Sign in to follow this  
JopieK

Employee steals 1000+ minifigs

http://metro.co.uk/2...igures-4781747/

He might have been recruiting extras for the next Lego movie, but he wasn’t.

ad_139391828.jpg?w=650&h=432&crop=1#038;h=666

This toyshop employee stole thousands of Lego figures selling them on his own online Lego store, even stealing specific characters to order.

Petr Botek stole 6,100 Lego figures worth an estimated £15,000 from a toyshop in Kladno, a city in Northern Czech Republic.

Botek would look through Lego box sets for the most popular and priciest figures before resealing the boxes.

This ongoing thievery was found out only after the toyshop owner repeatedly received complaints from customers claiming the Lego boxes were missing figures.

The owner went straight to Lego who informed him that due to his being the only store who was experiencing such issues that it must be someone at the shop stealing the plastic toys.

Czech Police then took over the investigation who successfully tracked down Botek and his deception.

Police spokeswoman Jana Steinerova spoke of the crime: ‘The figures can’t be bought individually because they come as a part of different sets.

‘But officers found that the shop worker had been taking individual figures and was selling them online in his own private Lego store.’

The crooked toyshop assistant faces 5 years in prison.

He can take a police station set in with himself to keep entertained for 5 years ? :wink:

I'm amazed it took so long.....that's a lot of minifigs ? :laugh:

Well, the article is wrong in one thing - according to the TV news in CR, it was employee of Kladno Lego factory, who had even other employees bringing him minifigures or their parts, that he completed afterwards. So no toy shop employee. It would be strange if he stole minifigures out of the sealed boxes - who would buy then open box of some set?

Edited by BudhaBoss

Wow! LOL very loud!

Sounds like we all would like to have had HIS job the past five years! Where do we apply to become a successful minifig thief? After walking right by one of the two parked jets and the helicopter (next to Legoland Billund) of the owner of LEGO, I think the company can afford another worker like this one, and I would like to formally apply as his position has to be open.

He can take a police station set in with himself to keep entertained for 5 years ? :wink:

I'm amazed it took so long.....that's a lot of minifigs ? :laugh:

Along with a toy store.

Perhaps they should make a minifigure of him so he can re-enact the scenes...

Well, the article is wrong in one thing - according to the TV news in CR, it was employee of Kladno Lego factory, who had even other employees bringing him minifigures or their parts, that he completed afterwards. So no toy shop employee. It would be strange if he stole minifigures out of the sealed boxes - who would buy then open box of some set?

Yeah, how do you remove minifigs from sealed sets without it being obvious? You have to rip open multiple bags. So obvious that it's been tampered with.

Yeah, how do you remove minifigs from sealed sets without it being obvious? You have to rip open multiple bags. So obvious that it's been tampered with.

I actually have heard of incidents of people doing this, but to amass the quantity of figures that this guy had would be nearly impossible. It would be so time consuming that I don't think it would be worth it (although I guess some shady people will do anything to make a buck).

I actually have heard of incidents of people doing this, but to amass the quantity of figures that this guy had would be nearly impossible. It would be so time consuming that I don't think it would be worth it (although I guess some shady people will do anything to make a buck).

Exactly, and this guy reportedly lifted over 6000 before being caught. Unlikely, he'd have to be the only one around or have accomplices. Usually if minifigs are missing from a set it's when the set was returned to where it was bought after being opened.

That makes much more sense! But then the whole article is wrong of course!

That would explain the long time to track him down, too.

>6000 minifigs from a toy shop? That means at least 1000 angry customers (if we calculate 6 minifigs per set). *oh2*

Never ever!

Wow... I always feel bad for the shop owners when I see boxes that have been opened in the store shelves :angry:

But that's a lot of minifigs, how come he wasn't found earlier?...

I agree, but only if the set misses the minifigs :grin:

While certainly not condoning his actions (what ever they may or may not have been and from who) I do admire his taste in toys!

I'll take those Hydra Agents if nobody wants them... :look: But 5 years?! Wow, totally not worth stealing the Minifigs. What a dummy!

The reason behind the 5 years is probably the fact that he systematically stole something for a very long time, and sold it to gain personal profit. It's a crime either way.

Are those light blue figures from the 2004 Hogwarts Castle?

It's Captain America on the left, and Spider-Man in the center of the picture.

Out of all the things somebody can do to face five years in prison, this has got to be one of the dumbest. This guy...wow. Five irreplaceable years of your life for minifigures?

Edited by sethmotion

Five irreplaceable years of your life for minifigures money?

He sold them. People will do stuff for money.

Edited by Artanis I

Heres a video of the report from a Czech commercial TV station (warning: theres a short commercial or two before the actual report).

http://tn.nova.cz/clanek/zpravy/na-vasi-strane/seznam-lego-figurek-na-hrackach-muzete-zbohatnout-i-vy-nemate-je-doma.html

Its in Czech, of course, but there are close-ups of a few figs. Some of them arent supposed to be available yet, so maybe some of you will identify them. At 0:22 sec., for example, there a fig in a reddish-brown fireman hat (which I dont know if it has been released yet in this color) and a torso which I dont recognize either.

At 0:22 sec., for example, there a fig in a reddish-brown fireman hat (which I dont know if it has been released yet in this color) and a torso which I dont recognize either.

If you look closely, the guy with the firehat is next to the Blacktron fan from the Lego Movie line. The colors of the firehat and the Blacktron fan torso match, so both must be dark red. The torso is quite rare, but it is already available (pic is link):

973pb1383c01.jpg

It's still a slight possibility that something not yet released is buried in the video, but I couldn't spot it.

The most intriguing thing I can see is the figure in front of Nightwing once that same shot zooms out. It has a black Chima fox head, and the pants kind of look like Chima, but I can't identify the torso. It almost looks Batman-ish, but no Batman I know of.