Sign in to follow this  
kaiju

SR - June FB1 - LDD] Maiden of the Deep (Captured 4A Bonnie Lass)

The capture of the Bonnie Lass by Montgomery DuLac's Night's Gold was a surprise to many, especially DuLac himself, who had no particular interest in owning the warship, nor the crew for a ship twice the size of his own.

A few days in port, and with repairs to both ships underway, DuLac encountered an old frenemy: Elspeth Harrow. Miss Harrow was in the market for a ship, and so ownership quickly changed hands again.

Now-Captain Harrow immediately set about gathering a crew of her own. She found time to get the ship blessed by a priest of the Lord of Deep Waters, and rechristened the ship Maiden of the Deep. At dusk the next day Harrow set sail with a ship full of battle-ready sailors and marines.

As for DuLac and his crew, well, that many doubloons bought many a drink before they too set sail.

maiden_001.png

maiden_002.png

maiden_003.png

maiden_004.png

maiden_005.png

maiden_006.png

maiden_007.png

maiden_008.png

I tried a few new things on this. The hull design was inspired by Hass Kabal's Jackdaw project over in Pirate MOCs. Not entirely convinced by the sails, but I wanted to get this posted up. I may post the alternate, sail-less version later, possibly with some crew (and a hatch to the lower decks added - the things you only realise you missed after uploading the pics).

The cabin sides are hinged to open outwards, though I've yet to fully furnish the interiors. Not sure how viable this would be as an actual build; the interior is quite hollow and lacking in structural supports because I was lazy and more concerned with the outward appearance.

And I just realised I forgot the rudder... more pics later, it looks.

Edited by kaiju

Very cool ship, I like the shape you've achieved and the gold on the back really pops! :thumbup:

Great ship, loving your sails! :thumbup:

Thanks. I was worried about the sails; trying a different layout left a few gaps.

Very cool ship, I like the shape you've achieved and the gold on the back really pops! :thumbup:

Thank you.

Very nice a powerful looking ship, the technic sails are excellent, and the shape and stern with the gold details are great as well! pirate_wink.gif A couple of pieces of nitpicks I have would be that the bowsprit should be thicker - at least I'm thinking that a thicker one would look a lot better on such a large ship - and that the spanker sail rather clashes in texture with the others, maybe tiling it off would have matched better.

Excellent job overall though!

Very nice a powerful looking ship, the technic sails are excellent, and the shape and stern with the gold details are great as well! pirate_wink.gif A couple of pieces of nitpicks I have would be that the bowsprit should be thicker - at least I'm thinking that a thicker one would look a lot better on such a large ship - and that the spanker sail rather clashes in texture with the others, maybe tiling it off would have matched better.

Excellent job overall though!

Thanks. You're right about the spanker sail; I couldn't work out how to make it with the technic panels so the plate version was an uneasy substitute. As for the bowsprit, I'm not sure if the answer is to make it thicker or extend the length of it. Some of the pictures on google have fairly long looking bowsprits. Maybe both. In any case, both are quite valid observations.

Edited by kaiju

Impressive ship! The colour scheme works great and it truly deserves class 4A. My small nitpicks would be that the curved lines of the hull are not reflected in the shape of the weather deck. Maybe it would look more harmonic if the deck amidships was laying a bit deeper than the fore- and aft castle.

Impressive ship! The colour scheme works great and it truly deserves class 4A. My small nitpicks would be that the curved lines of the hull are not reflected in the shape of the weather deck. Maybe it would look more harmonic if the deck amidships was laying a bit deeper than the fore- and aft castle.

Y'know, I tried the curved(ish) deck but wasn't happy with the results so ended up scrapping it. It's certainly a thing I'll be looking at improving on in the future.

On 15-6-2016 at 1:49 PM, kaiju said:

Y'know, I tried the curved(ish) deck but wasn't happy with the results so ended up scrapping it. It's certainly a thing I'll be looking at improving on in the future.

Sorry for the bump, is it possible to reupload the pictures? Thanks!

5 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Sorry for the bump, is it possible to reupload the pictures? Thanks!

Just as soon as photobucket starts working again for me. OK, that seems to be working for me now.

Edited by kaiju