thing X-D

thx mate.... super review....

it's a v good set... s must for the city... it's more realistic than the old city theme ^^

Edited by Hobbes

I was thinking of replacing the centerstud plates on the sides as well, and putting on a hose or a bar (like sne said) and attach two of these..

I was thinking of replacing the centerstud plates on the sides as well, and putting on a hose or a bar (like sne said) and attach two of these..

i think i'll go for this part in black, it's looks better than the old one...