Emperor Claudius Rome

Romans or Greeks/Spartans

Romans or Greeks?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Romans or Greeks?

• Romans
    • Greeks/Spartans

A lot of people feel different ways about which anceint theme lego should produce. Some people want a Greek/Spartan theme because they want mythical creatures and persians (Persians are not likely do to Iran lashing out on 300 because it inacurately portrays the persians, think of what would happen to lego). Some people want a Romans for the military features (I.e, centurys, bearers, Battering rams, Acurate balista :wub: )

Which would you want?

Me, i would prefere a romans for the following reasons:

1. Romans would have a better chance of being parred against other humans, Like generic barbarians (Lego could get a chance to reuse those old viking helmets)

2. Gladiators :wub: (Maybe even a gladiatris :devil: )

3. A laurel piece (I know theres a chance we could get it in a greek theme, but a laurel is more likely to apear an an emperor fig)

4. A standard, complete with a golden eagle (May also be useful for napoleonic fans)

5. Romans seems too roll of the tounge better.

6. And last but not least, this is more for my own gain. A chance to make my Good friday vig i've been dreaming about.

So, which do you want? The mighty, myth fighting Greeks, Or the world conquering romans.

The Romans EASILY have more material to work with. Rome, naval battles, barbarian villages, border towns, Gladiators, elephants, and the potential to be allowed to bring legos to Latin class.

Romans, for pretty much all of the reasons already mentioned.

Welcome to EB, BTW.

A Greek theme would be very cool, but a Roman theme even better. It would be easiest to make for Lego. Plus, it has a great potential. Some accurate models and minifigs would be superb :thumbup: . And just imagine how amazing it would look to build an entire army of Romans decked out in full armor and weapons, than have an army of Greeks with togas and scrolls-lame! Go Romans! :thumbup::cry_happy::thumbup:

A Greek theme would be very cool, but a Roman theme even better. It would be easiest to make for Lego. Plus, it has a great potential. Some accurate models and minifigs would be superb :thumbup: . And just imagine how amazing it would look to build an entire army of Romans decked out in full armor and weapons, than have an army of Greeks with togas and scrolls-lame! Go Romans! :thumbup::cry_happy::thumbup:

Sorry to be an acuracy mole, but togas were roman, but i don't want a bunch of People who would rather read poetry than watch a bunch of slaves kill each other.

Edited by Emperor claduis rome

Sorry to ba an acuracy mole, but togas were roman, but i don't want a bunch of People who would rather read poetry than watch a bunch of slaves kill each other.

1: Thank you for fixing my error. Sorry about that. :hmpf_bad:

2: I completely agree on the last part about the poetry and slaves.

romans win becuase of there military steeped tradition. who wouldnt want the chance to own there own roman legion? ive debated spending $70 on brickforge to do this that.

I'd rather have a Greek theme.

That way, they could delve into the rich mythology of the Greeks.

Imagine...

Hercules vs The Hydra

Odysseus vs The Sirens

Perseus vs Medusa

It'd be like the Vikings theme. Epic battles between man and beast. Then we could also have epic man vs man battles. The battle at Troy anyone?

I'd would much rather a theme where fantasy is involved. That way, the imagination of children can soar. :)

Remember, the vikings was an "Epic fail".

Asking this might seem like asking beetween a sailors or a pirate theme. Rape and plunder all the way!

The greeks were a lot less cruel than the Bad inaccuracy filled movie 300 portayed. Also, i don't think most kids know what the Trojan war was. They know about romans fighting barbaric invaders. Thanks to books like How to speak Dragonese (Only exeption was they Babarians were vikings but you get the idea)

oh come on, roman for castle theme .... please TLG to release it. Look at playmobil site, they already released it and very good looking.

my name is gladiator, and I will be big fan of roman theme :tongue:

I've added a poll for you.

If LEGO picked released a theme based on ancient Greece, it would probably have lots of mystical beasts for the heroes to fight, similar to the Viking theme. I would love a line based on the war between Athens and Sparta though.

1. Romans would have a better chance of being parred against other humans, Like generic barbarians (Lego could get a chance to reuse those old viking helmets)

And Greeks couldnt? Didnt they fight against barbarians, other Greeks and Persians?

Existed in Greece as well ;)

5. Romans seems too roll of the tounge better.

No Comment

I wouldnt mind either one. Im a huge fan of Roman and Greek mythology so I'd like both. I think that both choices have interesting soldiers, weapons , and buildings....

Edited by gogobig

Any classical civilization would do for me to be honest, both would have merit. But to pick one I would choose Rome, because this might have less of a mythical edge to it. I think if Lego did make a theme like this, they might go for Greece because this would allow Human vs. Monster, and it seems like this storyline is preferred by thier marketing departments.

I saw astrix last week for the first time ever. Seemed inaccurate, but it gave me the idea about using the viking helmets barbarians

Astrix is great, but not accurate! But the 'horned helmet', for Late Iron Age 'barbarians' has more of semblance of accuracy than for 'Vikings'.

The greeks were a lot less cruel than the Bad inaccuracy filled movie 300 portayed.

At the end of the day 300 is a film, a good one, but had to tick the right boxes to ensure success. Neither side was protrayed in a positive way. All classical civilizations were built upon slave ownership and cruelty. No mention is made of the role of Athens in antagonising Darius which led to the first war, nor of the Persians general belief that they were fighting against 'the Lie', and upholding 'the Truth'. Both sides were cruel, with Sparta oppressing the indigenous population as Helot slaves, who were often hunted for pleasure by an aristocratic elite with paedophiliac tendencies, whilst the barbarity of Xerxes is emphasised.

And Greeks couldnt? Didnt they fight against barbarians, other Greeks and Persians?

Existed in Greece as well ;)

First of all, Greeks mostly fought Eastern warriors, and the concept of them fighting persians would cause iranian government to do something severe (They might sue lego, or they might nuke billund)

Secondly, no there wasn't gladiators in ancient greece. You might be confused with the olympics. But the olympics were an event were greek men competed in games with other greek men in the nude, and gladiatoring was battle between slaves, POW's and criminals, TO THE DEATH!!! :devil:

I think a Greek theme would be great! Roman as well of course but I think a Greek mythology theme would be easier and better in LEGO.

Firstly, there is already a lot of fun, exciting and interesting stories that can be transformed into sets. Like the Odyssey, the story of Heracles, Theseus and Ariadne.

Secondly, you wouldn't have the problem of picturing a society build on conquest. I see a lot of ethical problems with LEGO sets showing a "great, civilized" empire conquering a "barbarian" tribe's land. :hmpf_bad:

Thirdly, I think kids in common is more familiar with the mythology of ancient Greece than the history of the Roman Empire. Now, this is just what I think and I could be wrong. Maybe the Romans is more famous in the countries that actually was under their rule. But anyway, I think it's easier for kids to understand and embrace the mythological world thanks to the stories.

But I will be happy whatever historical theme it might be. I just think Greek is more likely :sweet:

Romans, definatly!

Their culture is about the same as the Greek culture, and also the Spartans waged war a lot, but the Romans occupied so much territory and had more great buildings so that LEGO would have more choiche in choosing their sets.

This is a difficult one. Playmobil already released a Romans theme, and that theme has some great set ideas. But I really would like to see some Greek sets. Not with fantasy, and then it will be difficult for the fantasy-loving LEGO company to create a whole Greek theme.

I think it's better to release a small theme of few well designed sets than a big theme with lots of poorly designed sets. If they release a well-designed trireme, I would certainly buy it, even if there's no other Greek set but a whole Roman theme.

I voted Greeks/Spartans.

Edited by Richie

In the end, it doesn't matter i Suppose.

The Roman or greek is almost the same as the roman stole the greek culture.

I love the see a phalanx though, or Alexander the great who conquered even persia (even the romans didn't succeeded in that)

On the other hand, The roman could fight Hannibal and his Elephants.

Actually, it doesn't matter to me, as long as it is historical correct.