Yatkuu

An internet tale Winchester/Shaun of the Dead project on CUUSOO

Hello everyone...

I just wanted to share with the community what has happened to me these past few hours...

2 weeks ago I posted here a MOC of "the Winchester" - the pub that is featured in the movie Shaun of the Dead. I posted the MOC here on EB, on MOC page & my Flickr. I got some great feedbacks from the community... so far nothing unusual and after a few days things were starting to cool down... until someone decided to blog it/tweet it and it started a snow ball effect (no idea who started it all).

In a matter of a few hours my Flickr got thousands of hits... and yesterday both Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright tweeted my MOC. Yes, you can read that last sentence again, it's true. Needless to say I did not sleep last night.

My MOC was featured on several websites, not sure I got them all:

The Collider

Nerds Raging

io9.com

The Daily WH

Awesome Robo

So... what happens next? Given the enthusiasm this thing is creating on the net I have decided to submit the build on CUUSOO I'm thinking Lego could turn this into a modular house that would fit the existing line of exclusives. Now if this thing works I have no idea if Lego would be willing to go all the way and make a licensed set... I guess future will tell.

I'm trying to reach out to Simon & Edgar to let them know about this, if they really dig this build I'm guessing that it would only take them another tweet to reach the necessary amount of supporters (another minecraft?).

I have also reached out to Will Chapman (Brickarms) in order to keep him in the loop as it is clear to me that their customs are for a good part responsible for this success.

I'm posting this story here for several reasons, first I really need to share this but secondly I would like to hear your opinions and advices.

..oh and if you feel like voting for the project on CUUSOO I'd also be grateful!

Update 28/MAR/12: This (very long) thread contains all the various updates I have been sharing with the community since this whole thing started a few months ago, it's been quite a ride and as the post title says "an internet tale" that isn't over! I just wanted to update the first post here with the project last pictures (this is the second version of the build with 3 detailed floors. Thanks for watching and for your support!

6985593817_3ae5abf155.jpg

The Winchester 2.0 by Yatkuu, on Flickr

teamr.jpg

win-anim-2sf.gif

...and my friend Pixel Fox and myself recently also presented here a mini scaled version of the build...

7018678451_b0794acb0b.jpg

The mini-Win - front by Yatkuu, on Flickr

Edited by Yatkuu

That's awesome! This sounds a little cheesy since I don't know you, but good for you! That kind of exposure is awesome.

That's awesome. I remember that MOC, it definitely had a strong resemblance. Granted I haven't seen the movie since it came out.

Good luck with everything.

Good luck! I think it's awesome that you've gotten such great feedback. I've been meaning to check out CUUSOO. I think I will now.

I think that Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright are people that know they wouldn't be where they were without the fan community, and since the days of Spaced have always been good about reaching out to fans - even though Simon is now a superhollywoodmegastar it's great to see he's still taking an interest...

I don't know if Lego would ever release a bar - it's not quite the child-friendly thing they're looking for - but I really like your modular pub regardless of the movie connection!

I'd be sharing this, too. That's a cool story. :thumbup: After looking over your MOC, I'd totally buy that if it were released, nice job!

Congrats on getting some exposure that way, I liked you're pub MOC when I saw it a few days ago.

I don't know if Lego would ever release a bar - it's not quite the child-friendly thing they're looking for - but I really like your modular pub regardless of the movie connection!

They might, the building in The London Escape from POTC looks rather like a bar to me (I haven't seen the movie so I might be wrong), I see glasses and a barrel with a tap on it in there.

Your MOC is brilliant (for an equally brilliant movie), so it isn't surprising that it received such positive feedback. But to have Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright tweet about it, that goes beyond cool. Congratulations.

I am also supporting on Cuusoo.

Thank you for the feedbacks and support!

It's too soon to know how this thing will turn out but I'll keep posting updates in the thread.

I'm already very happy to share with you that Brickarms is supporting the project (thank you Will!) - again, I don't know what will be Lego's position regarding the use of custom accessories but IMO CUUSOO is an initiative directed at the fan community, customs are important to us and that's something they should be aware of.

The next move is now to make everything I can to contact Simon/Edgar and convince them that it's a deal they cannot loose...

That's it guys, "this s*** just got real" (to quote Nicholas Angel in Hot Fuzz and in order to stay in the theme!)

The Winchester just got blogged by none other than Edgar Wright himself, the Director of Shaun of the Dead.

I have no idea what is going to happen with the CUUSOO project but you can check the page here.

The story got also featured on the following sites (in addition to the above mentionned):

World Strangest

Another post on Nerds Raging

and on "The Zed Word"

Stay tuned...

Edited by Yatkuu

Awesome story! I'm really happy for you, your MOC is excellent and so nerdy! What are you waiting for, build something out of Sandford! For the greater good!

Quick update...

The "Win" has now been blogged all around the net, both on English/American and French sites... (you may want to try a google search on "Shaun+Lego").

Yesterday there was a post on "Allocine.fr" (yes, it is a big deal!)

I was contacted by a British TV channel - Sky - they want to feature the pictures in their show "35mm" - seriously!

Simon Pegg has made another tweet tonight, I quote:

"Let's make Lego real! bit.ly/xfK3Pu"

This is just huge... we have a hollywood superstar asking his followers to support a LEGO project!!! I'm sure this kind of story can only improve the visibility of our hobby!

The CUUSOO project is now really taking off!

Well done. Hope this MOC will go all the way. The publicity is fantastic, and if you keep it going, you might even get a sponsor! :tongue:

:oh3: Wow! That's fantastic! Does it also mean that they are Lego fans? :look: Edited by JackJonespaw

Its a great MOC, I hope one of them buys it from you or commissions a second one. That would be pretty cool.

In a similar vein, I always wondered what one of the Pythons like Terry Gilliam would think of my Crimson Permanent Assurance.

I think you may have just become the most famous AFOL ever! I hope this snowball keeps rolling for you. Don't stop you now! :laugh: I'll gladly follow this

:laugh::laugh::sweet:

Congratulations on the well deserved publicity. I saw when Simon Pegg tweeted your MOC and thought it was fantastic. I actually did a Lego version of the cast of Community and got retweeted by Alison Brie. It was my 15 minutes of Twitter fame :)

6482129919_849d1ca2cf.jpg

Edited by newwavejunkie

Just supported this on Cussoo. Quoted the interior, colours, and figs as reasons I would buy. Said I would pay USD $175.

Dakar

This is cool, Shaun of the dead is a great and funny movie. Congratulations. Cause thats a great moc of it. :classic: