Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #138: Fade To Black

5VcIe87.png

Many Moons Ago...

The creature awakes in pain. He opens his eyes, and sees a foreboding sight...

kao6JKq.png

His hand, chained to a pillar. He whips his head around, and sees that his other hand, and indeed all of his limbs, were chained down. He struggles, the chains budging, but not breaking. The ground beneath him rumbles and quakes, the tremors filling the trapped beast with dread. The urgency sets in, and the creature struggles more. It tries to gnaw through its binds, but it was to no avail. It tries to stand up, but feels shooting pain through his back as he draws to full height - a sword was lodged in his back. With the catacombs sinking around him, death looming, a single syllable escapes from the dragon's mouth...

"FAUST."

Present Day...

Five heroes exit the hall, the afternoon sun dangling above the group. As per the instructions of their regal client, they head towards the docks, the smell of brine and fish drifting through the air. Careful to avoid confrontation with some of Eubric's seedier citziens, they make their way through the bustling city, eventually finding their client: Faust, king of Moone.

pOzrhRZ.png

7YdqKPh.png

"You're here." says Sandman, checking to make sure his handcannon was loaded.

3Nvylnk.png

"And not a second too soon. You're all here, yes?" The king casts a discerning glance towards the group of five, waiting for them to confirm they were there. Those five heroes were...

The Party:

skrall.jpg

Skrall (Waterbrickdown)

81 year old Male Ogre Hunter

lindwhispererv.jpg

Flynn Flisperer, Lind Whisperer, The Grey Foxer (Lind Whisperer)

21-year-old elf

8878153168_75444a509d_t.jpg

Karie Alderflask-Cour, A True Hero (Kintobor)

24? Year Old Human Female Witch

3115F468-B66C-4A75-AFDE-6F4965288ECA_zps6r5hllhh.jpg

Warlen Melimane, Eulalia's Knight (The Chosen Minifigure)

23 year old male half-elf Mystic Knight

catava-knight.jpg

Jinnipher Buchaire (JimBee)

76-year-old female Moon Elven Knight

QM Note: Welcome to Fade To Black! As always, you folks have 24 hours to confirm. I'll post the hero stats when all of you do your shopping at the marketplace.

Edited by Endgame

OoC: Looks great, and I'm looking forward to questing with everyone!

I need to finish rebuilding my fig, and do some RP in the Hall - "...Since when did I sign up for fighting a dragon...?" :laugh: - but I can't wait to get started! :sweet:

OoC: Sorry I can't get my updated character picture uploaded - the camera's batteries don't have enough juice. When Lind is done in the Hall, he'll be dressed like this:

973pb1362c01.jpg

The second torso print, with the arms flipped around so they are properly oriented.

And, finally, he's carrying the same two 1x1 colored tiles for "cards"

EDIT: Arrg - it keeps deleting the Bricklink pics...Basically, that torso, 2013 CIty Police pants(dark blue pants with some straps and buckles), Luke Skywalker 2013 MF head, with visor flipped around so not visible, and he's still wearing the elf hat+ears.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

OOC: Karie hasn't bought anything. Thanks for having me for the gazillionth time. :laugh:

Karie makes her way to the docks,

, not realizing until it was too late how ironic it was.

"So you're King Faust? Can't say I've met royalty before. Name's Karie. Oh, and the sheep's Baaffy." She nods to the Sandman, but doesn't say anything.

"First... again... Am I early, or is everyone else late?" She asks, looking somewhat cheeky.

QM Note: You can RP without a new character avatar, Lind. :tongue:

Sandman whistles the next few bars. Perhaps he was more musically inclined than one would think?

7YdqKPh.png

"I'm afraid that I do not specialize in bringing people dreams, Ms..."

Sandman checks the sheet of names he was provided.

"Alderflask-Cour."

3Nvylnk.png

"Charmed. Though I hope you have other animals besides the sheep.

I suspect the latter. Is no one in this city timely?"

Edited by Endgame

QM Note: You can RP without a new character avatar, Lind. :tongue:

OoC: I had a bit of RP in mind, but the Hall was empty...

7YdqKPh.png

"Alderflask-Cour."

A somewhat ruffled figure hurried his way down the harbor, strapping on belts and snapping buckles.

"Great job, Lind, just great. First, you sign up for a place you've barely even heard of, let alone studied - I knew Moone would be a better choice for studying but no-oo, Dad, sure I think that Advanced Cattle Grooming is more worthy - then you're late to the docks so that everyone's there - and, no, only the Witch is here, okay, we could be worse off - Speaking of everyone else, exactly who's leading this thing? - I seriously hope it's just a few next-to-nameless lackeys here to greet us, arriving this is not the way to make a good appearance in front of your employers-"

The Munchkin saw the King. (And recognized him, because "Munchkin Knowlege".)

"Oh, fu...dge."

3Nvylnk.png

The Munchkin dropped to one knee and bowed his head as deeply as possible. "My liege - Sir King - it is an-an honor to meet you."

The Munchkin saw the King.

"Oh, fu...dge."

The Munchkin dropped to one knee and bowed his head as deeply as possible. "My liege - Sir King - it is an-an honor to meet you."

The king looks at Lind with disdain.

3Nvylnk.png

"Oh. You. I thought we blacklisted this delinquent, Sandman."

7YdqKPh.png

"Assasins are very useful."

3Nvylnk.png

"Yes. But this one put on a false accent, did perhaps the most racist interpration of my people I've ever seen, then had the gall to try to get payment before even picking up a blade!"

7YdqKPh.png

"Was he drunk, sir?"

3Nvylnk.png

"Immeasurably, I believe."

7YdqKPh.png

"Then I will keep my sights on him, sir, to prevent another transgression."

Sandman raises the barrel of his handcannon. The craftsmanship was impeccable, which usually meant one shot from the weapon would be enough to spell doom.

"And I'm not referring to my eyes."

Edited by Endgame

The king looks at Lind with disdain.

3Nvylnk.png[/i]

"Oh. You. I thought we blacklisted this delinquent, Sandman."

"...Have we met?"

7YdqKPh.png

"Assasins are very useful."

3Nvylnk.png

"Yes. But this one put on a false accent, did perhaps the most racist interpration of my people I've ever seen...

"That doesn't sound like me..."

3Nvylnk.png

...then had the gall to try to get payment before even picking up a blade!"

"...Yeah, now that sounds like me."

7YdqKPh.png

"Was he drunk, sir?"

3Nvylnk.png

"Immeasurably, I believe."

"A king's wisdom is...wise."

7YdqKPh.png

"Then I will keep my sights on him, sir, to prevent another transgression."

Sandman raises the barrel of his handcannon. The craftsmanship was impeccable, which usually meant one shot from the weapon would be enough to spell doom.

"And I'm not referring to my eyes."

"I...am just going to stand over here, and enjoy the view across the water, since that's a very big gun, and people with very big guns often have very small...and are generally rather touchy about it, and hairtrigger, is the point, so...yeah, I'm just going to enjoy this view, over here, from behind the sheep."

7YdqKPh.png

"Do not make this journey more difficult than it has to be. You are speaking to a leader of an entire country and man with a ranged weapon currently pointed at you. Consider your next words carefully. Or perhaps, don't say anything at all."

7YdqKPh.png

"Do not make this journey more difficult than it has to be. You are speaking to a leader of an entire country and man with a ranged weapon currently pointed at you. Consider your next words carefully. Or perhaps, don't say anything at all."

Lind...nodded meekly.

Sandman whistles the next few bars. Perhaps he was more musically inclined than one would think?

7YdqKPh.png

"I'm afraid that I do not specialize in bringing people dreams, Ms..."

"Alderflask-Cour."

3Nvylnk.png

"Then why do they call you the "Sandman"? Let me take an educated guess... you bring people nightmares?" She asks, sounding curious. She looks at Faust after his remark at her sheep.

"This thing has taken on sea monsters and lived to tell the tale. It also a gift from the most exalted Sheep Tribe, so I'd be careful what you say to it, as it is probably some kind of sheep royalty. Probably." Karie responds, defending her sheep as it stands and munches on grass poking through the cobblestone.

"You want timely heroes, you ain't getting them. We're weird like that. I enjoy punctuality, because I believe in first impressions, but at the same time sometimes I can't help but get sidetracked. You know what I mean? Either of you?" Karie asks curiously as she listens to the new hero walk up and confront the two men. She immediately recognized him and began to chuckle. Then a low laugh. As Lind bows his head in shame she begins roaring in hysteria, slapping her knees as water fills her eyes.

"That- that whole Charisian elf schtick was you! Oh, you are rich!" It takes Karie a good minute to calm down.

7YdqKPh.png

"No. I mostly kill them. I do have tranquilizer rounds, however - but whatever sleep-induced visions they have after that are beyond my control."

3Nvylnk.png

"...I see. Sheep royalty. And yes, first impressions are important, but..." Faust stops as he sees Karie burst out laughing, the king taking to impatiently tapping his cane on the cobblestones.

7YdqKPh.png

"I'm afraid that I do not understand getting sidetracked, Mrs. Cour, but i will say there are many human facets I don't understand."

3Nvylnk.png

"...I see. Sheep royalty. And yes, first impressions are important, but..." Faust stops as he sees Karie burst out laughing, the king taking to impatiently tapping his cane on the cobblestones.

7YdqKPh.png

"I'm afraid that I do not understand getting sidetracked, Mrs. Cour, but i will say there are many human facets I don't understand."

Karie manages to regain her posture, still seemingly entertained.

"My apologies, as a thespian, I find Lind's antics more than just insulting." Karie replies, listening to the Sandman's reply but deciding not to respond to it. She merely shrugs and looks around for other party members.

"Warlen Melimane, knight of Eulalia," stated Warlen simply, as much to the other heroes as to his employers.

Ooc-Thanks for having me, Endgame! A couple of things:

1-Stats updated. Spent 100 gold, got 2 smelling salts, a mead, and a nostrum.

2-Currently on holiday in Vietnam, so WiFi access will be sketchy. Scheduling is as follows; Bus, then plane today, 2 days on an island, then plane back to a big city, 5 days there, then about a day on/off to fly back home, 2 days in the big city, and bus home after that. Should be fine wherever I am, just telling you in advance.

Karie manages to regain her posture, still seemingly entertained.

"My apologies, as a thespian, I find Lind's antics more than just insulting." Karie replies, listening to the Sandman's reply but deciding not to respond to it. She merely shrugs and looks around for other party members.

7YdqKPh.png

"A thespian. Hmm."

"Warlen Melimane, knight of Eulalia," stated Warlen simply, as much to the other heroes as to his employers.

3Nvylnk.png

"Good. Another name off the list That leaves just the hunter, and Jinnipher..."

7YdqKPh.png

"..." Sandman goes silent at the mention of Jinnipher, seemingly wanting to say something...

Skrall joins the party assembling at the docks. "Karie, good to see ya again. Gentlemen." The ogre turns to Faust and tips his hat. "Your Majesty. Sounds like ya've got quite the issue on Moone. And this is?" The hunter turns to Sandman.

Skrall joins the party assembling at the docks. "Karie, good to see ya again. Gentlemen." The ogre turns to Faust and tips his hat. "Your Majesty. Sounds like ya've got quite the issue on Moone. And this is?" The hunter turns to Sandman.

"Master Hunter." The Munchkin bobbed his head respectfully in recognition of the hunter's arrival.

"Skrall! Glad you could join us! It's good to know I can count on someone here." She tries finding a way to greet him in a compassionate way, but can't determine what the best course of action would be and leaves it. She turns to the half elf, whom she had never met before.

"I don't believe we've met before. My name is Karie. Maybe you've heard me mentioned? Seems most people have around the hall..."

7YdqKPh.png

"A thespian. Hmm."

"Is there a problem, Mr. Sandman?" Karie asks. She painfully wanted to mention to find her a man with wavy hair like Liberachi to the masked mercenary, but she determined it unintelligent rather quickly.

Jinnipher is the last to show up, fashionably late. She strides leisurely towards the group, but upon noticing Faust she quickly drops her act and bows low. Additionally she unsheathes her sword and rests it point-down in front of her. She greets her liege in elvish.

<"My King... It has been a long time."> Even from the brief interactions a few of the present heroes had with Jinnipher, they could tell she was not used to using such a formal tone.

<"I heard about the dragon problem. I'm... here to help."> She paused, searching for her words in the cobblestone. <"How is Moone after all these years? How are... my parents?">

For the moment she seemed completely absorbed with the king, and didn't acknowledge the other heroes.

3Nvylnk.png

"You'd be correct. The ragon grows more audacious. He seems to be specifcally targetting those who support my rule; and I don't mean individual people exclusively. Any town, city, or village that stays in support of me is razed. Before long, the loyal will be dead and only traitors to the throne will remain. You cannot let that happen."

7YdqKPh.png

"Call me Sandman."

"Is there a problem, Mr. Sandman?" Karie asks. She painfully wanted to mention to find her a man with wavy hair like Liberachi to the masked mercenary, but she determined it unintelligent rather quickly.

7YdqKPh.png

"No."

Jinnipher is the last to show up, fashionably late. She strides leisurely towards the group, but upon noticing Faust she quickly drops her act and bows low. Additionally she unsheathes her sword and rests it point-down in front of her. She greets her liege in elvish.

<"My King... It has been a long time."> Even from the brief interactions a few of the present heroes had with Jinnipher, they could tell she was not used to using such a formal tone.

<"I heard about the dragon problem. I'm... here to help."> She paused, searching for her words in the cobblestone. <"How is Moone after all these years? How are... my parents?">

For the moment she seemed completely absorbed with the king, and didn't acknowledge the other heroes.

Faust looks relieved, finding someone he could trust. He touches the bottom of his cane to Jinnipher's blade, a symbol of the King's blessings.

3Nvylnk.png

<It has been far, far too long, Jinnipher, my subject.> says the king in elvish.

<And thank the gods you are here to help. I am unsure how these clowns will fare, now that I see them assembled. The half-elf and the hunter seem respectable enough, but the rest... Keep them in line for me, if you could - Sandman will do the same, but his methods are slightly more... caustic.>

<Moone is not doing well. At all, I'm afraid. Much of it is ash - the dragon's rampage is not indiscriminate, butit seems to be very delibrate. He is trying to tear down the order Moone has had since its creation, and that is something I will not allow to happen. You must not fail me, Jinnipher.>

<I do not know, Jinnipher. That is something you must figure out when you're tere... I hope for the best, but you must be prepared to meet tragedy. Moone is not the place it once was, not now. A sickly black fog shrouds it, and a dragon prowls endlessly, leaving a trail of destruction.>

Faust switches back to cmmon.

"Heroes. I think you need some information, yes? I will tell you that this is not the first time Vorpalis has wronged us. Back in the war of the Sun and Moon, the war that resulted in the sinking of Mercution, Vorpalis was on our side - and he was supposed to fight back the hordes of demons after they broke out. But, being the coward he was, he fled, and left us to die. Later, he had the gall to return and ask for forgiveness - I wanted to kill him then. I should have. But I drove him out, and he was not seen again, the fiend fading into obscurity.

Only recently did he return, and began his rampage- in the centuries that have passed, he seems to have grown stronger than the coward he once was. Perhaps he is bitter over me banishing him, but he deserted us. I hardly had a choice.

He seems to have made a lair out of my palace, but be warned - when I had to escape Moone, my castle was overflowing with the dragon's black fog. I can only imagine it will be worse now. The fog is dangerous, heroes. There is a scientist in Moone, a man named Sputnik, who you must contact. He may be able to make you a device that can pierce the fog. Last I heard, he was living near the Cathedral of Ennoc. Another man you mut be aware of is Aeolus, the guard captain in Mermont. I would like you to check to see if he is alive or not. Finally, I believe my two advisors, Marlow and Merlay, have scattered across Moone. If you can find any trace of them, it would be appreciated.

Any questions?"

3Nvylnk.png

Any questions?"

The Munchkin raised his hand respectfully. "Would it be possible for you to loan us some sort of map or chart of Moone? Also, is the dragon elemental, and if so, which element?" Edited by Lind Whisperer

The Munchkin raised his hand respectfully. "Would it be possible for you to loan us some sort of map or chart of Moone? Also, is the dragon elemental, and if so, which element?"

Faust hands the party a map.

hKivAjS.png

3Nvylnk.png

"This map was made based on when I was forced to take leave, meaning some of it may be inaccurate. Purple locations are ones that Vorpalis has either taken control of or destroyed, red ones are locations that are mostly intact, and blue locations are places that were endangered - their current fate is unknown. Your ultimate goal is going to be to make your way to the Palace and slay Vorpalis."

7YdqKPh.png

"Vorpalis's abilities are still not fully known, due to most witnesses meeting their end. The fog is heavily assocaited with him - and he is most definitely spreading it - but how he spreads it and what it does is unknown. Some say it is a hallucinogen that makes you see your worst nightmares. Others say it is actually a gas that makes you easily brainwashed by the dragon. A few people claim its poison, too. He flies around the kingdom each night and applies a fresh veil of fog. I was caught outside during one such application, and I nearly suffocated - I fell unconscious almost immediately. That may easily just be how much of it I inhaled, though... That may not even be its true purpose. I fear we will learn it eventually."

3Nvylnk.png

"Let that be a word of advice to you, heroes. Do not be outside at midnight, lest you wish to become lost in the fog."

Edited by Endgame

3Nvylnk.png

<It has been far, far too long, Jinnipher, my subject.> says the king in elvish.

<And thank the gods you are here to help. I am unsure how these clowns will fare, now that I see them assembled. The half-elf and the hunter seem respectable enough, but the rest... Keep them in line for me, if you could - Sandman will do the same, but his methods are slightly more... caustic.>

<Moone is not doing well. At all, I'm afraid. Much of it is ash - the dragon's rampage is not indiscriminate, butit seems to be very delibrate. He is trying to tear down the order Moone has had since its creation, and that is something I will not allow to happen. You must not fail me, Jinnipher.>

<I do not know, Jinnipher. That is something you must figure out when you're tere... I hope for the best, but you must be prepared to meet tragedy. Moone is not the place it once was, not now. A sickly black fog shrouds it, and a dragon prowls endlessly, leaving a trail of destruction.>

Faust switches back to cmmon.

"Heroes. I think you need some information, yes? I will tell you that this is not the first time Vorpalis has wronged us. Back in the war of the Sun and Moon, the war that resulted in the sinking of Mercution, Vorpalis was on our side - and he was supposed to fight back the hordes of demons after they broke out. But, being the coward he was, he fled, and left us to die. Later, he had the gall to return and ask for forgiveness - I wanted to kill him then. I should have. But I drove him out, and he was not seen again, the fiend fading into obscurity.

Only recently did he return, and began his rampage- in the centuries that have passed, he seems to have grown stronger than the coward he once was. Perhaps he is bitter over me banishing him, but he deserted us. I hardly had a choice.

He seems to have made a lair out of my palace, but be warned - when I had to escape Moone, my castle was overflowing with the dragon's black fog. I can only imagine it will be worse now. The fog is dangerous, heroes. There is a scientist in Moone, a man named Sputnik, who you must contact. He may be able to make you a device that can pierce the fog. Last I heard, he was living near the Cathedral of Ennoc. Another man you mut be aware of is Aeolus, the guard captain in Mermont. I would like you to check to see if he is alive or not. Finally, I believe my two advisors, Marlow and Merlay, have scattered across Moone. If you can find any trace of them, it would be appreciated.

Any questions?"

Jinnipher frowned at being called a 'subject'; she couldn't have been farther from such a thing. But she knew better than to talk back to her king. She still owed some loyalty to the remnants of her people after all. <"Amateurs, all of them. If I have to take out this dragon myself, consider it done.">

She rose from her bow, and also switched back to common as well as her usual lofty demeanor, hiding her distraught and fear about the destruction of her people. "Delibately razing your loyal towns... sounds like he has a bone to pick. Also sounds like he isn't the smartest of dragons. He should've stayed out while he had the chance."

She finally acknowledged the party. "So it sounds like we should visit the Cathedral of Ennoc first, and see if we can find this Sputnik. Perhaps the safe towns also indicate the ones not loyal to King Faust. We should be safe from the dragon there, at least."

"So it sounds like we should visit the Cathedral of Ennoc first, and see if we can find this Sputnik.
"First, according to the map, we should be visiting the Docks - unless you want to risk a possibly uncomfortable shore landing. No offense, M'liege, no offense - it's just that water does unfortunate things to throwing cards - you see how that is.

After that, I vote we head for Cenauri - it's on the way to the Cathedral, and Sputnik's only said to be in the area of the Cathedral, not at it directly. We may be able to find more information on his whereabouts in Cenauri."

Perhaps the safe towns also indicate the ones not loyal to King Faust. We should be safe from the dragon there, at least."

"I'd consider those to be high danger zones, actually. If they're loyal to the dragon - or even if they're just debating about whom to follow - they aren't going to be any sort of safe-houses."

"First, according to the map, we should be visiting the Docks - unless you want to risk a possibly uncomfortable shore landing. No offense, M'liege, no offense - it's just that water does unfortunate things to throwing cards - you see how that is.

Jinnipher rolled eyes. "Obviously. Unless you want to fly there, hotshot."