Sign in to follow this  
Bob De Quatre

[LDD MOC] Improved A-wing mark II

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Today's MOC is the improved A-wing mark II.

Here is the lxf file

During the Galactic civil war, the rebellion lost numerous A-wing, hence a shortage of good pilots. The rookies were so dumb that most were unable to stay on simple flight plan or followed blindly their SPS (Space Positioning System), ending their course in the command deck or power generator of many star destroyers (seriously the star destroyers are huge, you can see them way ahead and have the time to change your course).

To resolve this issue, the admiral Ackbar and his engineering team worked on providing the A-wing with the best flying equipment: the R2 unit.

They enlarged the hull by 14%, removed 57% of the studs, and placed a R2 unit on the left side of the ship.

lddscreenshot31.png

lddscreenshot32.png

lddscreenshot35.png

lddscreenshot33.png

lddscreenshot36n.png

Now Kevin the A-wing pilot can fly safely with his R2 unit!

lddscreenshot39.png

I wanted to give a try with an OT ship, and the A-wing was small and simple enough for the Daily MOC operation :sweet:

I couldn't fit the rear landing gear, so I dropped it, and the front one too.

Hope you like it.

The background story is hilarious, you should see the smile on my face! And the model itself has been done really well, great job on that! I particularly like the curved part with the overhanging flap at the droid socket, it fits there perfectly while providing just that bit of extra protection for the precious R2 unit. I think i would've moved the droid socket 2 studs back myself though, so it's in line with the main cockpit and it wouldn't block the pilot's view as much.

removed 57% of the studs.[/i]

:laugh:, I've just dribbled some tea from my nose :hmpf:.

It looks like an evaluation from the Eta-2 Class. However it doesn't look as fast as the original, it looks more like a fighter than an interceptor now.

Really nice design. I like the way you positioned the droid, next to the pilot. I think the OT ships design is much more appealing than the prequel style. Great rendition, if you find a way of removing some studs from the top part it's definitely a win!

The background story is hilarious, you should see the smile on my face! And the model itself has been done really well, great job on that! I particularly like the curved part with the overhanging flap at the droid socket, it fits there perfectly while providing just that bit of extra protection for the precious R2 unit. I think i would've moved the droid socket 2 studs back myself though, so it's in line with the main cockpit and it wouldn't block the pilot's view as much.

To move it back I would have to readjust the inclination off the foils, or change the curved part... :sceptic:

:laugh:, I've just dribbled some tea from my nose :hmpf:.

It looks like an evaluation from the Eta-2 Class. However it doesn't look as fast as the original, it looks more like a fighter than an interceptor now.

Oh it's as fast as the original! Well you see... less studs equals less friction... in space... so it's faster... :hmpf:

Edited by Bob De Quatre

Another day saved by Bob! :thumbup: Great background story and interesting design - looks a tiny bit like at TIE fighter now :laugh:

To move it back I would have to readjust the inclination off the foils, or change the curved part... :sceptic:

Please don't trouble yourself by trying, it really does look great this way too!

(...) looks a tiny bit like at TIE fighter now :laugh:

Eh what? :wacko:

Another day saved by Bob! :thumbup: Great background story and interesting design - looks a tiny bit like at TIE fighter now :laugh:

A TIE fighter ??

Please don't trouble yourself by trying, it really does look great this way too!

Don't worry, I have np time to waste, already working on tomorrow's MOC :wink:

I'm surprised nobody noticed the treasure island map.

I did, but i assumed it was a stand-in for another printed piece?

I did, but i assumed it was a stand-in for another printed piece?

I don't use "stand-in", I got the piece I want, or I change my design :wink: