ELItheICEman

worklog: rcx / dacta controlled aquazone diorama

This project is the culmination of everything I have ever wanted to build. The Aquazone theme will always hold a special place in my heart, and Lego Technic and Mindstorms have solidified my lifetime addiction to Lego. I know this is a bit of a blast from the past using rcx's but they are cheap (as am I) and readily available on ebay. Not to mention they fit the color scheme ;). I got 10 between 2 ebay auctions and after a few hours of cleaning battery acid and a few solder joints i was left with 6 working units. I sold off some of my collection (bye bye maersk train), mostly minifigs to finance my ebay findings (hello dacta control center). Most of the Aquazone sets were bought years ago on ebay once I got my first job, I was able to snag one of most every original aquazone sets that i couldn't afford as a kid. Now that the history is out of the way on to the building!

Features so far include:

2 sets of LED's given a random power level every 10ms, to give a nice flicker effect in the cave.

1 Lamp (more coming from bricklink!), randomly goes between power level 6 and 7 on a slow cycle. This is designed to catch the eye and add realism. Cant wait to get more to light the entire model.

Power station in back powered by classic 9v non-geared motor, The propellors spin at different speeds thanks to different sized pulleys mounted on smooth axles, the smooth axles a carefully pushed through the friction pins of the propellors.

Automatic air compressor using a rotation sensor to stop at max pressure, and a touch sensor and pneumatic cylinder to trigger start at min pressure. Also features manual override touch sensor to start again.

Power functions RC robotic arm, doesnt quite fit in yet, but it will eventually, again this is a work in progress.

The picture below is an overview of a somewhat recent picture, for the most recent work check out the brickshelf link. I will eventually post a video of the completed model without all the technical jargon. But if you are in to technical jargon the youtube videos below go in to detail as the model has progressed.

20141104_214558.jpg

Brickshelf Folder

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=546905

Worklog Videos with Commentary

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

part 6 Edited by ELItheICEman

Well, I just made my last edit to my post on this project. I uploaded one last video and a few pictures on brickshelf of the deconstruction and sorting. It was a fun project, but a little too ambitious for my current situation (Inventory, space, time etc.). Mods feel free to move this topic to the technic forum seeing as how it leans more to that theme. Stay tuned for some aquazone MOC's in the future ;)

Nice how did you get you interface working?

Nice Screen name ;). Here is a link to some information, and the program I am using to control the unit live (Great diagnostic tool). http://lgauge.com/ Scroll down and download LEGOInterfaceBexe.zip. You must use the official lego cable or a Null Modem cable with a gender adapter (I had to make my own). If you want to program the Interface B I would recommend finding a copy of RoboLab (Just sold my copy but it comes up on ebay from time to time). I plan on making some videos with tips and tricks for the classic Lego 9V system, Information is out there but not in video form. Good Luck! If you have any questions feel free to PM me