Sign in to follow this  
KimT

[REVIEW] Star Wars Celebration V Cubedudes

Rate the set  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Price, exclusiveness, coolness and all that in one vote.

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Which is the best design?

• Boba Fett
    • IG-88
    • BossK
    • 4-LOM
    • Dengar
  3. 3. Which of the two Cubedude Exclusive is best

• Clone Wars Edition
    • Bounty Hunter Edition

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Set Name: Bounty Hunter Edition

Theme: Star Wars

Sub-Theme: LEGO Cubedudes

Parts: 496

Price: 75 USD at Celebration V, much more on Briclink and eBay.

Release: Star Wars Celebration V 12th-15th of August 2010

Webpage: Star Wars Celebration

Scanned Instructions

As soon as I saw this one on eBay I knew I had to click "Buy It Now!" and I'm kinda happy I did.

It arrived yesterday and I must say that the seller did a great job at packing it in 2 cardboard boxes with loads of fluffy fillings to keep it from getting smashed.

Only 2000 of these were ever made and I'm the lucky owner of box #1277.

med_gallery_101_23_201591.png

It's the same sticker as used on the San Diego Comic Con Exclusive Cubedudes set.

This time the box is more cool in a dark sense.

I like the black design better than the white Clone Wars Edition box :tongue:

It certainly suits a Bounty Hunter Edition to be packed in a black shiny box :wub:

Let's have a look at the box.

No need for words - just lean back and enjoy.

med_gallery_101_23_688079.pngmed_gallery_101_23_354694.png

med_gallery_101_23_789694.pngmed_gallery_101_23_622760.png

med_gallery_101_23_351529.pngmed_gallery_101_23_474827.png

This time no parts were taken from the Chinese production, but the rest of TLG's factories have all chipped in.

med_gallery_101_23_638372.pngmed_gallery_101_23_191850.png

The manual is a pretty nifty little thing.

Just like the CW-manual, this one has glossy shadow prints of the Cubedudes in the set.

If you need the full manual, then you can find it here

And here's a random shot for your viewing pleasure and to give you a general idea of just how many teeny-weeny parts go into each cubedude.

med_gallery_101_23_981812.png

Now for the "Dudes"

IG88:

med_gallery_101_23_1039506.png

The build was pretty straight-forward. The guns keep sliding to the sides though :hmpf: and the arms are also coming off waaaay too easily. Right now I'm scared of even looking at him, because if I do so, then his arms fall off and the guns point in random directions :sceptic:

med_gallery_101_23_223574.pngmed_gallery_101_23_386582.png

med_gallery_101_23_504829.pngmed_gallery_101_23_702.png

Dengar:

med_gallery_101_23_242867.png

Awesome, I love the brown/white colour-scheme and his head is extremely well designed.

med_gallery_101_23_650844.pngmed_gallery_101_23_402880.png

med_gallery_101_23_240131.pngmed_gallery_101_23_576598.png

BossK:

med_gallery_101_23_880250.png

The head is a super design from Angus :thumbup: but I think he needs a little more yellow - at least when compared to the minifig released by TLG.

med_gallery_101_23_636694.pngmed_gallery_101_23_353416.png

med_gallery_101_23_536060.pngmed_gallery_101_23_125757.png

Boba Fett:

med_gallery_101_23_956742.png

King of the Bounty Hunters :wub: I love the fact that his gun is brick-built.

A great interpretation of Boba Fett. Now all I need is to a copy version to have a Jango Fett next to him.

med_gallery_101_23_522941.pngmed_gallery_101_23_805770.png

med_gallery_101_23_537886.pngmed_gallery_101_23_423678.png

4-LOM:

med_gallery_101_23_913529.png

Freaky guy. One of my favorites in this set. The torso and head are both really well designed :thumbup:

med_gallery_101_23_45104.pngmed_gallery_101_23_446695.png

med_gallery_101_23_486826.pngmed_gallery_101_23_684353.png

Conclusion:

med_gallery_101_23_233105.png

What's not to like about this set? IG88 that's who. The arms and rifles are a pain :sceptic:

But apart from that this is a winner in my opinion. It's much better than the Clone Wars Edition, but that's probalby because baddies are much more fun than the goodies :laugh:

My advice is "Buy this if You ever get the chance - it's a fun build and the techniques and details are really skillfully done. I think I learned a little bit about alternate use of bricks when building these dudes.

Enjoy them, I have :wub:

Thanks for the review KimT. My favourite is Bossk Angus especially did a good job on him and the others too. Your review might just make me buy it...

Edited by Darth Jar Jar

Thanks KimT, the review is making me look on ebay often for good deals. I'm not 100% sure if they are worth the money. My favorite is Boba or IG-88

Thanks for the review, KimT. I'm lovin' the nice, clear pictures of each individual cube dude from all angles. Clever use of the baseplate as the backdrop too. I would like to see some pictures of all the parts though.

I definitely agree with you that this set of cubedudes just looks more fun than the Clone Wars ed., but boy, in my opinion, it's just not worth the price it's fetching on the secondhand market. Ah well - If nothing else, I'd love to get my hands on Boba one of these days.

Thanks for the great review KimT!

They are all very cool but boba has to be my favourite. I would say that they look better than the clone wars ones but there really is not that much in it. :sweet:

I have also taken the plunge and bought both cube dude sets from ebay. I have not decided yet if I should open them though. I have played with the idea of buying the parts from BL so I can then at least get to build them. :laugh:

Thanks for making us want this expensive collector's item, KimT. :tongue:

4-LOM is my favorite by far. I really like the use of the turntable upper part for detail; something TLG never does; but the head of Dengar is really well shaped, too.

Very nice review. Could you be nice enough to provide an inventory for this set?

I suggest you just check out the instructios link provided in the first post and then make your own inventory.

Thanks for this review, KimT. This is easily better than any of the recent Comic Con exclusives! Let's face it, the Clone Wars edition just isn't in the same league as these bad boys :wink: And I agree the black packaging gives it a nicer feel than the white and blue of the Clone Wars set (didn't they stop using that colour combination a few year ago? :wacko:)

I was there on Saturday. I had just enough to get it. I decided not to, however, because I like to play with my Legos. :laugh: I will admit they look great, but Cubedudes aren't my cuppa' tea.

Great review. This one is way more BA than the CW version for obvious reasons :tongue: My favourite one is 4-LOM for sure, then Boba. Ever since LSWII, I've been wanting a 4-LOM fig.

Nice review Kim, I am somewhat torn about cubedudes, but there is no denying the appeal of the Bounty hunters :thumbup: Well done on getting a limited edition collectable.

My favourite one is 4-LOM for sure, then Boba. Ever since LSWII, I've been wanting a 4-LOM fig.

10007%204Lom.JPG

Buy it here.

(sorry if this is a little off topic :blush: )

Edited by Brickdoctor

KimT, thank you for the review. Absolutely fantastic. And providing the link for the instructions is very generous. I wish someone would be generous at some point to post a link to the instructions of the other set (with Yoda, etc) too.

Edited by legolandia

KimT, thank you for the review. Absolutely fantastic. And providing the link for the instructions is very generous. I wish someone would be generous at some point to post a link to the instructions of the other set (with Yoda, etc) too.

Doesn't Brickset have them?

Thanks for the review! I like Boba Fett the most, I will probably build him soon. I definitely won't be buying this from Ebay, I think the prices are way too high.

Somewhat interesting that the Lego powers-that-be wised up and didn't include a parts inventory with these instructions! I've been trolling Bricklink since the Comic Con 2010 guys came out, using the parts list included in those instructions. Unfortunately there isn't an easily downloadable list where I've been able to quickly enter all the parts into Bricklink to pick them up - I've ordered from about three retailers and still need 40 more pieces. The retailers as well aren't to happy with me as I'm ordering pretty much 1 or 2 of each part!

Legolandia, if you're looking for the Comic Con dude instructions (and fortunately parts list) you can find them here:

http://www.brickset.com/miscellaneous/CubeDudes/SDCC10/

I spent a lot of time trying to find these, and really appreciated Brickset posting them. Enjoy!

Great review KimT, thanks for sharing. I must admit these are way better than the CW 'Dudes (except maybe for IG-88). Dengar is my favorite among these bounty hunters. Though I might never get a hold of these cubedudes since I'm not really into collecting them, it's nice to look at them and hopefully there'll be more 'cubies' to come.

Nice review KimT!

My favourite really has to be Dengar. I just love his cheeky smile!

All of them are really well designed and thought out especially 4 LOM how is that circular piece flipped round like that?

Is there much of a difference in the builds of each of them or do they have a pattern do them?

Thanks heaps for the look at these beauties KimT, I just hope they didnt burn a massive hole in your wallet!

Doesn't Brickset have them?

Somewhat interesting that the Lego powers-that-be wised up and didn't include a parts inventory with these instructions! I've been trolling Bricklink since the Comic Con 2010 guys came out, using the parts list included in those instructions. Unfortunately there isn't an easily downloadable list where I've been able to quickly enter all the parts into Bricklink to pick them up - I've ordered from about three retailers and still need 40 more pieces. The retailers as well aren't to happy with me as I'm ordering pretty much 1 or 2 of each part!

Legolandia, if you're looking for the Comic Con dude instructions (and fortunately parts list) you can find them here:

http://www.brickset.com/miscellaneous/CubeDudes/SDCC10/

I spent a lot of time trying to find these, and really appreciated Brickset posting them. Enjoy!

Ah, I wasn't aware they were in there. Thank you very much guys. :thumbup:

Why all this talk about instructions when I've placed a link in the first post that leads to the scans of the same?

Why all this talk about instructions when I've placed a link in the first post that leads to the scans of the same?

He wanted the ones for the SDCC edition.

He wanted the ones for the SDCC edition.

My bad.

HERE you go - the SDCC CW Edition instructions.