Sign in to follow this  
jluck

Enrolling in Creating a Brick Flick: Part 1 - Pre Production

Ok so I have begun brick filming as many of you know. I have posted my wip video a few times and gotten tremendous feedback. As I want to use the resources made available here I thought I am taking the advice of the instructors an enrolling in the lessons. Please note: as we all are, I am severely limited on time so I will post each piece as I go.

My idea for a short film is as follows:

Comedy about a guy who is fixing his hair and getting frustrated. He changed styles several times, all to end with putting on a hat as he walks out.

I will return with the next step in the lesson.

Thanks for enrolling!

I look forward to seeing your full entry-thing, but I do have one question.

Would you rather me give feedback on each part, or wait until the end and do it all at once?

For now, I'll assume the former.

While the idea is nothing spectacular, I think with the right execution and creativity it could be pretty good.

One thing that you want to nail down is the tone on the short. Comedy, yes, but is it over-the-top, and if so, how much? Is it realistic, but with a more satire-type humor? Or will it attempt to use dark-humor in some way? Remember, it's not always the story itself that makes things original, but it's the telling of the story.

And I'm sure you've figured all that out already yourself, just don't forget to describe it in the next step.

Thanks for enrolling!

I look forward to seeing your full entry-thing, but I do have one question.

Would you rather me give feedback on each part, or wait until the end and do it all at once?

For now, I'll assume the former.

While the idea is nothing spectacular, I think with the right execution and creativity it could be pretty good.

One thing that you want to nail down is the tone on the short. Comedy, yes, but is it over-the-top, and if so, how much? Is it realistic, but with a more satire-type humor? Or will it attempt to use dark-humor in some way? Remember, it's not always the story itself that makes things original, but it's the telling of the story.

And I'm sure you've figured all that out already yourself, just don't forget to describe it in the next step.

You can certainly give me feedback as I go! You'll have to forgive me for working slowly. I just started my first teaching job at the local high school and I am a bit overwhelmed! :wink:

I won't forget about this project, I just may come around slowly.

Now on to your advice. I was thinking the tone would be a bit over-the-top. Likely, the hair changes will be major, not realistic in any way. One hair style may be some extreme goofy style, such as a cat on the figures head. It will also be a bit dry, ending with an obvious use of the hat after all of the frustration.

The story arc will be roughly as follows:

character walks in the room and starts getting ready for the day.

He gets dressed, commenting on the outfits, all of which are remarkably similar.

He starts to fix his hair, each time acting increasingly frustrated with the results. Each hair style is more outlandish than the previous one.

Finally, he settles on a style, angels sing, music plays, all is well...and he puts on a hat and walks out.

The end :blush:

Were you waiting to post the next part until after I commented? If so, I am so very sorry.

I like the over-the-top ideas like the cat on the head, and the angel singing is a nice touch.

Also, the way you wrote the summary is great, I can easily imagine the pacing, timing and 'feel' of the short, and it makes the idea sound pretty good.

Have you made any progress on the pre-production elements since your last post? Storyboards, sets, character designs, Ect.?

It's been a month and a half, so I sure hope you've got some more for me to grade.

That being said, (And I know this is partly my fault.) I think with a lesson like this, progress should be reported/updated a bit more often.

I know brickfilming takes time, but this (For all I know) hasn't even gotten to the scripting phase yet, and the longer things drag out, the more likely that they won't get finished.

After all, you do kinda want to get this done and over right? Again, I haven't been a good example of that, and I'm sorry.