Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

The Outpost, 1700s

thindexedgif.gif 183D

6093791129_d35139df83_b.jpg

I acquired one of the newer Redcoat shakos at the BaM bar a couple months ago, but until now I'd never had a use for it. I don't own any Redcoat torsos, so I decided I'd use a Crusader torso. A later soldier of the faction. From there, I decided to do a 'part 2' version of my MOC, The Outpost.

6094330352_df9e3312fd_b.jpg

I debated between making the lower level a storage area or a prison with a pirate in it. In the end, I opted to use the latter to continue the theme from my Castle version of the MOC of a peaceful scene with one minifig.

6094330916_c70955719d_b.jpg

I love this thing. :pir-wub: Really happy with how it turned out. I always thought that TLG's cannon were too big. Plus the black head-black fez combo worked beautifully here.

6093792497_b1b0f1bbf0_b.jpg

Originally I was going to have this guy holding his musket pointed up to the sky in a typical guard's pose, but I wanted to try out my flex tubing arm technique in conjunction with a musket. And it's another connection between this and the Castle version. (where the guard was aiming a crossbow over the wall.

6093795495_ed5bd42818_b.jpg

I always love including brick-built birds. They always look better than the prefab ones, too me. I also tried to work more on my rockwork here. I always have trouble with that. The piece of grass is the perfect touch of green here, if I do say so myself.

6094334822_7b17b46e5d_b.jpg

I knew I wanted to have a lot of detail back here, but once I decided it would be a storage area, I went with all-brown items. I think it's a great addition of detailing that makes the scene more realistic, but being in one color, it blends nicely into the wooden portions of the outpost itself, allowing viewers to concentrate on the soldier and cannon. (which, of course, are the focal points of the MOC)

6094335520_4951ca18ae_b.jpg

Fire in the hole!

I just had to say it. :pir-grin:

More flex tubing comes into play here. Stuffing the flame piece into the end looks a lot better that the 4L bar and telescope combo that TLG uses, I think.

Finished August 2011. The SNOT wall technique I first saw used by Dan Church, and the cannon was inspired by SlyOwl. C&C welcome; thanks for looking! :pir-classic:

Fantastic doctor, the soldier's arm's with tubing a huge :thumbup: ,so to the SNOT work.....oh, yeah the cannon :thumbup: and finally, keep your eye on the birdie.....yes, the sea gull - AWESOME ! :pir-grin:

Brick On 'BrickDoctor' ! :pir-grin:

The monkey arms are a reall cool technique, and overall it looks very clean and well done. That duck is awesome too!

I do remember the outpost Moc, and I have to say this comes up to the standards you set yourself to :) I love it,

the tube use for arms is also good, at first I didn't notice till you told us. Your small canon design is one of the better I have seen, great chose of bricks there.

Bart

Of course it's a small MOC, but I can see you've put quite a lot of thought and effort in it.

It contains many nice techniques, and I especially like the cannon design a lot.

Also good job on photographing. Somehow the flex tubing arms look a bit weird to me.

But still, nice job and a well deserved spot on the blog :pir-classic:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Thanks, everyone. :pir-classic:

Do you mind if I borrow your idea?

Not at all, though I do ask you give proper credit if you do so. :pir-wink:

Somehow the flex tubing arms look a bit weird to me.

Yeah, some people say that. I guess they look too skinny from some angles. But that's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make for the extra pose-ability.

But still, nice job and a well deserved spot on the blog :pir-classic:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Thanks. :pir-sweet:

That's a brilliant wall technique, the tile grooves give a very nice stone effect. The cannon is great as well, nice piece combination right there.

I don't like the tube arms though, and in terms of posability you can achieve relatively the same effect using regular arms.

I don't like the tube arms though, and in terms of posability you can achieve relatively the same effect using regular arms.

Not really. The back arm doesn't come up, over, and then down on the gun.

The MOC looks great, too bad you couldn't find a real redcoat torso. :pirate_sad2: (A Bluecoat one was even better!) :pir_laugh2:

I also like your cannon design, hes made in the right proportions!

Greetz Bjornu

Edited by Bjornu