Do you know Ken Block ?

Here is his car... But in Lego !

764573P1050373.jpg

The first objective was to build a RC model. I had the idea to inculde a caster angle. In testing the first prototype, I have seen it slipped in end of curve.

So I had the idea to improve this prototype. Finally, I did the Ken Block's Ford Fiesta (from 2011, the most beautiful for me).

I made custom stickers for a better look.

It can really do drifts.

931846P1050265.jpg

570537P1050283.jpg

317531P1050279.jpg

419255P1050290.jpg

890099P1050281.jpg

726698P1050284.jpg

474220P1050289.jpg

574949P1050287.jpg

548539P1050286.jpg

728515P1050264.jpg

The steering is done by a servomotor.

563359P1050293.jpg

The driving is done by 2 L motors with a 3:1 ratio. (24t/24t/8t)

513323P1050270.jpg

The working is similar to that of a karting. There is an important caster angle. When the car is turning, thr rear interior wheel is upped. Thus there is less grip at the rear axle, and the car drifts.

666716P1050272.jpg

307249P1050274.jpg

651516P1050276.jpg

The chassis is very rigid to have a good performance.

380650P1050294.jpg

The body is easily removable.

641152P1050266.jpg

681383P1050267.jpg

The video :

I have made building instructions (pictures) : https://www.dropbox.... Block.pdf?dl=0

Very clever design, the details and stickers are really great, and i am impressed of how realistic it works, it drifts just like the real thing, nice work.

Nice idea with tilting the front axle in order to help it drift. Reminds me on how go karts work (at least the ones who I drove steered and tilted slightly)

Very impressive work!

Can it drift on other surfaces?

Thanks ! :D

The driving skills is very impressive as is the car.

Thank you ! The car is not very difficult to control but I had to restart more than 10 times some sequences to have a good result. :p

Very impressive work!

Can it drift on other surfaces?

Yes, it can drifts on tiles (in the same way as on the parquet) and similar surfaces (glass I think, tables...).

Great Idea with wheel lifting. Everyone thought that drifting is possible just with RC motors and you showed that it is possible also with L motors! Really nice video!

Max

I remember this video. Didn't you build this a year ago? It's really excellent at drifting, especially with what you did with the steering and wheel lift.

Not that age matters, but how many other people born after 2000 can build MOCs this clean?

Why the 4 rows of yellow half bushes? Get the pivot points closer to the wheels by using 4l longer liftarms and omitting the bushes. This will greatly improve the steering response and the wheels won't travel so much in the wheel wells.

Edited by nicjasno

Why the 4 rows of yellow half bushes? Get the pivot points closer to the wheels by using 4l longer liftarms and omitting the bushes. This will greatly improve the steering response and the wheels won't travel so much in the wheel wells.

I think that far pivot is have a puprose here. That car can drift. Not so ideal steering setup and wrong mechanics of drifting don't make this less cooler for me)

Thanks !

Didn't you build this a year ago?

Yes, I did.

As Victor Imaginator said, this is for increase the lift of the rear wheel. The lever done by the wheels is more important and the rear wheel can by more upped. Without the bushs, it is more difficult to drift because the rear wheel is not so much lifted.

That's some clever engineering, resulting in spectacular handing and performance. I really like your LMP car too. :)

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

Very nicely done, and it looks like tons of fun. This car is one of those I dream of making a LEGO version of, but thanks to your instructions I think I'll enjoy this one first :classic:

Nice driving and clever idea. I like it that the car drifts without special wheels like Lego's solid plastic drifting wheels.

I suppose it handles like a normal car on carpet or grippier surfaces though?

Thanks for the comments !

I suppose it handles like a normal car on carpet or grippier surfaces though?

Yes, there is too much grip to drift.

I'd like to build a Ford Focus (see other Forum entry by scynox) ... so perhaps I'm gonna use some things implemented here in this nice looking Fiesta! Nice job!!!

This is truely awesome, my 5 year old son loves watching ken B driving and has ordered me to make this for him. Its one lego rc car that looks like awesome fun and will probably take alot of batteries to master the driving skills that you have.Cheers and thanks for making the building instructions, Pete.

I first used your steering so I could do without a diff, it picks up the inside rear wheel when cornering so the diff wasn't needed. Now I find I can now get (roll induced) oversteer with the low torque RC train motor. Thank you again.

28732296891_c6997503e7.jpgRCT Car V7 by James Tillson, on Flickr

Sorry for bringing back the life to this , but I've found that lego racers 8669 "fire spinner 360" used this system back in 2006 :

go-07.png

I got to know this because I own this set and with recent research on Racers sets I found this.

Edited by LXF