Bionicle: The Blockbuster Movie

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:34 AM

Okay, itís pretty much established that making epic movies based on books, classic superheroes, and other existing material sells just as well as original movies. In some cases, like with the Spiderman franchise and Narnia franchise, the movies work (IMO), while in other cases, like with Transformers, the movies do not (IMO). But, it seems that as long as the movies stay to the original source material zealously, the movies end up being great. So, this gave me an idea: wouldnít it be cool if the first year of Bionicle, 2001, was taken up by some excellent, experienced director, and transformed into a blockbuster movie?

Think about it: Lush, stylized graphics based on the classic Bionicle form. Epic action sequences with powerful warriors fighting against mask-wearing monsters. A supremely evil essence unleashing his power against brave, mechanical villagers. And of course, a rich, mythology inspired storyline that heartfelt Bionicle fans and newcomers alike can enjoy.  *sweet*

Of course, the producers would have to stick to several guidelines in order to make it work: keeping the classic storyline intact, with only minor alterations; restraining from adding unnecessary side plots, and refusing to put crude humor only kids could enjoy in the movie!  >:-(

Okay, I admit it, this is reading like a critique of Transformers the movie. But in all honestly, the main thing that is on my mind is the potential epic-ness of a blockbuster movie based on Bionicle. Bionicle itself is one of the coolest things ever in the Sci-Fi Fantasy realm in recent years, and if done right, a movie could be a dream come true for many people, not to mention a plain kick-butt flick.

And hey, if the first movie did really well, there would be nothing preventing the crew that worked on it to make sequels based on years 2, 3, and so on. Starwars had 6 movies, Star Trek had at least 10, and if those did well, why not this?

So, do you think I am out of my mind, or is this something you too would love to see? I know, in reality it probably wonít happen, at least any time soon. But we can always dreamÖ  :-)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Turaga of Force

Turaga of Force
    Member: 972

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:24 AM

I agree, this could be a really cool movie.  In 2004 the BIONICLE instruction booklets had some CGI images that looked real (as opposed to seeming animated) so there is definately the potential to create a movie like this.  I would go to it in theater a bunch of times... buy it the day it came out... lol
Save lives. Go vegan.

#3 TheFrisian

TheFrisian

Member: 1992

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:47 AM

View PostGrevious, on Jan 27 2008, 02:34 AM, said:

So, this gave me an idea: wouldnít it be cool if the first year of Bionicle, 2001, was taken up by some excellent, experienced director, and transformed into a blockbuster movie?
Great idea! I would love to see (and buy the dvd of) a movie based on the original 2001 Bionicle storyline. Just try to convince TLC that this is a great idea... ;-)

#4 Deinonychus

Deinonychus

• Civil Rights Activist

Member: 518

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:00 AM

I'd be content with just yearly straight to DVD movies done by Ghost Animation, the same people who've been doing the CG for the Bionicle commercials...but a big blockbuster would rock as well Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 yellost

yellost

Member: 876

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

View PostDeinonychus, on Jan 27 2008, 07:00 AM, said:

I'd be content with just yearly straight to DVD movies done by Ghost Animation, the same people who've been doing the CG for the Bionicle commercials...but a big blockbuster would rock as well Posted Image

I agree. Though I actually prefer the Ghost Shorts to the movies. I think it's because they used the original lego versions and animated them instead of creating new ones to sort of try to give them expression and emotions... But still...
Someday, the whole Universe shall bow before my genius... or at least the cat... maybe...

And on for my Brickshelf gallery...

#6 Zaktan of the Shadows

Zaktan of the Shadows

Member: 1232

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Ooh, I'd like that. Then they could make 6 movies! (except for the Metru Nui saga) Sounds good to me. I'd love to see it.

-ZotS

Edited by Zaktan of the Shadows, 27 January 2008 - 07:09 PM.

#7 Zarkan

Zarkan

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

Great idea! I would love to see (and buy the dvd of) a movie based on the original 2001 Bionicle storyline. Just try to convince TLC that this is a great idea...

Sadly, since everything TLC makes for Bionicle is solely to promote the sets, a movie based on the original storyline won't happen if it was made by TLC itself. My idea really would be for an outsider to buy the rights to make a Bionicle movie, and work on it separate from TLC. TLC would get an initial payment and a share of the profits from the movie, and the movie makers would get the rest. However, this would only be feasable if TLC would profit from the deal as well.  :-/

I'd be content with just yearly straight to DVD movies done by Ghost Animation, the same people who've been doing the CG for the Bionicle commercials...but a big blockbuster would rock as well

Unfortunately, the problem with Bionicle kits are that they don't give much emotion right out front, so an extremely true to set design wouldn't work that great. Still, I agree that the Ghost animation is better than the actual DVD movies out right now: they never really captured the spirit of Bionicle, and the voice acting was extremely forced.  |-/

I think the best approach would be to stick with the basic set designs, and only streamline them instead of completely changing the designs. They would have to add mouths in order to convey dialogue well, but it wouldn't be hard to make the masks work around them while keeping their original shapes.  ;-)

Edited by Grevious, 27 January 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#8 TheCloneWalker

TheCloneWalker

Member: 1450

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

I believe they're already doing this for 2009-10...

#9 Zarkan

Zarkan

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:44 AM

Nah, they're just doing another mediocre straight to DVD movie for the current storyline. Not that I don't like the current storyline, but I really don't have much hope for the new movie, especially if they don't get some decent voice actors.  *sad*

#10 hewkii9

hewkii9

• Can't figure out a sigfig!

Member: 618

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

I, personally, think that when they announce an animator for the 09 movie, it should be Templar. Who didn't like those MNOG and 01 animations?

My Brickshelf - My Flickr

I was Amelia Warhog in Mafstraw Manor, Christopher Wilder in Prohibition Mafia, one half of Rocky Broomwell in Hogwarts Mafia, and Hans Keen in Eurodina!

#11 JINZONINGEN73

JINZONINGEN73

• Da Mecha Bay

Member: 516

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:16 AM

View Posthewkii9, on Jan 30 2008, 01:50 PM, said:

I, personally, think that when they announce an animator for the 09 movie, it should be Templar. Who didn't like those MNOG and 01 animations?
Indeed. I'd rather watch the 2001 mini-movies than sit through a made-for-your-little-brother, high budget, badly voice acted nightmare of incompetent boredom.

Mute, subtitled, clever, funny little islander guys For The Win.
If fluoride isn't dangerous, why was it added to the water in the Russian gulags and by the Germans during world war 2 to make the prisoners "apathetic" to what was going on around them?
Posted Imagehttp://www.astralwer...ix/default.html Posted Image

#12 Zarkan

Zarkan

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Well, I did, of course, but I thought Templar did flash animations, not CGI? And of course, flash wouldn't work for a blockbuster production, IMO.  :-P

No, I think Ghost or a company like them would have to do it. They are masters at CGI, seriously.  *y*

Edited by Grevious, 01 February 2008 - 07:19 PM.

#13 JINZONINGEN73

JINZONINGEN73

• Da Mecha Bay

Member: 516

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

Bionicle would have ROCKED as movies had the characters remained mute, with maybe just a chirp or some sound with subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

Then, it would all be less geeky... visual stories would be about action and make you think... not a bunch of lame-o catch phrases and annoying lines, voices, etc...
If fluoride isn't dangerous, why was it added to the water in the Russian gulags and by the Germans during world war 2 to make the prisoners "apathetic" to what was going on around them?
Posted Imagehttp://www.astralwer...ix/default.html Posted Image

#14 Zarkan

Zarkan

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

Bionicle would have ROCKED as movies had the characters remained mute, with maybe just a chirp or some sound with subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

Then, it would all be less geeky... visual stories would be about action and make you think... not a bunch of lame-o catch phrases and annoying lines, voices, etc...

Eh, sorry, but can't really agree with you there. Yes, I know the voices in the current bionicle movies are awful, but that was because the movie script was far worse than in the regular books and because they didn't have any good voice talent.  :-/

Also, what do you mean about visual stories being about action and making you think? I'm not sure what you mean about that....  *wacko*  

My main problem with mute Bionicles is that, IMHO, they don't really convey emotion much at all. Books only carry emotion because they have description along with dialogue, and Movies only convey emotion because of acting and voice talent, so without either it would kinda seem less hearty to me.  :-/

What this 2009 movie needs is a totally different outlook than the last 3 movies. Whoever is writing the script for them needs to be fired (and no, it's not Greg), and they need to get someone who knows how to convey emotion through the script. They also need voice talent that can convey the script well, instead of just mumbling through the whole thing (and when I mean mumbling, I mean failing to actually show any emotion at all). Unfortunatley, I just don't know if that will happen...  :-(

#15 Maleagant

Maleagant

Member: 3303

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

I would like to see a movie come to life.
I just hope it doesn't suck.
Though GregF said they're making another CG movie on the 2009 storyline.

#16 Hotshot

Hotshot

Member: 2020

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

i think more awsome thna that will be a movie about the hole 2001- 2008

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users