Zerobricks

How to be more succesfull on youtube

Greetings!

I started on youtube some 6 years ago, and has since gained some 4000 subs. U upload almost weekly, so far there are over 200 videos on the channel Recently I upadated the channel and the videos thumbnails and arranged the vidoes in categories.

The problem is, everytime I try something else than the usual Lego technic, I get lots of dislikes and unsubs. Problem is I like trying new stuff, but no matter how hard I try I cant get a breakthrough...

I put so much work in my models, videos, animations for medicore results, while you see some kids screaming in the camera getting millions of views...

WTH am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any opinion you guys can provide. My channel link is in my signature.

The main problem is, that there are not so many lego technic fans out there on youtube.

Another problem: If you search after simple things, like "lego technic", you'll find videos with views >10000.

And: People are "invisible" in the worldwide web. So they can troll, hate, dislike as much as they want. So you can't take all those negative comments seriously.

Maybe try to make more advertising for your videos in other lego related forums.

The main problem is, that there are not so many lego technic fans out there on youtube.

Another problem: If you search after simple things, like "lego technic", you'll find videos with views >10000.

And: People are "invisible" in the worldwide web. So they can troll, hate, dislike as much as they want. So you can't take all those negative comments seriously.

Maybe try to make more advertising for your videos in other lego related forums.

You know any other major Lego related forums? I think these are the biggest ones.

I checked it out, and you now have one more subscriber :classic:

Youtube users work in mysterios ways... You have some great stuff on your channel, and I certainly don't think it is the quality that keeps people from subscribing :classic: As pluto suggests the number of technic fans on youtube might be the issue, I think especially the technic crowd are a bit more... eh... intellectually advanced than the average youtube dude and would rather sit on a forum and discuss gear exchange ratios, or what ever you guys call it :classic: The technic forum does sometimes seem a bit like a closed circle, and generally i don't think it is the most popular Lego theme, so reaching out of it can be tough i imagine.

Thanks! Thats why I am trying new stuff for a greater audience, its just it seems current subs dont like changes...Lawl a technic builder making animations MUST disiike mentality.

Edited by Zblj

I subscribed too, I want to see more of the technic type building. I think too it is a smaller subset of Lego fans. As a user, not a producer, I don't even read the comments, I have seen how bad/mean/stupid a lot of people can be...

I like how you organized your channel, its easy to use.

I subbed! Even though I don't really care for Technic...

It's all about how you present your videos. :classic:

Thumbnails, tags, and the description does matter. So does how you interact with your fans. I can't reveal my, uh, secrets, but trust me. I can see you're very passionate about your content, so that is definitely a step in the right direction. :sweet:

I just joined YouTube about 1 year ago, but only got serious(ish) recently. I still have <200 subs. My videos are getting better, but my views are not increasing. I'll look at some animation, and it will be something filmed at 3 fps with the kid making his own sound effects, and it will have like 300,000 views. This is frustrating.

I say this because YouTube can often be like the lottery. You get one video that for whatever reason get's a lot more views than the rest, and people go from that video to your channel and subscribe.

For you, it looks like you have a lot of videos with 50,000+ views. This is good, obviously. However, they are ALL technic builds. This means that your audience is largely technic builders. They are subscribed to you FOR technic builds. So when you post something that ISN'T technic, they flip out. My advice is to start a new channel for your animations. Link it to your current channel so you can get SOME of the traffic over there.

You probably already know most of this, though.

As for why those videos get dislikes... honestly, people in the LEGO community (or at least from what I have seen) don't really like LDD used as a primary tool. It's acceptable to use it to plan, but when you make the entire animation with LDD, people usually frown upon that. I think if you made the animations with normal LEGOs, you would get a lot fewer dislikes.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing subs. If you enjoy trying new things then that's definitely what you should do. If other people find your new content engaging and interesting enough then you will eventually get new subscribers to replace them. In my experience I've found that YouTube subscribers are definitely a fickle bunch and I lose tonnes of subscribers all the time.

You really have to ask yourself what you want your channel to be.

If you want to produce high quality Technic videos then your potential audience will be relatively small (as others have noted), and it looks to me like your channel is pretty successful in that area.

If you want to become super popular and appeal to the general masses, then you need to cater to what the masses want, and it seems that top two things that they want are stupidity and humour, and preferably both. :)

Obviously there is also a lot of room between those two extremes.

J

Thanks! I will keep on trying new things and try to spread out of just the usual lego technic.

You guys are great :wink:

One more thing that just crossed my mind...NICK...can a weird nick like mine affect performance.

One more thing that just crossed my mind...NICK...can a weird nick like mine affect performance.

Your username? It's probably a good thing, since it was the first result when I searched you on YouTube.

Your username? It's probably a good thing, since it was the first result when I searched you on YouTube.

Yeah but not even I can pronaunce it :sweet: Well yeah its at least unique.

Try to get better at editting your videos. Add commentary to all of your videos. These two are crucial.

Rest is about getting lucky and promoting your channel in forums and stuff.

Some of these may help

Set a schedule and stick to it. Keep your face in front of your subscribers a lot of You Tubers get big by posting every day

YouTube changed the way they rank videos now watch time is the biggest factor in ranking now... A 15 min video will rank higher than a 2 min video.

It’s hard to see LDD instructions on smaller screens and some steps get in the way of others so doing a live build or LPub are easier to see.

YouTube is a community and people want to know you. So interact with them find other technic people and form a friendship. And like comment and subscribe to them

People love hauls videos, project updates and sig figs.

Yeah I dont really like showing up my face :blush: But I always though long videos are boring... Going to have to try a long maybe how:to video with commentary.

Long videos are boring, this is LEGO, not some video game Let's Play video. 5-6 minutes videos with commentary is what everybody likes. Too long or too short is not good.

Long videos are boring, this is LEGO, not some video game Let's Play video. 5-6 minutes videos with commentary is what everybody likes. Too long or too short is not good.

I agree, show what you need to show, and don't make it too long. I would say 5 minutes is the maximum for a single MOC unless it has soooo many new revolutionary features or techniques you need to explain. In this case I would suggest making more than one video for that MOC, this would also give people a reason to come back :classic:

I agree, show what you need to show, and don't make it too long. I would say 5 minutes is the maximum for a single MOC unless it has soooo many new revolutionary features or techniques you need to explain. In this case I would suggest making more than one video for that MOC, this would also give people a reason to come back :classic:

Yeah, usually my vidoes are no longer than some 3-4 minutes... Perosnally I get bored after some 7 minutes unless its something really awesome.

I disagree. I like longer videos, especially for reviews or MOCs. It gives more time to explain and observe whatever the video is about. They just have to be well thought out and not filler (i.e. not a lot of "ummms" or "and uh" or "I think uh").

For commentary you mean audio?

He means when you are talking to the audience. Like if you are talking about your build.

I understand...I am planning to upload a how-to vid with commentary, will see how it goes.

Thanks!