ScotNick

My first real bricks moc: Austin London Taxicab

Well, here is my first moc built in real bricks: an Austin London Taxicab

17065873481_8bd5a206a0_b.jpg

Austin London Taxicab by ScotNick1, on Flickr

That is the prototype

13006659785_1fd328f3e7_c.jpg

It is based on a 1934 London Taxi Cab made by Austin. I've really liked the dark blue and black livery, so I decided to build the taxi cab in this livery. However there are some design flaws, or let's call them compromises. I intended this car to be in minifig scale, and as I wanted them to enter and leave the taxi comfortably I used my dark blue doors, which made it longer than it's prototype.

The silver horns on the side should imitate the mechanism that lets you fold the back of the car's roof :grin:

So after some information here are some more pictures

16878871348_4205b8d506_c.jpg

17065146422_20ecaa491f_c.jpg

17040629306_631ffa7f4e_c.jpg

16878764648_c8558c9054_c.jpg

17065804531_4b4bc3a001_c.jpg

16880366199_3060db594e_c.jpg

Oh, before I forget it, The roof of the passenger compartment can be taken off and the doors open rather smoothly.

Hope you enjoyed it :classic:

Cheers, Nick

Nice job...especially since its your first MOC in bricks. I really like your wheel arches and use of parts for the mechanism. You have a good idea for the details on the chassis and bumpers too!

Couple of wee shaping/composition suggestions to try an eradicate some of the 'blockiness' of the design...I would lighten the build around the windscreen as the real life as very little framing...try a wind-shield glazed piece that hinges from the bottom so you can remove the heavy 'blue' side supports.

The Black all in one canopy should try to extend back from the wind-shield to the next 1/3 along...in the same shape before you start to show the 'fold down' element/mass.

The front of the car should slope more towards the door and not terminate against a flat plain of blue. Try finishing it with more of an angle as you come to the driver opening.

Hopefully some pointers to maybe think about :) hope to see more :D

Great MOC, I really like the use of the horn pieces as decoration at the back, nice work!

Nice job...especially since its your first MOC in bricks. I really like your wheel arches and use of parts for the mechanism. You have a good idea for the details on the chassis and bumpers too!

Couple of wee shaping/composition suggestions to try an eradicate some of the 'blockiness' of the design...I would lighten the build around the windscreen as the real life as very little framing...try a wind-shield glazed piece that hinges from the bottom so you can remove the heavy 'blue' side supports.

The Black all in one canopy should try to extend back from the wind-shield to the next 1/3 along...in the same shape before you start to show the 'fold down' element/mass.

The front of the car should slope more towards the door and not terminate against a flat plain of blue. Try finishing it with more of an angle as you come to the driver opening.

Hopefully some pointers to maybe think about :) hope to see more :D

Thank you really much, I didn't expect something like that! That is some really constructive criticism telling me how to keep improving my work :blush: That's exactly what I need. I'll look into what I can do, I alread got some ideas for the windshield now :wink:

Nice work 'ScotNick', it's hard to score all the right angles and curves with Lego at times but you have done a great job.

Brick On 'ScotNick' ! :grin:

Don't change a thing. Really.

Here's my logic: I'm not judging it by whether or not it is an accurate depiction of something, but rather on what it is on its own. It may not please an aficionado of the Austin London Taxicab as they would like it to, but in the LEGO world, to me, it just appears as if it was made to be - a very beautiful car. It has character. It's its own.

If need be, make another to modify what you have here. But leave this particular baby alone.

I'd like to try a version of this - if you ever decide to make an instruction available somewhere, please do let me know how to obtain it.

Edited by notaromantic