Dwarf King

Your first Castle theme set?

Hey all - I've been a lurker for a while now and just actually started collecting today when my wonderful girlfriend surprised me with the Dwarf Mine Defender set. I must say that building it and playing around with it was the most fun I've had with my toy hobby in forever. I think the Dwarves are like the coolest LEGO faction too. I fully intend on getting the Mine next as well as more Defenders in the future.

So I'm sure I brought out some nostalgic memories from you LEGO vets.

Share memories from your first Castle set!

Thanks,

DK

Hello Dwarf King, welcome to the hobby and to Eurobricks. :classic:

I think my first castle set would be 6009: Black Knight.

6009-1.jpg

My older brother already had some sets that I would play with, but I believe this was the first one that was actually mine. I have some very fond memories of this set.

Welcome!

I'm fairly sure we've done this topic, but it's a nice one for new members, and I don't think I answered it either.

So, the year was 1984.

6080-1.1121307870.thumb2.jpg VS 6073-1.1155814028.thumb2.jpg

It was a damn fine year. :thumbup:

I started collectingCastle theme on 2007.

My 1st Castle theme set is:-

7009 Final Joust

7090 Crossbow Attack

I bought both of them together. :tongue:

2007 is a fine year as Castle theme being facing dark ages for years :laugh:

Edited by baby

Welcome to EB!

My first Castle set was 6082 Fire Breathing Fortress, a great set!

6082-1.1105158266.thumb2.jpg

I wish I had that one... :cry_sad: It looks like such a great set, and it has printed dragon patterns! :oh:

Hmmm, I really couldn't say! :tongue: Lion Knights one from 2000, I can't remember the number, and I got the Bull Siege Weapons set as well. They were great fun, I used to always have little battles with them. I have since bought earlier castle sets, but that was my first one, and I loved it! Of course, I love all my castle sets, but that's not the point! :grin:

KK1. My first set was Weevil's Cart, tiny but cool. I got 4 copies of this set, it was nice. It's sad that no one can appreciate the KK1 for what it was: a nice, often mislooked castle theme.

I got into the Castle sets in late 2007. My first set was 7093, The Skeleton Tower. Oh, how I still love the red dragon that came with that set.

4817-1.jpg

This was my first castle set. Maybe it was the novelty, maybe it was the treasure chest, and maybe it was just the way 6-year-olds love shiny things, but must have been my favorite set at the time.

Welcome to EB!

So, the year was 1984.

6080-1.1121307870.thumb2.jpg VS 6073-1.1155814028.thumb2.jpg

It was a damn fine year. :thumbup:

Wow, I'm surprised they released two large castles in one year! Why don't they do that anymore? :cry_sad:

Faramir

Edited by Faramir

My first Castle theme set was 7093 Skeleton Tower. I got it in April of this year. I bought it because I have a plan for some of the parts but I actually have it together and displayed currently. :classic:

Well, my fist '07 Castle themed set was (or rather, were, as like baby I got them at the same time)

7090 Crossbow Attack, 7009 The Final Joust, and 7091 Knight's Catapult Defence.

However, my very first Castle was 6090 Royal Knight's Castle, a truly magnificent set! :cry_happy:

~Peace

Edited by iamded

Wow, I'm surprised they released two large castles in one year! Why don't they do that anymore? :cry_sad:

In modern terms, these are roughly equivalent to the current large castle and skeleton tower sets, though I'll admit that those are a bad comparison.

At the time, it seemed only natural to have at least two factions with a full castle each. LEGO insinuated that the Black Falcons were the bad guys by giving them the smaller castle and the black colour scheme, but it was still a nice castle and left up to you to decide who was on which side. Then the forestmen popped up and again, they didn't really force them to be good or bad. Heck, I always had them attack both sides in daring night raids.

Why don't they do this now? For one thing, they are avoiding human vs human conflict in castle. For another, they seem to feel that children need more guidance now, so they tell them "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys, these new guys have the same colours as the good guys so they're good, these new bad guys attack the new good guys" and so it goes.

The current line is a drastic improvement over anything else this decade, but they still need to loosen it up a bit before they get back to the old days completely. Still, I'm happy with dwarves and trolls and such, and I'll be even more happy if we really do see some elves added.

My first Castle set is 6086, Black Knight Castle.

6086-1.jpg

An excellent set for any Black Knights collectors. In fact, this castle is very fun to play with. I am happy to own this as my first Castle set. :blush:

If you pardon me for cutting in, ladies and gentlemen.... ) 2a8168d4dcf2332c6776d8d513196149.gif

Why don't they do this now? For one thing, they are avoiding human vs human conflict in castle.

Well, that is true for current theme, but I guess that Knight's Kingdom and themes before were clearly based on human vs human conflict....

True that in good ol' Castle fractions were not so clearly dividet to bad and good guys.... I think it all started in 1997 with Fright Nigst, that were clearly meanies.... ) :sweet:

For another, they seem to feel that children need more guidance now, so they tell them "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys, these new guys have the same colours as the good guys so they're good, these new bad guys attack the new good guys" and so it goes.

But I guess that it's not that bad after all. It's easier for kids that way, and more interestiong for us, AFOLs, to make alternative versions.... ) :classic:

The current line is a drastic improvement over anything else this decade, but they still need to loosen it up a bit before they get back to the old days completely. Still, I'm happy with dwarves and trolls and such, and I'll be even more happy if we really do see some elves added.

Could you please specify what do you mean by "to loosen it up a bit", Imperialshadows, please? I didn't really get the idea.... You mean to make the fractions more neutral? ) :sweet:

Thanks and sorry for interrupting.... ) 2a8168d4dcf2332c6776d8d513196149.gif

P.S.

My first Lego Castle set is:

6020-1.jpg

Good day, gentlemen! ) :sweet:

I kid you not, it was this one from 1981 (sigh):

6077-2.jpg

But I was still a Spacer until I saw this years later:

6066-1.jpg

And this one sealed the deal one year after that:

6077-1.jpg

Awesome!

I honestly struggle to remember what my first castle set was as it was rather a long time ago. From what I remember it was either 6103 Castle Mini Figures or maybe 6049 Viking Voyager

Could you please specify what do you mean by "to loosen it up a bit", Imperialshadows, please? I didn't really get the idea.... You mean to make the fractions more neutral? ) :sweet:

That's pretty much what I mean. I think kids grow up to be more creative when they make up their own stories, and that's easier if you don't pre-define who is good and who is bad.

The low point of that was we had all those specific knights in crazy coloured armour showing up in set after set. The current line is definitely an improvement on that, I just wish it was possible to represent 2 factions that aren't so clearly defined.

It's a minor rant, and certainly shouldn't detract from the improvements of the current line, which I am thrilled with.

6066-1.jpg

I still love that set. I really need to rebuild it after all these years. :wub:

That's pretty much what I mean. I think kids grow up to be more creative when they make up their own stories, and that's easier if you don't pre-define who is good and who is bad.

The low point of that was we had all those specific knights in crazy coloured armour showing up in set after set. The current line is definitely an improvement on that, I just wish it was possible to represent 2 factions that aren't so clearly defined.

It's a minor rant, and certainly shouldn't detract from the improvements of the current line, which I am thrilled with.

I see.... And I 100% agree with you! Indeed, say, the dwarves could have been made a race not so closely linked to the Kingdom. )

I hope that the elves will be some kind of new age forestmen: typically neutral army.

Yes, we have Western Kingdom, Eastern Kingdom, now we need only Nothern and Southern! )))) :tongue:

Thanks for answering! ) 2a8168d4dcf2332c6776d8d513196149.gif

Good day, gentlemen! ) :sweet:

My first Castle set was also this one:

6009-1.jpg

Before this, I'd inherited a boat load of castle mini figs and parts (wall sections and weapons and such) from an older cousin, so I was well into castle long before I actually got round to buying my first set. It kind of snowballed from there :D

We were always strapped for cash when we were kids, so I used to try and recreate all the sets I wanted but could never afford. Ah, halcyon days :)

I wish I had that one... :cry_sad: It looks like such a great set, and it has printed dragon patterns! :oh:

Hmmm, I really couldn't say! :tongue: Lion Knights one from 2000, I can't remember the number, and I got the Bull Siege Weapons set as well. They were great fun, I used to always have little battles with them. I have since bought earlier castle sets, but that was my first one, and I loved it! Of course, I love all my castle sets, but that's not the point! :grin:

The Dragon pattens aren't really that useful if you're creating anything other than a DM castle...

The true feature of the set is the Dragon head...

Strangely enough, you get a Wolfpack figure with the Fire-Breathing Fortress...

Hmmm...first set?

Crossbow attack from 2007.

Vikings included?

Viking challenges Fenris Wolf.

The Dragon pattens aren't really that useful if you're creating anything other than a DM castle...

The true feature of the set is the Dragon head...

Strangely enough, you get a Wolfpack figure with the Fire-Breathing Fortress...

Well, it would be good for a dragon worshipping temple. Or a city from the Dragon Masters Kingdom. Or a castle such as Dragons Keep. Or perhaps even one of my dream builds, a special city populated by dragons! :wub: You know humans aren't the only people that build things. :wink:

I'm sure I could come up with some uses for it. :laugh:

I kid you not, it was this one from 1981 (sigh):

And this one sealed the deal one year after that:

Awesome!

Im the same as Tacitus, my first set was

6077-2.jpg

Though i wish i had have collected Forestmen back then!

This is my first ever set. Wolfpack renegades, i really love it because it has many weapons and a treasure chest and a horse. My dad bought it at Legoland windsor in the UK when I was about 4, it was my first trip to Legoland :cry_happy: I didn't know he had bought it and then the next day after the trip it was on my bed. He still won't say that he bought it but im pretty sure he did :look:

6038-1.jpg

Edited by Skipper 24