Sign in to follow this  
Cherno

My five small Cutters

UPDATE 11-26-2010: See more, newer pictures below!

Greetings, fellow buccaneers.

I recently got gripped by the Lego pirate fever (again, after storing all the sets in the attic as a teenager, some 15 years ago) and decided to build a fleet to play the famous Evil Steve's Pirate Game (ESPG).

I started with some smaller ships, so-called cutters, because they are fairly easy to build and don't need too many parts. In ESPG, every ship has a certain class which determines the damage it can take and the number of cannons it can mount.

The classes are (copied from the ESPG site):

0 - Boat (a canoe, rowboat or sailboat, or longboat)

1 - Cutter

2 - Brig

3 - Regular ship with 1 center section, or wide ship with no center sections.

4 - Regular ship with 2 center sections, or wide ship with 1 center section.

5 - Regular ship with 3 center sections.

6 - Wide ship with 2 center sections.

7 - Wide ship with 3 center sections.

8 - Wide ship with 4 center sections.

Players will start with a Class 2 Ship (Brigs, of which I have only one built so far; think of the brilliantly designed merchant vessel that is inluded in the Imperial Outpost Set). The smaller Class 1 Ships (Cutters) will be used as cheap Mission-Runners and maybe attack vessels if they can swarm the enemy.

I have built five Class 1 Cutters so far. All five where made from parts a had in my big pile of Lego parts, so I didn't have to buy any special parts. From a design standpoint, I had three goals in mind:

1. An overall rugged construction, so that the ship doesn't break in half when handled roughly while in the heat of battle

2. A color scheme which sets the ship apart from others in it's class and makes it easily identifiably on the wide, blue "carpet ocean" ;)

3. A certain eyecatcher at the ship's bow, so that the stern section (which, of course, is always bigger, higher and has an overall more complex construction than the rest of the ship) doesn't dominate the whole vessel from a viewing standpoint.

That being that, I present you my five custom-built little Cutters. Note that I currently don't have any special masts, so I had to made due with substitutes, and three of the cutters have no rudder and flag. Also, cannons of any sort are missing. I will probably add those once I have constructed enough, as the proper Lego pirate cannons look far too big on these smallish ships, even though they can only mount 1 per their class. A big "thank you!" goes out to Evil Willy for his "Making Sails" tutorial. Bigger pictures are available by clicking on the photos.

1. The "Stinger"

This is the first cutter I built. The hull is constructed from white parts of a jetliner fuselage (a very old Lego set, most likely from around 1990). The Color white is very prominent here, with black for the deck, masts and railing. It is one of the two smaller cutters I constructed, being relatively short and with a low deck and stern. The "bow gimmick" here are two lance-like ramming devices pointing to the Stinger's front. I'm not sure which function these would have, but I thought they looked cool.

stinger_1bhn6b.jpg stinger_2bu6sb.jpg

stinger_4b26ll.jpg stinger_3bc6z7.jpg

2. The "Golden Crown"

A majestic name for a majestic ship. The "Golden Crown" is longer and higher than the "Stinger", partially due to it's two-level deck.The yellow elements and especially the ornamental railings invoke a feeling of certain royalty. To the ship's front are two black outward-facing handles acting as a special kind of railing as well as two small yellow torches. A perfect luxury vessel for the governour's spoiled son Sir Eric la Douche, seen standing on the ship's stern with a goblet of fine french wine in his hand. Pity the captain of the Admiral's Guard who has to keep a watchful eye on that brat.

crown_7b5u6g.jpg crown_2byuuq.jpg

crown_5bjpg2uof.jpg crown_6bxnvb.jpg

3. The "Bloody Sabre"

A sleek, agressive-looking raider of the crimson seas. Because it has four portholes on each sides, the "Bloody Sabre" looks very long for a ship of it's class, even though it's only one stud longer than the "Golden Crown". The cutter's name derives from two stern-mounted sabres pointing upwards (you can't ever have enough sabres!). The stern also has two tall torches acting as a kind of deterrent to would-be buccaneers trying to attack this fearsome ship at night. I plan on mounting two forward-facing sabres on the ship's bow, where at the moment only two "devil's horns" feature somewhat prominently.

sabre_3bu5lv.jpg sabre_1bxn3s.jpg

sabre_2bjnkl.jpg

4. The "Swansong"

This ship's long, flowing lines and the purity of it's color scheme (everything apart from the masts, the railing and the decks, as with the "Stinger", is white) reminded me of a mystic ship commandeered by benevolent spirits of long forgotten seafarers. Anyway, the "Stinger"'s bigger brother is the longest cutter I have built thus far; The triple-piece bow adds another three studs over the "Bloody Sabre"'s 21. Mounted on the stern is a rearward-facing, hinged flagpole which makes the "Swansong" even longer. I am a little perplexed about the bow, though; two torches are mounted dangerously close to the ship's main sail! I sure hope they brought the fireproof canvas from Port Brick...

swan_2_bf5kv.jpg swan_1bz65v.jpg

5. The "Dolphin"

Similar in size to the "Stinger", I only chose the somewhat uncreative name "Dolphin" because "Little Blue Ship" sounded even worse. The "Dolphin is the weakest design I have come up with thus far, partly because blue just isn't the nicest color to have for a ship. Also, it isn't really gimmicky; a (unsurprisingly blue) ladder is hung from either side below the sterncastle, and to the front we have a weird, blocky piece from who-knows-which-set. Overall, I think the design is acceptable if it weren't for the dominant blue. I might rebuilt the "Dolphin" (which of course would need a new name, then) in another, more pleasant color.

dolhpin_1b2uqt.jpg dolphin_2b65x2.jpg

My Cutter Fleet

fleet_2bzgep.jpg fleet_1b1nav.jpg

So this concludes my latest building session. Please feel free to post your comments.

Happy pirating,

Robert

Edited by Cherno

Looks like a nice small fleet suited for it's purpose.

I'm also having the impressions people are starting to talk more again about Evil Stevie's Pirate game lately. Am I alone in this?

Welcome to the forum, what a great first post.

I really like your collection of clippers, for some reason they remind me of Jack Sparrows boat that he gracefully rides in at sinking speeds to the dock.

Great work, and welcome.

Thank you all for the kind words. I will be adding some bigger ships in the near future.

Oh, and sorry about the mediocre picture quality. I saw that thread about making better photos one day too late :pir-hmpf:

Edited by Cherno

Thank you all for the kind words. I will be adding some bigger ships in the near future.

Oh, and sorry about the mediocre picture quality. I saw that thread about making better photos one day too late :pir-hmpf:

No problem, they are pretty good, I wouldn't worry about it.

can ya sell me the dolphin for $10?

including full parts and instructions?

i am in Butuan City, Philippines 8600

:pir-sceptic: Did he say they were for sale?

The ships are not for sale, sorry. I might post some better pictures showing a detailed construction analysis in the future, though. Currently the "Dolphin" isn't my fleet's ugly duckling anymore, as I changed the black bricks with white, and it's looking a lot better now!

As a side note, my fleet has been expanded massively, with one additional clipper, six Brigs based on the Imperial Trading Post's ship/boat and no less than ten bigger ships of different sizes. I am currently making sails for them all. Stay tuned for loads of picture soon :)

My fleet has been expanded massively, with one additional clipper, six Brigs based on the Imperial Trading Post's ship/boat and no less than ten bigger ships of different sizes. I am currently making sails for them all. Stay tuned for loads of picture soon :)

I can't wait!

ok.

by the way can ya tell me how to make it?

it kind'a looks cute

look at mine (inspired by yours

*update:

this is jmp_smarty's backup account

post-14291-129016510139.jpg

ok.

by the way can ya tell me how to make it?

it kind'a looks cute

look at mine (inspired by yours

*update:

I reconstructed the Dolphin with Lego Digital Designer, here is the model file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/431812376/cutter_1_dolphin.lxf

Note that it already has the changed color scheme i talked about earlier in this thread (white instead of black), and i designed new masts which are closer to the original Imperial Trading Post Brig's mast. Also, since i couldn't find three parts at the ship's bow, here are the part numbers that are missing from the model in the LDD file:

6104 Wing 8 x 8 with 3 x 4 Cutout

4276b Hinge Plate 1 x 2 with 2 Fingers and Hollow Studs

4319 Hinge Bar 8 with Split Bar Holder (new mast, differs from the photos in this thread)

Have fun and feel free to ask any questions!

Thanks Cherno.

Though how did ya get the sails?

mine is just a lego sail.

btw thanks.

well at least i have the only cutter with a rope running the full length of the ship...

post-14291-129017359909.jpg

post-14291-129017401495.jpg

*update:

Oh yes, we chambered the last account by mistake so there's no reason why we'd mind you creating another. :pir-hmpf: Ooops, looks like it's going to happen again.

Thanks Cherno.

Though how did ya get the sails?

mine is just a lego sail.

btw thanks.

well at least i have the only cutter with a rope running the full length of the ship...

Oh yes, we chambered the last account by mistake so there's no reason why we'd mind you creating another. :pir-hmpf: Ooops, looks like it's going to happen again.

Even though i don't know what's going on, i'll just answer the question regardless.

The sails you can see on the pictures are just cut out from fabric after measuring the required size. As of now, however, i use self-made copies of the small sails from the ITP Brig and Raft Raiders set. That also means i don't have to use as much fiddly string as the sails are designed to go straight over the (cross)masts.

Update:

In the last few weeks, i managed to build and complete my fleet of cutters and brigs. The sails are all custom-made.

Standing on my cupboard are several larger ships which still need sails, so that will take another week or two until they're ready for the high seas. Stay tuned for more updates soon(ish).

Edit: Almost forgot, special thanks go out to Matteo1130 for his Simple cannon design and, of course, Evil Willy for his Tutorial on making sails.

Arrr!

stinger_1hpfu.jpg

stinger_2bq0v.jpg

stinger_34ql6.jpg

dolphin_1xyxf.jpg

dolphin_2pyf3.jpg

dolphin_33zze.jpg

sabre_1fpk0.jpg

sabre_2fp89.jpg

sabre_3at9p.jpg

crown_1895n.jpg

crown_2ky12.jpg

crown_3xb96.jpg

swan_14to8.jpg

swan_2dsp0.jpg

swan_3yp9p.jpg

skull_1kreh.jpg

skull_2zolg.jpg

skull_3spe6.jpg

cutter_fleet_19al5.jpg

cutter_fleet_2dl6q.jpg

imp_1yage.jpg

imp_22987.jpg

imp_3tb0i.jpg

cutlass_1vap6.jpg

cutlass_2xafw.jpg

cutlass_3ox2t.jpg

bone_1uz82.jpg

bone_2uyon.jpg

bone_3vze8.jpg

whale_1hpp4.jpg

whale_20qmy.jpg

whale_3atwz.jpg

majestic_16rpi.jpg

majestic_2yotp.jpg

majestic_3tsle.jpg

brig_fleet_1tboz.jpg

brig_fleet_2792r.jpg

Bonus picture: KRAKEN ATTACK! ("It just wants to play...!")

krakenzxku.jpg

Edited by Cherno

Wow, that's pretty cool (and cute). That actually inspires me to build my own fleet, although all imperial.

Looks like a nice small fleet suited for it's purpose.

I'm also having the impressions people are starting to talk more again about Evil Stevie's Pirate game lately. Am I alone in this?

Yes i've noticed that too.

That a nice fleet you have there, Personnaly I find the ESPG too complicated to play, I believe someone around here made an easier version where he used a grid so it's less complicated to move around ships