Sign in to follow this  
Spirit

[MOC] Aliens - Power Loader (more or less)

Loosely based on the Caterpillar P5000 Power Loader from Aliens.

15588955900_cbbc7f3da4_c.jpg

I originally tried to make it much more accurate and thinner, but the legs were attached only to the minifig and were falling easily. And I hate that.

So rather than trying to reproduce the original properly, I only took inspiration from it and made a robust and playable design.

The hinges at the same level as the minifig's hips make it much fatter than the original and now it looks like a Super Deformed version of the original. The minifig's proportions didn't help either. :hmpf_bad:

I may try to find a better solution for that part in the future, but until then I'm happy enough with it.

So, here it is: :)

15589906330_de5f7163ab_c.jpg

15776275462_66f1bf5c30_c.jpg

15751011556_2cbec522a5_c.jpg

15589295728_3c8045d040_c.jpg

And now with the xenomorphs:

15595906960_a8597e468e_c.jpg

15157298253_9acd24238b_c.jpg

15785283651_b2bef0baf2_c.jpg

Edited by Spirit

Well, extrapolating a minifig's dimensions vs a human and then applying that to the Power Loader, I'd say this looks like a pretty nicely done minifig-appropriate design! Really the only thing I think would help the overall look would be to have it a bit thinner front-to-back. I see what you mean at the hips, but with minifigs being super-wide-bodied, the width of your Power Loader seems fine. Regardless, it's a tough thing to design if you're going for accuracy in actual minifig-scale. Nice job! :classic:

Man I always loved that scene. I'd say you have a really good representation here, hard to do things exactly when Lego minifig and human anatomy don't sync up. Anyone who has seen the movie and saw your picture would know exactly what you were building!

I actually like your take better than the original, to me it has a more heavy duty industrial feel to it (if that makes sense). Now your alien queen, That looks awesome.

Thanks all. :)

Added a pic.

@deraven: I even made it bigger than necessary by adding that round "final brick" on the bottom. There's nothing like that on the original design, it just makes it easier to take the PL without touching the more fragile decorations on the sides. But I'm sure there's a way to make it thinner (front/back) with 1x1 bricks with studs on two opposing sides (http://brickset.com/parts/design-47905 ). But I don't have any of those in yellow (and apparently they may not even exist). It's worth keeping it in mind in case they release some though. :)

@Kodan Black: And now it's Sulaco time! :laugh:

Well, it will take some time... A huge lot of time.... And only the bay. :grin:

@ttoole73: I remember the early concept art by Syd Mead was much more massive. This is still tiny in comparison. xD

Also, I'll update the queen's photos in my other thread asap.

@Lazarus: I don't have the plans, and I don't use LDD, but since several people asked me for them, I'll see if someone near me could help with that.

@Kodan Black: And now it's Sulaco time! :laugh:

Well, it will take some time... A huge lot of time.... And only the bay. :grin:

You are either brave or crazy! :grin:

The PowerLoader, was fantastic.

Just thought a little low, but I find it to be in proportion to the minifig.

Congratulations, very good.