• 1 - Poor

Pirates Cannon Battle

Set #: 6239

Theme: Pirates 2009

Year Released: 2008

Piece Count: 45

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $6 (USD)

The smallest of the new Pirates theme, 6239 offers a lot of playability for such a small set.

Starting with the box, the same boxart as previously reviewed Pirate sets:

01box1.jpg Front

02box2.jpg Back

This small set includes two great figs, an Imperial Guard (my favorite), and one pirate with green striped shirt:

03figs1.jpg Front

04figs2.jpg Back

The set includes one treasure map, a rifle, two swords, and a few extra pieces:

05access.jpg

The torch or lighter for the cannon is a great little design. Attaching the new gold telescope to a brown rod, a new fire piece looks as if the wind is blowing the flame:

06torch.jpg

The set includes a small little wall that breaks apart when hit by a cannon brick:

07wall1.jpg

Here's the simple but effective construction of the breaking wall:

08wall2.jpg

I love the new firing cannon. The small piece in the back can be pulled just slightly and when it bounces back, it pushes the hollow cannon brick (round 1x1):

09can1.jpg

Another view of the cannon. I want to attach a horse to it to pull the cannon around:

10can2.jpg

Here's the two opposing forces as they attack one another:

11set1.jpg

And lastly, the complete set:

12set1.jpg

Final Thoughts

As the smallest set in the new Pirates theme, Cannon Battle is a great little inexpensive set. I had to pick up two of these to get a few of the great red-coat Imperial Guards, which will no doubt find their way to 6242 Soldiers Fort. The break-away wall is just OK, but the cannon, a real beauty. For a $6 USD set, I think it's worth the 45 pieces. Hope you enjoy this review. My next build is a lot larger.

Thanks for the review! This a very cool set! It has a canon and 2 minifgis with it! It is really worth its value :pir-skull: Thanks for the review again TheBrickster :pir_laugh2:

Arrr! Where are you people getting these pirate sets!? Great review though, I have to get one of those new soldiers.

Two reviews in the same night, I can tell someone likes the new Pirate sets. :pir-sweet:

This set reminds me a good deal of Crossbow Attack and partly due to this similarity, I rated this a five. At $6, there is a good amount of fun to be had, along with two great minifigs and a shooting cannon.

One question: How is this the smallest set in the theme when there are two impulse sets?

Thanks for the review again TheBrickster :pir_laugh2:

You bet Pr0visorak. You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed the review.

Arrr! Where are you people getting these pirate sets!?

My local ToysRUs had a few of them today. It's funny, I've been calling for a few weeks now, and they always tell me NO. Today I found them on the store shelf after just calling yesterday.

Two reviews in the same night, I can tell someone likes the new Pirate sets. :pir-sweet:

I sure do. I missed out on these the first round (except for a few sets that were gifts). Now I'm playing "Make-Up".

One question: How is this the smallest set in the theme when there are two impulse sets?

I haven't seen the impulse sets yet. I suppose I stand corrected.

I haven't seen the impulse sets yet. I suppose I stand corrected.

Check out the review done by NewRight in the Academy. Or maybe you shouldn't as I'm sure you'll want to go splurge on those after reading it. :pir_laugh2:

This is the smallest Pirate set that includes both factions in one box, though.

Check out the review done by NewRight in the Academy. Or maybe you shouldn't as I'm sure you'll want to go splurge on those after reading it. :pir_laugh2:

Awesome! The review is a nice one that I missed. Thanks for pointing it out to me. TRU never seems to have Impulse sets though and they didn't have them today. Any set with the Imperials is a nice one though. I will stock up when available. :pir-blush:

This is an excellent set-- a great army builder and a good way to get some cannons. I wish it had two flintlock weapons instead of only only one though!

I just Checked US Toys r us Site and they got 4 Sets! go get them! no ships but its cannon battle, Krackin Attackin Raft, Loot Island and some other one i forgot :/

Thanks for yet another great review TheBrickster. I love the look of this little set. you are right, these new cannons are very cool, and I like the pieces here, such as the new flame, foliage, shiny cannon and figs. I'll definitely be getting this.

Batbrick Away! :pir-devil:

This looks like a wonderful mini-set. Thanks for the review and pictures! :pir_laugh2:

I noticed in mine that the directions said to put the goatee head on the pirate body and the stubble head on the Imperial Soldier body, lol. That's the opposite from the box art.

I noticed in mine that the directions said to put the goatee head on the pirate body and the stubble head on the Imperial Soldier body, lol. That's the opposite from the box art.

Mine too. The instructions are different than the picture on the box.

Excellent review and it looks a great set, however I'm not sure I like the cannon and it's carriage it seems much to big to me, could you perhaps post a picture of the old Wild West one against the new one?

Damn Americans :pir_laugh2: You must you get everything early! :pir-tongue:

Anyway thanks Brick-man! I quite like this set, a good BP, it is cheaper than buying two impulses :pir-sceptic: I think..

Can't wait! :pir-cry_happy:

Thanks for the review!

This set looks great, it's an easy and cheap way to get an Imperial soldier and a cannon! I'm sure many people here will buy not just 1, but many copies of this set! :jollyroger::pir-sweet:

Great review. I saw this at Toys R Us, but I decided to go with the Loot Island set instead. The crazy thing is that this set is $6(USD) while the impluse sets are $5!! :hmpf_bad: After seeing both, I'd much rather spend the extra dollar and get two minifigs and a cannon.

It's a nice review that shows all the sides of the set. I just have to say that the shooting cannon is anything but new - sure, it's shinier than ever, but I have four of five cannons with the shooting function from my old LEGO sets (Pirates and Wild West). I heard somewhere that the US version of those sets came with non-shooting cannons, though, so that might've given you the allusion that the shooting function is something new. :wink:

Argh such strong temptation! This review bought me over to the Pirates, and once it reaches my place I'm going to grab at least 5 of this :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for the awesome review, thumbs up!

A very fine review indeed! :pir-blush:

This is a very fine pirate set, which reminds me of the castle equivalent, of Crossbow attack. This set is great for building armies for both sides. This is an enjoyable playset, which have great accessories, such as the 2 x green plant, cannon and weapons. I am looking forward to buy this set once its offically released. Thanks for the review. :pir-sweet:

Thanks for the review, and the very clear pictures! :pir_laugh2: For a six dollar set, this is very mini figure heavy! It is also nice to see a good beefy selection of exclusive mini-fig accessories. Might have to pick this one up to check out the new telescope.

Thank you for that nice review, TheBrickster. :thumbup:

A perfect little set indeed with fine MFs, an useful cannon and some neat goodies

like that treasure map and the small vegetation. :pir-sweet:

Another excellent review of another brilliant little set! :thumbup:

New dark green rag wrap. Shooting cannon in the US (yes, they were taken off the market here almost immediately, though I ended up with one in every 1989 set I bought, because I bought quick). Return of the classic cannon carriage. A nice new pirate. A classy new Imperial with shako. Telescope. New flame. A map.

Spare blue epaulette? That alone will run you at least a buck for a used one on Bricklink.

It's a dream come true in a $6 set.

It just keeps getting better. :pir-cry_happy: