Sign in to follow this  
MattGee

Greetings from England

Hello folks;

I am a recent returnee, a new AFOL / fan of Lego world, or perhaps I should say Lego Land? I had Lego as a child from about 1979 when I was only 7. Mostly I was into what I now know is referred to as 'Classic Space' and 'Town' sets, and recently I was reacquainted with some of my old sets :)

So, what happened? My daughters now aged 7 and 11 have had small Lego Creator and Friends sets for the last couple of years but it was only when we got a huge bin of Lego pieces last November and some old part sets from my sister, handed back from my parents house!

Yay, how nice it was to pour it all over the floor one day and look through it with them. I am an inveterate 'sorter' so it was not long before the huge white dustbin 2/3rds full began to be organised into colours of bricks and then slowly into types. I am still sorting bits very slowly as and when I have the time! It is slow going.

It's been great to remember all the joy that Lego brought to me and my sister and a couple of our friends (from a fairly small Yorkshire village getting together) playing after school and in the holidays. I also found my certificate as a Finalist in the 1981 Lego UK Building Championship, autographed by Mr Roy Castle OBE host of the 1970s TV Show, Record Breakers, along with my old Lego Club badges!

Its great to see that my kids have really begun to like the fun of lego building and they have even helped me sort out my old classic space stuff. I love that old blue and yellow era! Maybe I will take some photos of the sets I have and share them?

Regards

Matt

Glad to have you on Eurobricks, Matt. And I'm sure some pictures of your old sets would be welcome here :classic:

Hello and welcome to Eurobricks !

I hope to see some of your old sets in here ! What is your oldest one ? And what is your oldest part ?

Thanks guys. I just need to work out some photo hosting, I am not the worlds best at this ;) My oldest set, hmm. Well since I just acquired the 2nd Edition of the Lego Collector I can look that up! The oldest I think I have include:-

the tow truck from 651 of 1972, I was born the year after!

boxed supplementary 224 which are curved trans clear pieces

435 tipper truck 1976

I have a bunch of armless early minifigs too from this era.

The first set with "minifig" I clearly remember getting was 918 Space Transport, after a lot of sorting out of parts and getting a few extra pieces I have managed to make this up using online instructions with the stuff from my old collection. I loved the Legoland Space stuff and I also have 894 amongst others from the "grey" vehicles.

Thanks!

Matt