• 5 - Outstanding

Beach Cruisers

Set #: 6445

Theme: Island Xtreme Stunts

Year Released: 2002

Piece Count: 97

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $7 (USD)

During a trip to Legoland California in 2002, their Big Store had a neat little display of some new sets and themes including Island Xtreme Stunts. The new theme offered great colors including orange, tan, and light blue; which immediately caught my eye. The theme focussed on island fun with some adventure, and included some great figs like the Brickster. :wink:

I had to buy at least one set choosing Truck & Stunts Trike (review coming soon) at the time. The theme was short lived and many of the sets were on sale at discount toy stores not too long after their initial release. I picked up this set, 6445 Beach Cruisers for $3.33 (USD), which will be my first of three Island Xtreme Stunt reviews.

Starting with the box, a race between the Street Surfer and Skate Boarder:

01box01.jpg

The back shows some alternate models including a sail boat and jet ski:

02box2.jpg

Same image on the instructions as the box:

03inst1.jpg

But the backside shows the Island Xtreme Stunts video game for different platforms:

04inst2.jpg

The set includes a small decal sheet for the skateboard:

05decals.jpg

I love the two figs included within this set. One is a "hippie-type" with shades and leafed muscle short, and the other "Pizza Boy" skateboarder.

06figs.jpg

Check out the "Pizza Boy" on his skateboard:

07scate.jpg

Two green brackets are included for attaching each fig to the long grey bar. Using this piece, one can make the skateboarder do tricks and flips.

The "street surfer" vehicle is pretty nice to:

08cruise1.jpg

The sail is placed on a black bar and lance, then attached to the vehicle:

09sail.jpg

Here's a picture of the vehicle. To me, it has that old "soap box derby" look to it - like something kids would create to race down a hill:

10base.jpg

The vehicle doesn't have a steering wheel, but rather two levers which I think work well in the cockpit:

11back.jpg

Here's the underside:

12under.jpg

The set has three neon orange wheels that attach to technic axle pins to attach to the vehicle:

13wheels.jpg

Lastly, the entire set with a few extra pieces:

14set.jpg

Final Thoughts

While Island Xtreme Stunts is not the best City/Town sub-theme, esp. for the traditional Lego Classic Town fan, it does have some fun sets like this little beach cruiser. Good figs, a skateboard, and a very "rollable" (fun word equivalent to "swooshable" but for vehicles with wheels), vehicle. You can even blow on the sail to get it to roll across the floor.

This set is a lot of FUN!

Great review! :thumbup: I would buy the sets, but sadly TLC doesn't sell them anymore. :cry_sad: I have one question only: How can you be reviewing at this time at night!?! :oh: I would never dream of doing that! :look: Well I can't wait to see the other reviews!

I have one question only: How can you be reviewing at this time at night!?! :oh:

Thanks for your comments Lego12. I did this review a few weeks ago and just now posted it. Remember also that we are on different time zones.

I had never seen these sets before in my retail stores before. However, I do remember the existence of its video games. :tongue:

Look like an interesting set for great outdoor enterainment and fun for LEGO citizens whom is out for real thrill and excitement. This theme never really got me excited back then. After reading your review, it's quite useful for some new addition to your town features, such as including a skater boy, holding the pizza instead of using the pizza van. The high fuel cost must have caught up to them, to resort using skate board for delivery. :laugh:

As for the street surfer vehicle, it's a cool looking vehicle with unique construction. Pardon me, I have not seen such design before. I will actually tear off the wheels, cover up the sides and used it for wind surfing! That's the whole idea. :wink:

After giving some thoughts and weighs its factors, I will have to give it a "3" for this set. I will probably get it if its on sales. Once again, Brickster this is a lovely review which has showed us a new perspective of Island Xtreme Stunts. :thumbup:

Like WhiteFang I too only remember this line in computer game form. I used to love that game! :blush:

I actually have never seen a review for an xtreme stunts set, so this was nice to see.

As for the set, I think it looks pretty good. I really like the hippie guy. :tongue: The windboard thing is nice as well, but looks a bit strange somehow.

I give this set a solid 3 out of 5. Thanks for the nice review!

Edited by Erdbeereis1

Nice review.

I got this set not long after my ending of the dark ages. It was even then already on slae for just 5 euro. I like the figs and the vehicles. It were some of my first orange pieces.

The Hippie Guy is called " Snap Lockit" and the Pizza Guy is called " Pepper Roni". I think the legodesigners had a cosy evening with much beer when they thought about the names. :tongue::grin::wink:

I think this line was the only line which was made first as computergame and after that as a real line instead of the other computergames based on already existing lines.

The Hippie Guy is called " Snap Lockit" and the Pizza Guy is called " Pepper Roni". I think the legodesigners had a cosy evening with much beer when they thought about the names.

Thanks for that bit of info. I'm not familiar with the computer game or the characters, although I may have heard the name Pepper Roni. Do you know the Island Girl's name (not included in this set though)?

Her name was Sky Lane.

It's quite sad, though, to actually play the game--the "Xtreme Tower" is the only set that made it into the game itself, and it was a really watered down version of the Information Center from the first two games. But the island was, in the game, filled with incredible buildings that would have made really cool sets.