Bonaparte

Reminder: 800x600px is our max picture size!

Friendly reminder to all members:

Please note that the Eurobricks site guidelines don't allow images larger than 800x600px. Larger images really slow things for those without ultra fast internet connections. From now on we'll be more strict on this, so please take care your pictures are not too big.

If you don't know how to resize images, here's a tutorial on how to do so in MS Paint. You can also set your camera to 800x600px so you don't need to resize the pictures.

Thanks!

What can I do with my LDD screenshots - they are larger than 800x600? Should I crop/resize them too? It could influence .png background transparency, which is not really desired.

What can I do with my LDD screenshots - they are larger than 800x600? Should I crop/resize them too? It could influence .png background transparency, which is not really desired.

Try www.picresize.com

By the way, I think this is a great user of the announcement system, this happens more often than it should

Yes, please. If you use a good program it shouldn't have any/much influence. Which program do you normally use for resizing pics? Irfanview is one that I use of often (allows for batch resizes) that delivers good quality. There's also GIMP and others that are free and good.

I has been using PhotoFiltre earlier, but now I think I can use FastStone Image Viewer and/or Adobe Photoshop.

Edited by -N13OS-

I has been using PhotoFiltre earlier, but now I think I can use FastStone Image Viewer and/or Adobe Photoshop.

Photoshop will work for sure. Crop before you resize, though, so you don't have too much empty space around your photo.

It is okay about photos. I only have questions about LDD screenshots that are in .png format and has transparent background.

As long as you save them in a format that supports transparency (commonly .png or .gif) and leave the background transparent while editing, you'll be fine.

It does helps! Thanx, Brickdoctor! However, thumbnails in my Brickshelf folder after re-uploading the screenies are a bit glitchy.

Edited by -N13OS-

Btw, would those screen-shots be deeplinked (=immediately visible in a discussion thread by using img-tags) or do you only provide only a link? In case of a link the pics is ok to be bigger than 800x600.

Bonaparte, I have a principle that important pictures must be displayed in the topic, and not very important should be spoilered and/or linked. =)

You can visit any of my MOC topic to see it by yourself. However, I have lots of LDD MOCs for now, and most of them has been screen-shoted and posted here, and it will be tough to re-size them all.

Edited by -N13OS-

Btw, would those screen-shots be deeplinked (=immediately visible in a discussion thread by using img-tags) or do you only provide only a link? In case of a link the pics is ok to be bigger than 800x600.

The way people on this site use the term "deeplink" always confuses me. On other sites I've been a part of, "deeplink" just means linking straight to the picture like this, as opposed to linking to a page containing the picture like this. Whereas here, I've seen people use "deeplink" to mean what I usually hear called "embedding"-- that is, including the image in your post like this:

4552302.jpg

I've kind of gotten the hang of looking at context to tell whether people mean linking or embedding when they say "deeplink", but it still causes me some confusion, and I'm wondering whether either naming convention is more universally accepted than the other. Wikipedia seems to support the definition of deeplink I've heard elsewhere, so at least I know I'm not crazy and there is a naming discrepancy.

You can visit any of my MOC topic to see it by yourself. However, I have lots of LDD MOCs for now, and most of them has been screen-shoted and posted here, and it will be tough to re-size them all.

In this special case, I suggest you leave your historic LDD MOC topics as they (the pics are not massively oversized) and use the max pic size of 800x600px for all new topics.

The way people on this site use the term "deeplink" always confuses me. On other sites I've been a part of, "deeplink" just means linking straight to the picture like this, as opposed to linking to a page containing the picture like this. Whereas here, I've seen people use "deeplink" to mean what I usually hear called "embedding"-- that is, including the image in your post like this:

4552302.jpg

I've kind of gotten the hang of looking at context to tell whether people mean linking or embedding when they say "deeplink", but it still causes me some confusion, and I'm wondering whether either naming convention is more universally accepted than the other. Wikipedia seems to support the definition of deeplink I've heard elsewhere, so at least I know I'm not crazy and there is a naming discrepancy.

I think you are right; the term 'embedded' is probably more fitting. I'll go with that one from now on, thanks!

I think the "deeplink" in relation to this site often refers to mainly photo's posted on Brickshelf. If you link to a folder or photo page you have just uploaded then no-one else can see it till it's moderated (could take a couple days). However, if you link to the actual .jpg file on Brickshelf it is immediately viewable by all.

On another similar note, does this forum software have an option where quoting someone else will not include images? I've seen it on other forums and it may cut down a lot of excess images where someone has quoted an entire post with a dozen images in order to put in the comment "Wub :wub: " at the bottom. I realise you could ask people not to do that but in reality people still will.

On another similar note, does this forum software have an option where quoting someone else will not include images? I've seen it on other forums and it may cut down a lot of excess images where someone has quoted an entire post with a dozen images in order to put in the comment "Wub :wub: " at the bottom. I realise you could ask people not to do that but in reality people still will.

Surely it can't be very difficult to highlight a bunch of text and then press 'Delete'; in fact, I did it just now.

This is a little trick that works quite well for me and I use quite often:

1. Upload a high-res image to Brickshelf (I usually go for 1600x1200)
  2. Get the deeplink URL of the image
    eg. 'http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/slfroden/ForumPic/Reviews/Lesson1/002.jpg'

3. Replace the double '//' with a single '/'
    eg. 'http:/www.brickshelf.com/gallery/slfroden/ForumPic/Reviews/Lesson1/002.jpg'

4. Add 'http://i.tinysrc.mobi/800/600/' in front of the deep link URL
    eg. http://i.tinysrc.mobi/800/600/http:/www.brickshelf.com/gallery/slfroden/ForumPic/Reviews/Lesson1/002.jpg'

5. Add the image to the EB forum using the Insert Image option in the toolbar
    eg. [img=http://i.tinysrc.mobi/800/600/http:/www.brickshelf.com/gallery/slfroden/ForumPic/Reviews/Lesson1/002.jpg]

6. Add a link around the image that goes to the original deeplink version on Brickshelf
    eg. [url="http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/slfroden/ForumPic/Reviews/Lesson1/002.jpg"][img=http://i.tinysrc.mobi/800/600/http:/www.brickshelf.com/gallery/slfroden/ForumPic/Reviews/Lesson1/002.jpg][/url]

The advantages of this are:

• You only have to upload one file to the internet
  • TinySRC automatically resizes your picture for you so you don't have to to this yourself
  • You can still link to the original high-res image
  • You stay within the EB Member Guidelines

You can also adjust the '/800/600/' part of the URL to resize the image to different sizes.

Update: It looks like TinySRC is no longer offering this service anymore :thumbdown:

Edited by Splat

I really do hope everyone sticks to the max size. Nothing annoys me more than having that huge picture load for no real benefit at all. Splat that's such a great tip! I think that should be created into a more in depth tutorial and placed into the index. :thumbup:

Is there a quick way to use this trick while automatically retaining the original aspect ratio of the image?

Calculator. :grin:

I remember somebody mentioning this in the RA, and I think it was discouraged there because if the tinysrc site goes down, you have no images.

Is there a quick way to use this trick while automatically retaining the original aspect ratio of the image?

Short answer is no.

Resizing, what's that?

Flickr does it automatically, giving you five or six sizes in all, including 800x600 and the 100x100 thumbnail sizes.

TinySRC will keep the original aspect ratio. So if you specify '/800/600/' the image will be resized to fit within an 800 x 600 box, but keep it's aspect ratio. It will also only shrink images, it won't make them bigger.

I remember somebody mentioning this in the RA, and I think it was discouraged there because if the tinysrc site goes down, you have no images.

I was the one that mentioned it in the RA forum too. I don't know if TinySRC's use was 'discouraged', but rather the pros and cons were discussed. The only con is that if TinySRC does go down then the images won't show up, but the original image URL is still there as part of the resized URL, so you can always get back to your original image if you need to and edit the image URL. I've been using TinySRC for about a year with no problems so far.

Flickr does it automatically, giving you five or six sizes in all, including 800x600 and the 100x100 thumbnail sizes.

Yes, if you're using Flickr then you don't need to worry about resizing or using TinySRC, you just have to make sure you embed the correct image size on the EB forum. But if you use BrickShelf (or other hosting), then the images still need to be resized for EB.

If the EB Mods would like me to write this TinySRC tip up into a more comprehensive tutorial (if it's use is not 'discouraged'), then please send me a PM and I'd be happy to do so.

Update: It looks like TinySRC is no longer offering this service anymore :thumbdown:

Edited by Splat

Does TinySRC still load the entire image though, only re sizing it visually? If the webpage still has to load the entire file (size) then it doesn't help.