Dreamweb

Which is better: Castle or Pirates?

Which one of those two lines do you prefer?  

411 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of those two lines do you prefer?

• Lego Pirates
    • Lego Castle

This thread is linked to the

The Pirate LEGO Directory

A "must visit" thread for anyone interesed in Pirate LEGO

I know there's already a What's your favourite Lego poll, however since this section is called Castle and Pirates (although includes some discussions on other themes, but this poll is clearly suggested by the name alone), we shall see which one of those two lines is a master here, and which one's a slave. As the topic's founder I'll remain objective, but only till my next post :-D

So if you were to choose between one of those two, what would it be?

Edited by mister_phes

oh oh, hide, Dreamweb is starting the war of the forum themes :D :P !!!!

As a little kid, City and Castle were my absolute favs !!!! After came a loooooong dark age and I missed lots and lots of those two themes !!

I am not a huge fan of the KK2 sets as a whole (even if there are some great parts in them).

I'll have to say Pirates !! Just love this theme !!!

i voted pirates as well

nice details, great sets with lots of minifigs, great images in cataloges,...

This is a really hard choice...

I chose Pirates.. based on the amount of money I just freekin' spent on a Skulls Eye Schooner (came today! And its a force! :-D )

Although I love Castle... and one day... maybe one day.. I will own a mighty collection... (although I have quite a bit of Castle stuff anyway heheh)

Aaargh pirates can lick my blood stained boots!

Castles, knights, lords and ladies, peasants, feasts, tournament and jest. What better life can we know.

Castle all the way! ;)

It's not a war by any means! :) Just a friendly game. I'm especially interested in explanations of your choices.

It seems to me that there are more varied and interesting things that can be done with a castle than with a ship.

If you will look up and down Brickshelf, unique and stunning castle masterpieces likely outnumber Pirate masterpieces 20:1.

I have BSB and SES and love them. But I could live without Lego Pirates. Lego without castles is an oxymoron.

Of course, to compare apples to apples, we are not talking about that pile o'crap they call KK2, or King Leo, etc. We are talking about King's Castle, Black Monarch, Black Falcon, Guarded Inn, and even some of the Forestmen.

It's Classic Castle for me, peeps.

Gyl

I think all Castle starting in the early 80's(the 70's castle wasnt for me.. I must be too young to get it... although its 10000x better than this new crap) was damn good. Until the Fright Knights(which were very weak in my opinion).

Ninja shortly gave Castle some nice quality, but besides those cool soldiers from the King Leo line(the ones with the brimmed helmets), Castle has sucked.

Lego Pirate gave a pretty good display of strength through its entire run too, except the 'silly' islanders(wasn't a big fan), and the weaker ship designs of the last year.

mister_phes Posted

Pirates would appear somewhat more discussable in this forum at the moment. Now why is that?

Pirates are spammers |-D

It seems to me that there are more varied and interesting things that can be done with a castle than with a ship.

If you will look up and down Brickshelf, unique and stunning castle masterpieces likely outnumber Pirate masterpieces 20:1.

The pirate theme isn't merely limited to ships!!!

Behold...

Eldorado Fortress

6276-1.jpg

This is practically a sea side castle. Anyway, the point is the pirate theme IS just a versatile as the castle theme if people researched and used their imagination. Whatever the Castle theme has the pirate theme can do it with a Caribbean twist! No nerrrr!

I'm going to have to post more MOCs...

mister_phes Posted

Pirates would appear somewhat more discussable in this forum at the moment. Now why is that?

Pirates are spammers |-D

Our threads are highly intelligible! Thank you for contributing to them.

The pirate theme isn't merely limited to ships!!!

Behold...

Eldorado Fortress

This is practically a sea side castle. Anyway, the point is the pirate theme IS just a versatile as the castle theme if people researched and used their imagination. Whatever the Castle theme has the pirate theme can do it with a Caribbean twist! No nerrrr!

I'm going to have to post more MOCs...

That's right bring up the Eldorado Fortress. That is always a safe example as there are so few people who dislike the set.

Pirates can be versitile but it is LEGO's fault they are not. Even with imagination Pirates aren't able to achieve the romanticized ideals knights of chivalry possess. Even if you could, then Robin hood and his trusty yeomen swing onto the scene and reaffirm the pure goodness of castle. If that isn't enough look to the likes of fantasy and dragons. Few pirates can claim to have battled anything more dangerous than a sea monster.

My first LEGO love was pirates. I soon got into castle and have been hooked since. Though I believe in diversity. i use many pirates in my MOCs . . . as castle slaves. :D

Our threads are highly intelligible! Thank you for contributing to them.

I try. LEGO spammers of the world unite!

Pirates can be versitile but it is LEGO's fault they are not. 

LEGO did produce some degree of versatility within the pirate theme. For example a ship is very different to a fortress! The Indigo Islanders were quite different to the rest of the pirate sets however they probably more closely resemble something from the South Pacific than the Caribbean. The Imperial Armada could have have offered something vastly different but unfortunately it went nowhere.

Still there are plenty more areas LEGO could have took the pirate theme but unfortunately didn't.

Even with imagination Pirates aren't able to achieve the romanticized ideals knights of chivalry possess.

Even if you could, then Robin hood and his trusty yeomen swing onto the scene and reaffirm the pure goodness of castle. 

You aint be readin too much into the genre have yer laddie?

If that isn't enough look to the likes of fantasy and dragons.  Few pirates can claim to have battled anything more dangerous than a sea monster.

There is a high degree of fantasy within the pirate genre! And what do you mean by sea monster? Like a gigantic kraken or sea serpents no less fierce than dragons? In fact there are sea dragons as well! What of mermaids and undine? What of cult religions and practices like Voodoo and hoodoo? What of Ghost ships like the Flying Dutchman? And then we can get into the spiritual believes of the Incas, Aztecs and Mayans... Need I go on?

My first LEGO love was pirates.  I soon got into castle and have been hooked since.  Though I believe in diversity.  i use many pirates in my MOCs . . . as castle slaves. :D

You have lost sight of your true self!

:D

Not to mention that the term PIRATES(and thus the theme!) are a much more specific term than CASTLE. Castle basically includes anything in the Middle Ages - from 500AD-1600AD(Ninja I believe took place in the late 1500's... but I could be totally wrong).

The PIRATES Line only consists of PIRATES, Imperial NAVYMEN to top the Pirates, and any characters on Islands, such as ISLANDERs. It is all supposed to take place in the Carribean. (But like many said, those Islanders are definately not of the Carribean type... Mayans/Azteks would have been 50x better)

Pirates won't meet much inland people, including Inland Native Groups, Colonial Armies, Cossacks, or Revolutionaries. (They of course probably did at times but certainly not all the time.)

If PIRATES was called COLONIAL, or something 1600-1800 ish (Englightment? Gunpowder? I'm not sure what this exact age was called...), than we could include EVERYTHING that I mentioned and more. We could even have a BROTHERS GRIMM line... lol... that'd be kind of cool...

Imagine Napoleonic Lego? It would be just as good as castle, what with Musketeers, Pikemen, Hussars, Dragoons, Cannon carriages, Forts(someones been playing AOE3! :-D ), and of course... PIRATES AND IMPERIAL GUARDS!!

Castle is so much more General than Pirates... if only it weren't.

It comes down to the fact that lego released much more sets and has had much more subthemes for Castle. This adds alot... although a healthy imagination can do anything...

I'm still for Pirates.... I just wish it was expanded or will be sometime in the future.

Imagine Napoleonic Lego? It would be just as good as castle, what with Musketeers, Pikemen, Hussars, Dragoons, Cannon carriages, Forts(someones been playing AOE3!  :-D ), and of course... PIRATES AND IMPERIAL GUARDS!!

You need to get playing Ages of Empires 3 - that's all about the colonisation of the New World.

It comes down to the fact that lego released much more sets and has had much more subthemes for Castle. This adds alot... although a healthy imagination can do anything...

I'm still for Pirates.... I just wish it was expanded or will be sometime in the future.

Amen Brudda! AMEN!!!

Remember it was the Pirates theme and Eldorado Fortress that introduced the CRAP baseplate, later very popular in Castle buildings.

What of mermaids

Mermaids! Why haven't I made any yet? This idea is so obvious I just can't believe I haven't thought of it...

Well, I voted for Pirates, this has been my all-time favourite line, almost since my first contact with Lego bricks. Although Castle is great as well, I remember visiting my friend and having great time playing with his castle Lego. Of course he also came to me and played with my pirates and soldiers... And sometimes we played with both at the same time (but no mixing my bricks with his :) )

I'm sure I've posted a couple of times how I became interested in Pirate LEGO. I could post it again if yer like! I'm too lazy to find the thread you see.

Because castle lovers are friendly and polite and occassionally enjoy looking at sub themes :-D

God Bless,

Nathan

I just put castle ahead...you wouldn't think I would be a castle fan would you! :-D Ultimately Pirate is my 2nd fav theme and the gap between 2nd and the rest is like the premiership... But Castle just has so much more... depth,range,building styles, MOCs,Originality, etc..

God Bless,

Nathan