1. 1. What do you think of this model?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

Lego 42008 Service Truck (B-Model)

Thanks to EuroBricks for making this review possible! As I looked at the recent Technic sets, this was one that I thought looked interesting, but not enough to buy. So when the opportunity to review it came up, I jumped! The main model is a European-style heavy tow truck with pneumatics and motors, so that's pretty cool. But what about the B-model? It's a claw truck with a trailer. We've seen similar models from Lego before (we had the 9397 Logging Truck [though no trailer on that one], 8049 Tractor with Trailer, and we could stretch to the 8110 Unimog and 8258 Crane Truck as well). So how does this compare, since it's a B Model?

(If you'd like to see my review of the main model, it's right over here)

Name: Service Truck

Set Number: 42008

Pieces: 1276

Price: $129.99

Minifigs: n/a

Theme: Technic

Year of Release: 2013

Links: Bricklink Peeron Brickset

The Back of the Box

16379614335_ba1bd9c2f1_z.jpg

The back of the box shows the B model for us. The instructions are online only, not printed, but that's normal. It seems to have a lot of functionality for a B model but is very similar to many other Technic sets with a claw arm and trailer.

The Build, 1

16415099177_6dbf60a85b_z.jpg

Following the instructions on screen (not my preferred way to build, although at least the quality was decent on this set) we get the frame of the truck to start.

The Build, 2

16415100057_6883543bbf_z.jpg

Now the back wall of the cab is partially installed, as well as most of the steering system in place. It's simpler than the main model, since there's only 1 steered axle this time. You can also see some of the weird design bits due to it being a B model, such as the exposed pin on the connector being used to brace the right angle in the steering. You can't see it, but actually BOTH pins of that connector are unused.

The Build, 3

16435386440_2ca52317d6_z.jpg

The cab's made a lot of progress. You can see a few more oddities, like the white license plate stickered beam that's mostly hidden. I probably should have turned it around, but oh well. (the manual doesn't show stickers on the B model). (and yes, I hadn't found one of the grey grill pieces, but I was tired of digging through the parts. I found it later and put it on)

The Build, 4

16622399445_cc68e412a4_z.jpg

Now the cab is done. It's ok. Not great, but ok. There's weird color things going on due to the part limitations, and the doors feel too recessed, and the "winch" on the front is just an excuse to use those pieces up. (and yes, I did it backwards in this photo. The cable should hang down the inside rather than the outside to make the ratchet work correctly)

The Build, 5

16622400465_d736c559a7_z.jpg

The chassis has also been extended backwards. The rear axles are visible, as are the starting points for the crane, rear stabilizers, and lots of other pins waiting to be built upon.

The Build, 6

16622401265_5037018a83_z.jpg

Time for a gearbox. Looks like we'll have the central input shaft going to 3 outputs.

The Build, 7

16415105417_a10141fee2_z.jpg

The gearbox slips into the frame and we get to connect up the outputs. As in the main model, we have a powered air compressor (the black and grey cylinder right in the center) plus, so far, an output going back through a couple u-joints to that vertical crane connection we saw in the last photo. The third output hasn't been used yet.

The Build, 8

16622405645_8859d5570f_z.jpg

A whole layer has been added to the back of the truck. The third output from the gearbox now runs back to the outriggers. The colors all seem haphazard. It's understandable, but does make it obvious this wasn't the main model.

The Build, 9

16622406915_6bfaf9724c_z.jpg

Those "wings" sticking out behind the cab turned out to be the battery mounts. Simple and effective, and it's unusual to see a horizontal battery box behind the cab like that. Also unusual, there's that mini-LA at an angle to rotate the crane. Lego has used linear methods (LAs or pneumatics) to rotate things before, but it's unusual. Since the main model didn't have a turntable, this is an alternate way of making a "powered" swiveling base.

The Build, 10

16002648533_f6e50576ee_z.jpg

That's a very unusual boom setup there. And seriously, an axle with a bush on it as a manual control for rotation? The whole setup is just weird and slapdash. I hope it at least works well...

The Truck, Finished

16621757172_a9936fddb3_z.jpg

Here's the final truck. It functions, but it's got some issues. The pneumatic hoses are too stiff and since they come horizontally across the red beam, they keep the claw from hanging as freely as it should. And again, the controls are awkward. There's the manual rotation control on the left, the pneumatic control on top, and the gearbox controls on both sides. Too many levers in too many places. The the rear outriggers... they're there, but barely.

The Truck, Reaching Out

16002654293_96d275364f_z.jpg

Here's the full reach of the crane. It'll reach the ground barely, and can rotate to the sides. It's not really enough to reach into the trailer though, if the trailer is connected behind the truck. To do any work, you need to park the truck between the load and the trailer. There are a bunch of beams left over you could use as a load, but the claw doesn't grab them very well.

The Build, 11

16415113717_c46329d8aa_z.jpg

Time for the trailer. A basic frame to start - axles for the single set of wheels, a "hitch" up front, and a manual leg that can come down.

The Build, 12

16415114467_1d70185572_z.jpg

Here's the start of the tipping setup. That is a weird linkage from the mini-LA to make the trailer tip sideways. And again, a bush as a knob to manually control it.

The Trailer, Finished

16435400570_a549c32005_z.jpg

The previous frame mounts to the trailer and a bunch of panels fill out the trailer. Too bad there's random stickers all over. Guess it gives it a "distressed" look?

The Trailer, Tipped

16621295831_e1b9bf05dc_z.jpg

That's as far as it tips, but it's enough to get the job done.

The Conclusion

So, what's my conclusion on this model? It's meh. The build is ok, the functions are ok, but the final thing feels definitely B and not main model material. The colors are random, the stickers are in the way, and the functions just feel haphazard.I'd recommend building it first so there's no stickers and you can see it for a day or two, and then take it apart and build the main model and leave that one built. It's much better than the B.

The Ratings

Value: 10/10 - It's so close to the famous 10 cents a part mark, and there's so many useful parts. Lots of panels, PF, pneumatics, so it's solid.

Design: 4/10 - Haphazard colors, stickers from the main model, etc.

Minifigs: n/a -

Playability: 6/10 - It's got some functionality, but the controls are awkward and it doesn't actually pick things up well. The reach of the boom is short as well.

Parts: 10/10 - It's got both pneumatics and PF, plus if you want green Technic, it's the only place to go. It's the only source of 1x7 beams, the best source for 1x9 and 1x13 beams, and the only current(ish) source for green panels.

Overall: 5/10 - Ok to make once, but then build the main model since it's much better.

Very nice review ! However the B model (sadly the A model too) looks ... not so good. The bodywork seems unfinished and the multitude of colors make the model look poorly. I saw a great C model a few days ago which was great, I wonder how some AFOLS can create much better designs then LEGO designers.

Good review, too bad the product isn't that great. Is there pressure to use as many parts as possible in the B models? It may explain the odd colours.