Sign in to follow this  
BlueBard

BS FIND: Spanish Artillery

thindexedgif.gif Vig 15-a

Look what I've found on Brickshelf:

firing.jpg

It's a little vig of the spanish artillery from the XVI century I supposed. The author is unknown. :pir-look:

It would be a great small set for a new line of Lego Pirates Theme, wouldn't it? I really hope we'll see conquistadores again in the new line! :pir-sweet:

BTW, that flag did not represent the Hispanic Kingdoms, and specially the land army until the XVIII century. The right flag would be this one, the red cross of Burgundy, used by the famous "Tercios de Infantería", the best land infantry the world has known... pir-devil:

A bit of patriotism here!... :pir-tongue: If you\'re interested, here you have a little demonstration with a scene from the movie "Alatriste" showing the famous battle of Rocroi between the spanish empire and the kingdom of France. (In spanish, but well, there's not a long dialogue in a battle... :pir-wink:)

Edited by SlyOwl

It's a little vig of the spanish artillery from the XVI century I supposed. The author is unknown. :pir-look:

Oh it most certainly wood! It reminds me of that recent Castle set, 7090 Crossbow Attack. The only thing its missing is something to fire at... Like... Aztecs for example... Or maybe Pirates and Aztecs...

BTW, that flag did not represent the Hispanic Kingdoms, and specially the land army until the XVIII century. The right flag would be this one, the red cross of Burgundy, used by the famous "Tercios de Infantería", the best land infantry the world has known... pir-devil:

A bit of patriotism here!...

Dear mister BlueBar,

Nice find!

slightly of topic:

On what point system do you base the assumption they where the best the world has known? :pir-tongue:

Scrolling through some battles they were involved in I already see three defeats. :pir-oh3:

Or am I somehow mistaken? I tried to read their website but it is in Spanish. :pir-hmpf:

What my short research showed was:

-The Spanish-American War (1898) won by the USA

-The Siege of Toulon (18 September - 18 December 1793) won by the French.

-Anglo–Spanish War (1585) won by england and the Dutch rebbels (revolting against their Spannish king :pir-tongue: ), which in turn let to the creation of the Dutch Republic here.

A dutch revolution which some say inspired the rebels in the USA. Not so strange since New York was mostly inhabited by Dutch settlers having a Dutch version of rights tolerated by the English which lookes like the current bill of rights of the USA. a USA which in turn came to haunt the Spanish in 1898. The irony of history.. :pir-tongue:

The framers of the U.S. Constitution were influenced by the Constitution of the Republic of the United Provinces, though that influence was more as an example of things to avoid than of things to imitate.[2] In addition, the Act of Abjuration, essentially the declaration of independence of the United Provinces, is strikingly similar to the later American Declaration of Independence[3] though concrete evidence that the former directly influenced the latter is absent.

John Adams went so far as to say that “the originals of the two Republics are so much alike that the history of one seems but a transcript from that of the other.”[4] The seven arrows in the lion's left claw in the Republic's coat of arms, representing the seven provinces, was a precedent for the thirteen arrows in the eagle's left claw in the Great Seal of the United States.[5]

Please dont take this post too seriously, the research is not done rigourisly enough, nor does the author believe it to be completely true. :pir-wink:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

Dear mister BlueBard,

On what point system do you base the assumption they where the best the world has known? :pir-tongue:

-The Spanish-American War (1898) won by the USA

-The Siege of Toulon (18 September - 18 December 1793) won by the French.

The Tercios were disolved centuries ago... :pir-sad2:

-Anglo–Spanish War (1585) won by england and the Dutch rebbels (revolting against their Spannish king :pir-tongue: ), which in turn let to the creation of the Dutch Republic here.

First, this was the beginning of the end of the Hispanic monarchy power. Second, read about the siege of Breda or the Rutyer Windmill battles...

And, of course, read about Lepanto battle or the conquest of Mexico and South America :pir-devil:

Oh it most certainly wood! It reminds me of that recent Castle set, 7090 Crossbow Attack. The only thing its missing is something to fire at... Like... Aztecs for example... Or maybe Pirates and Aztecs...

That would be a 'would'there Mister Phes! :pir-laugh:

Instead of making Islanders in the new rumoured Pirate Theme, they should make Aztecs.

1. It would help with my Tintin Mocs

2. It would go with the Indiana Jones Theme

3. There very intresting with many artifacts taken by the spanish but then retaken by the British Privateers! Muhaha! :pir-devil:

Edited by Joey Lock

The Tercios were disolved centuries ago... :pir-sad2:

First, this was the beginning of the end of the Hispanic monarchy power. Second, read about the siege of Breda or the Rutyer Windmill battles...

And, of course, read about Lepanto battle or the conquest of Mexico and South America :pir-devil:

Dear mister blue Beard,

That is very interesting. :pir-classic:

(Although Breda was liberated in 1637. :pir-wink: )

Could you please explain

this link: here

and this link: here

I was under the impression these where the Tercios you where talking about.

Or am I mistaken?

Kind regards,

Teddy

Dear mister blue Beard,

Yes, but I was not talking about the dates but the military capacities of the hispanic monarchy against the Dutch rebels :pir-tongue:

Could you please explain

Or am I mistaken?

Interesting links! :pir-sweet: The talk a bit about the Tercios but they're esentially about the Spanish Marine Infantry (oldest in the world! :pir-devil:) created from the old Tercios of Infantry.

When I was saying the spanish Tercios were the best infantry the world has ever know I did not pretend to say there have never been a better one than them. Just saying that no one else have been so efficient and powerful in his time. :pir-grin: Of course, infantries like the greek, macedonian, roman and of course the french or the english ones in the colonial period were the best infantries in their own time but were no so efficient.

An that's because they were created as independents units needing no support from the rest of the army (excepting the heavy artillery, of course). They were composed of three kind of soldiers (that's why they were called Tercios, from "tres", the latin word meaning three): pikesmen, swordmen and crossbowman (rifleman later) fighting at the same time and be capable to beat any kind of enemy (cavalry, infantry and pikesmen even...)

Dear mister blue Beard,

Could you please explain

Or am I mistaken?

Kind regards,

Teddy

Ah you're beginning to remind me of Col. Whipstick, were did our good Col. go anyway....?

The Spanish just were lucky for us being such an unorganized bunch for 80 years :pir-grin:

Nice find Joey, i like those torso's as artillerie men. :thumbup:

Really funny you posted these pictures BlueBard, because I took them two days ago, uploaded them to brickshelf and now see them here again :pir-blush: . I just recently started to gain interest in Lego (again since my childhood). And wanted to make some pictures with my old lego, so these were the first pictures and this is the first time that i'm posting on this forum. Ps. I'm a Dutchman and haven't really studied the colours of the spanish flag during the 16th century, so thank you for your education! :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by BeerEend

Really funny you posted these pictures BlueBard, because I took them two days ago, uploaded them to bricklink and now see them here again :pir-blush: . I just recently started to gain interest in Lego (again since my childhood). And wanted to make some pictures with my old lego, so these were the first pictures and this is the first time that i'm posting on this forum. Ps.

Welcome back to the Lego Mania then! :pir-wink:

I'm a Dutchman and haven't really studied the colours of the spanish flag during the 16th century, so thank you for your education! :pir-cry_happy:

You're welcome! :pir-sweet: