5970_review_title.jpg

Name: Freeze Ray Frenzy

Set: 5970

Theme: Space Police (III)

Year: 2009

Pieces: 80

Minifigs: 2

Price: USD 9.99 (10.99 @ TRU)

Hello there! :classic: Welcome to one of the first SP3 reviews! Since member Mania3 has found many of the 2009 summer sets in Legoland California, I figured they would pop up in TRU soon as well, so I went there every day ever since. And last Friday, they finally had them. Besides this set, they also had 5971 and 5972, along with all the new City, Agents, Power Miners, and Racers sets.

Because I didn't want to spend too much money, I only got this set and a small Agents 2.0 set. Anyhoo, let's get started, shall we?

The Box

The box is the same size as that of 8967 Gold Tooth's Getaway.

p1050330_small.jpg

p1050331_small.jpg

p1050336_small.jpg

On the side of the box, you can find an ad for a Lego Space videogame. You can discuss the ad here.

p1050335_small.jpg

Content

Inside the box, there are two bags, a loose engine piece, the instructions, and a sticker sheet.

p1050339_small.jpg

Note that my engine piece came with hardened glue drops on it which I had to peal off. :hmpf_bad:

p1050347_small.jpg

Notable pieces include the new fire piece and the new flick-fire missile holder piece.

p1050345_small.jpg

Minifigs

The two minifigs included in this set are Kranxx and a Space Police officer with sunglasses, and they are the only printed pieces in the set. Both have very detailed leg printing. Kranxx' mouth is a hole that goes right into the stud hole of his head. This allows you to see the white stripe on his neck through his mouth. The head itself seems to be made out of the same plastic as normal minifig heads.

p1050349_small.jpg

From the side (with the officer's visor down):

p1050351_small.jpg

The backs have printing as well. Note that I removed the air tanks of the officer for this pic.

p1050352_small.jpg

The Set

First, you build the stop sign and traffic light. Not much to show here. The traffic light has studs all around it so that you can add more "lights" to it if you want.

p1050354_small.jpg

Next, you build the cop's hoverbike.

p1050367_small.jpg

p1050358_small.jpg

p1050359_small.jpg

p1050360_small.jpg

p1050361_small.jpg

With the minifig on it:

p1050369_small.jpg

p1050373_small.jpg

p1050372_small.jpg

The engine on the back of the bike can turn 360 degrees and the missile launchers can be pulled out and used as a hand held weapon for the space cop. Those missiles are supposed to be the freeze rays mentioned in the title of the set. Don't ask me why they are called rays when they are actually missiles. :wacko: It makes about as much sense as the side turrets of the Clone Wars AAT being FFMs. :hmpf_bad:

p1050375_small.jpg

The last thing you build is Kranxx' pimped-out Hot Rod Hoverbike. It is made up of two parts.

p1050378_small.jpg

p1050377_small.jpg

p1050379_small.jpg

p1050380_small.jpg

p1050381_small.jpg

Here are some pics of the top and bottom. Note that I turned the fire piece 90 degrees to make it look better. If you don't change it, the fire piece just looks like an orange line, like in the Back pic above.

p1050382_small.jpg

p1050384_small.jpg

With the minifig:

p1050388_small.jpg

p1050386_small.jpg

Left-Over Pieces

p1050394_small.jpg

Bonus

First, here is a little movie reference:

p1050357-small.jpg

And secondly, here is a little head-swapping: Kranxx after a sex change, and bad-boy Ahsoka.

p1050391_small.jpg

More pics in the Brickshelf folder.

Stay tuned for my ratings! :classic:

Edited by KimT

Bad guy vehicle? :tongue: EDIT: OK, it's there now.

Ok, first, I wish the SP torsos would be more detailed- something on the level of the Dino Attack torsos. I never liked the theme, but the torsos were great. These seem a little bland. Maybe if they put in black arms, instead. :sceptic:

I was expecting a little more from the speeder bike- I'm not too sure at the moment.

Great review! You made me want this set even more :tongue: Also in Star Trek the new movie (this isn't a spoiler) Young kirk gets pulled over by a futuristic space cop on a flying hovercraft. It reminded me of this set :grin:

Woo! The reviews commence!

Great review, really nice pics. Thanks Oky!

The set itself isn't doing much for me but I am loving these SP aliens!

What plastic is the Alien's head made of? Is it normal ABS or the softer kind?

Edited by kill will

What plastic is the Alien's head made of? Is it normal ABS or the softer kind?

It's not soft, probably standard ABS.

Hooray! Thanks for the review, Oky Wan. I really love TLC using the trike chassis for the base of the police craft, and the staggered jumper plates for Kranx are nice, rather than having them both on one side. I can't wait for you to finish this, so get to work! :angry::grin::tongue:

The reviews have begun!

This isn't my favorite SP3 set but I do like it. And personally, I like the Police figs. They're not incredibly detailed, but as a result they're very versatile. I could see many uses for them in minifigs.

I think this set would be fun to play with even if it isn't a masterpiece.

Edited by Algernon

I thought the one with the green alien that has four arms is called "Freeze Ray Frenzy" Because that alien just "happens" to be named "Frenzy". Originally this was going to be called "Some Space Cop on Lunch Break Chasing Kranxx Down a Highway After he Ran a Stopsign" :pir-grin:

Edited by YG-49

Nice review. The alien minifig is great, but the rest of the set is nothing remarkable. The traffic signs are a cool addition. It looks like this chase is supposed to be occurring on the ground. I would have liked to see a small windscreen on at least the alien ship though, and there are too many stickers as well. At least the computer panel should have been printed.

This is probably the only SP3 set I will end up passing on (though Squidman's Pit Stop looks pretty weak as well). I will get Kranxx in the Galactic Enforcer set, so this one seems kind of redundant. The vehicles do nothing for me. It is a cheaper way to get that awesome alien fig though.

Wait a minute... Where is the Freeze ray?

Good point!

What is the freeze ray? Who is frenzied?

:wacko:

What is the freeze ray? Who is frenzied?

I think the Blacktron ship IS the freeze ray.

Great review Oky, awesome to see that these sets are coming in. I quite like tihjs set, but I think it is the weakest of the Space Police ones. That said, the figs are fantastic, why is it only now that TLC is releasing figs so useful for post apoc!? Kranxx is great, I'll find many uses for him. The actual set isn't anything special, but I won't buy it for that reason anyway.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

a Nice review of a cool set ! I love the new alien, he's very cool, and the "colours comparison" you did is great!

EDIT : I didn't notice the red light, but it's very interesting with it 3 1x1 with stud everywhere!

Edited by Guss

Very neat.

I love the hoverbikes.

And theres defintly some unconventional construction techniques being used in here (for an official model).

I only wish Kranxx's head didn't have a hole through the mouth, having the minifig torso neck stud visible through there might be odd in some situations.

That's a pretty neat idea to use the bike frame in reverse. I think the best part is the alien minifig. I see it has a potential use in the star wars universe.

Thanks for the review. All the information I can get will help me decide which sets to buy when I'm in Canada this August.

Is it just me or does the Space Policeman have Dash's head? From the Arctic Alpha Team sets a few... (four :oh3: ... ) years ago?

Who is frenzied?
Well, "Four-Arms" is called Frenzy

Oh, and don't tell me you're watching that stupid cooking show!

I'm definitley getting this one, I would have gotten it if Kranxx still had the Inferno henchman torso.

Goodbye...

*The one dissing Masterchef*

Great review! Thanks. I think this set is awesome, and I am going to buy less Star Wars sets (not less than SP) to get all of the Space Police sets! I want the whole collection..and then the space MOCing starts!

By the way, in your BS folder there was a pic of the box, it said "LEGO Space: The Videogame [NINTENDO DS]"

I guess a new game is coming.. Thanks again, for the review..! :classic:

Thanks for the review!! I'm really looking forward to seeing these sets on the shelves...

Can't wait to get my hands on that alien, so many potential uses, especially in the Star WArs universe, Lego are upping their game on every theme right now.

Not so sure about the Space Police officer though - but dull and unimaginative I'd say, not a patch on Futuron or Blacktron.