[MOC] Acclamator V2

21 replies to this topic

#1 Hollander

Hollander

Member: 17672

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

Posted Image
As promised I would build a second (and better) version of the midi-scale Acclamator Star Destroyer. I hope you guys like it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Anio

Anio

• I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.

Member: 5344

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Very nicely executed.  :thumbup:

#3 Mr Man

Mr Man

Member: 13561

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

Very nice Hollander :thumbup: :thumbup:. Did you take the old one apart for this or have you still got it?
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Hollander

Hollander

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

View PostMr Man, on 17 July 2011 - 06:20 PM, said:

Very nice Hollander :thumbup: :thumbup:. Did you take the old one apart for this or have you still got it?

I had to take the old one apart, because I had to use all my 3x6 wedge plates for this built. I'm still not satisfied with this version, so I will make a third version in a couple of months I guess.  

Anio said:

Very nicely executed.  :thumbup:

Thanks.  :classic:

#5 P4trickvH

P4trickvH

Member: 17133

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

Looking good, well done.
Posted Image

#6 The Legonater

The Legonater

• Can NOT Ctrl + Alt + Delete the Past

Member: 8515

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

Nice. It makes me wish LEGO does a Midi Acclamator.

Memory is the Key

A Christian and not ashamed.

Posted Image
Dyric Rone, Assassin of the Light

Level 28 1/3 Assassin

Theodor Legion, 73 year old ex-Bonaparte in Cruel Angel's Thesis

#7 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Huge improvements, Hollander! :thumbup: I can't spot any major missing details. I also love that you're still not satisfied. Builders that never settle do nothing but improve.

#8 Hollander

Hollander

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 17 July 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

Huge improvements, Hollander! :thumbup: I can't spot any major missing details. I also love that you're still not satisfied. Builders that never settle do nothing but improve.

Thanks Brickdoctor (and others)!

The thing what I find is hard when building an Acclamator, is the angle which those plates have to make. I don't know exactly how to explain this in English, but the angle of those wedge plates is not sharp(?) enough to catch the shape of the Acclamator. The versions I made are both too pointed, if you know what I mean. Oh well, I'll try to explain myself with a picture I made quick with paint:

Posted Image

The upper one has about the shape the ship has now and next to it the very basis way to make the angle.

But I could also try to use a 3x12 wedge plate to make the right angle for the Acclamator, as seen in the bottom painting, and you automatically create the space in the shape of a triangel in the middle just like the real Acclamator has. This technique would make it look like far more realistic I guess.

Edited by Hollander, 17 July 2011 - 09:30 PM.

#9 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

Quite cool! :thumbup: I for one, would love to see this as a midi-scale set.  (Hey we can never get too many!)  This MOC looks very nicely built and now I want to go build a midi-scale ship. :tongue:
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#10 Hollander

Hollander

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostMasked Builder, on 18 July 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Quite cool! :thumbup: I for one, would love to see this as a midi-scale set.  (Hey we can never get too many!)  This MOC looks very nicely built and now I want to go build a midi-scale ship. :tongue:

Thanks 'Masked Builder'! And if you want to build a Midi-scale ship yourself now, what are you waiting for?  :wink:  :tongue:

#11 Anio

Anio

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

View PostHollander, on 18 July 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

Thanks 'Masked Builder'! And if you want to build a Midi-scale ship yourself now, what are you waiting for?  :wink:  :tongue:
Is it possible to post photos of the inside ? (to see how it is made)

#12 Hollander

Hollander

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

View PostAnio, on 18 July 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

Is it possible to post photos of the inside ? (to see how it is made)

Darn, you're only 30 minutes too late... I just broke it down, sorry.  :blush:

I made a 1-plate high frame, but no really special building technices or so. Everything was just connected with a bunch of hinges.

#13 Anio

Anio

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostHollander, on 18 July 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

I'm waiting for your third version, then.  :sweet:

#14 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

View PostHollander, on 17 July 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

The thing what I find is hard when building an Acclamator, is the angle which those plates have to make. I don't know exactly how to explain this in English, but the angle of those wedge plates is not sharp(?) enough to catch the shape of the Acclamator. The versions I made are both too pointed, if you know what I mean. Oh well, I'll try to explain myself with a picture I made quick with paint:
Ah. The problem comes from the use of 3x6 plates. I believe a more accurate angle can be achieved with the 8x4 wedge plate. (or at least that's what I've seen in other MOCs)

#15 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

This is certainly a hundred times better than the first version, kudos for the continuous improvement Hollander! :thumbup: Though I don't know how you could still top this one as it already look perfect to me at midi-scale, perhaps expanding it to an ambitious UCS-scale one?

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#16 Praiter Yed

Praiter Yed

• I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Member: 11296

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

Very nice Hollander - much sleeker than version 1. :thumbup:  . I'm also looking forward to V3.

View PostHollander, on 18 July 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

WOW. You are relentless in the destruction of your own MOCs - I wish I could be more like this. I can't bring myself to take mine apart (not even the crap ones!).
Posted Image
Always on Brickshelf but finally flickr'd!  My CMS trade list  My minifig trades on swapfig.com

#17 Hollander

Hollander

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 18 July 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

Ah. The problem comes from the use of 3x6 plates. I believe a more accurate angle can be achieved with the 8x4 wedge plate. (or at least that's what I've seen in other MOCs)

I had the same thoughts. This bricklink folder includes an amazing Acclamator, the builder has also used those 4x8 wedge plates. Next month I will probably place a new Bricklink order and then also get my hands on a bunch of those wedge plates.

View PostKielDaMan, on 19 July 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

This is certainly a hundred times better than the first version, kudos for the continuous improvement Hollander! :thumbup: Though I don't know how you could still top this one as it already look perfect to me at midi-scale, perhaps expanding it to an ambitious UCS-scale one?

Can you read my thoughts KielDaMan? Because weeks before I made the first Acclamator, I promised myself to make an UCS Acclamator one day.  :laugh: But, that won't happen this year I guess. Why? Well, I have to improve my skills a lot first before I dare to start such a huge build, neither I have the parts. I'm also not skilled enough on how to connect the upper and under hull plates to the frame, I was thinking about using magnets, just like in the UCS Star Destroyer. I don't know if there are any tutorials or tips & tricks can be bound on the web regarding those large wedge plate constructions.

View PostPraiter Yed, on 19 July 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

Very nice Hollander - much sleeker than version 1. :thumbup:  . I'm also looking forward to V3.

WOW. You are relentless in the destruction of your own MOCs - I wish I could be more like this. I can't bring myself to take mine apart (not even the crap ones!).

Thanks 'Praiter Yed'!

I know I probably deconstruct my MOC's earlier than most of the folks here, but the point is, ALL my lego is stationed at my grandparents' house. I'm here for a couple of weeks now, so I have to take my change on building a load of MOC's right?  :tongue:

#18 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

View PostHollander, on 19 July 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

I had the same thoughts. This bricklink folder includes an amazing Acclamator, the builder has also used those 4x8 wedge plates. Next month I will probably place a new Bricklink order and then also get my hands on a bunch of those wedge plates.
Sounds good. I do like your idea of angling the plates inward as well, though. Maybe a fusion of both ideas.

#19 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostHollander, on 18 July 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

Yep I know what I want to build now, you'll just have to wait to see it. :devil:
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#20 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

Member: 4964

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

View PostHollander, on 17 July 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

Thanks Brickdoctor (and others)!

[respectful snip]

The upper one has about the shape the ship has now and next to it the very basis way to make the angle.

But I could also try to use a 3x12 wedge plate to make the right angle for the Acclamator, as seen in the bottom painting, and you automatically create the space in the shape of a triangel in the middle just like the real Acclamator has. This technique would make it look like far more realistic I guess.

I applaud the amount of thought you've put into capturing the shape of the Acclamator accurately! :thumbup:

Have you tried hinged plates? (Something like what has been done here?)

#21 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

View PostMasked Builder, on 19 July 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

Yep I know what I want to build now, you'll just have to wait to see it. :devil:
Is it that half-built Venator in your flickr? Or the Nu?

#22 M<0><0<DSWIM

M<0><0<DSWIM

• Gundam Style

Member: 15440

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:48 AM

I agree with others that this is a huge improvement over the 1st version!  The overall shape and color scheme really make this stand out and look quite accurate.  I see your point about improving the shape/angles, but you could post this as a final version and I'd buy it! :wub:

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users